What's new

ZenWiFi XT8 new firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25524

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We can pretty much determine that firmware 25524 is pretty bad overall. I did rollback to 25224 for a bit and it did seem better. I’ve been on the 386 RC2 firmware for three days or so and it’s been pretty solid. I was experiencing WiFi dropouts
and the 5ghz1 channel would drop to half it’s normal speed. I took the 5ghz2 backhaul channel and made it 160mhz only and set it to channel 112. So far it’s been working fantastic.
i did find on the 5ghz1 channel if you try to restrict it to AX only it caused quite a few problems, so I set it to automatic and 20/40/80 channel width and now all my AX devices connect at 1201 mbps like they should and all my AC clients are running at 866 mbps. Also not a single slowdown on the node so far. Best it’s worked since I got it so there is hope down the line it will work as intended. I do have my RT-AX58U on standby just in case it all goes south.

As soon as you add another mesh node, the "Enable 160 Mhz" disappears. Also, the ""Tri-Band Smart Connect (2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2)" goes away and gets replaced with "Dual-Band". There doesn't appear that there's anything that can be done to enable 160 MHz, or Tri-band Smart Connect again short of a factory reset. Not setting it to ethernet backhaul, or trying to change the SSID of the 5GHz-2 band to the same as the as the 2.4/5-1 band (which can;t be done). Interesting.

I'm trying out the 9.0.0.4.386_38936-gab07b3f beta firmware. So far so good. A few observations. Maybe I missed it in the ASUS firmwares, but there is a button under AiMesh->System Settings that forces Ethernet Backhaul mode. Once set, "Tri-Band Smart Connect (2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2)" comes back, and the same SSID name is given to all 3 radios. There is still no option to enable 160MHz, which was there in the 3.0.0.4.386_24926-g3b4fcd0 firmware until I added a mesh node. And even though I have WPA2/WPA3-Personal authentication enabled, only WPA2 shows up in a survey and my WPA3 capable devices only connect using WPA2.

Last edited:
I'm trying out the 9.0.0.4.386_38936-gab07b3f beta firmware. So far so good. A few observations. Maybe I missed it in the ASUS firmwares, but there is a button under AiMesh->System Settings that forces Ethernet Backhaul mode. Once set, "Tri-Band Smart Connect (2.4GHz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2)" comes back, and the same SSID name is given to all 3 radios. There is still no option to enable 160MHz, which was there in the 3.0.0.4.386_24926-g3b4fcd0 firmware until I added a mesh node. And even though I have WPA2/WPA3-Personal authentication enabled, only WPA2 shows up in a survey and my WPA3 capable devices only connect using WPA2.

To enable 160 MHz just set 5GHz-2 to channel 100.

I have the XT8 system since a few days back, a really good looking system. But having issues with the connection between router and nod. Everything is fine for a while, GREAT connection at 5ghz.. then from nowhere it drops to 2,4ghz and a weak signal... When I check wifi with any analyzer app my dBm is -40 to -55 witch is really good. So I dont understand the drop... Now I tried the RC2 build.. it gave me hope for 2hours (best connection so far..) then the drop came back again and weak signal. I rip my hair off soon or my family will kill me...

EDIT: For the moment my system has been running real good for 2 days now. I locked 5ghz_2 backhaul to 160mhz only and using channel 128. But I do run the RC2 beta build.. havent tried the setting with official fw yet.. dont know if I dare to do that either... *lol*

Last edited:
I've finally got to the bottom of the "160Mhz" option missing in Canada. Canadian regulations do not allow use of channels 120, 124, and 128 due to the fact that Canadian Weather Radar operates on those channels. Since there are 3 missing channels right in the middle of the 5GHz spectrum, there are not 8 consecutive channels needed to allow 160Mhz.

What I’m saying is constructive because wouldn’t you know it, a google search for Zen wifi leads straight to this thread and I think it’s unfair to potential customers to read all these complaints and get the wrong idea when the system WORKS JUST FINE. Seriously. Just enjoy your wifi and stop worrying. There is NOTHING wrong with this firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I found this thread because of issues with my XT8 I bought in March. Many of the same issues. I had to send off one of the 2pk which had a Yellow weak signal led. After reset it would only join the AI mesh if I used a network cable. It would not join on wi-if. They received the unit May 11th 2022. Concluded unrepairable. But because of parts shortages they couldn’t provide an eta for replacement. So I had it escalated. The RMA process is very frustrating speaking with a different person every time. You have to bring each person up to speed. Yesterday they agreed to replace but they want the other unit from the 2pk. So I guess I’ll have to use the hot spot on my phone for critical items. I have 34 devices. Also shipping is on my dime. All in all this experience ranks as POS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!