What's new

[ 3004.388.7 alpha 1 Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is unrelated to miniupnp.

That log does not show any error, it doesn't in fact show any client query, only usual broadcast traffic.
Well, as soon as I revert to current firmware it all works. Will check again once an update is available weather it's fixed. Maybe somebody else on Windows 10 and steam or bnet games can check if they get the same moderate Nat. Thanks

Well, as soon as I revert to current firmware it all works. Will check again once an update is available weather it's fixed. Maybe somebody else on Windows 10 and steam or bnet games can check if they get the same moderate Nat. Thanks
Try again using the updated command (-d) in post #17. It should provide more information.

Well, as soon as I revert to current firmware it all works
It's possible, but that does not help me in figuring out what is going on. I know that IGD2 was enabled in this new build, and I'm specifically looking for info as to whether the miniupnpd author resolved the Windows compatibility issues that were previously present or not.

It's possible, but that does not help me in figuring out what is going on. I know that IGD2 was enabled in this new build, and I'm specifically looking for info as to whether the miniupnpd author resolved the Windows compatibility issues that were previously present or not.
Mar 20 12:46:29 miniupnpd[29564]: version 2.3.3 starting NAT-PMP/PCP UPnP-IGD ext if eth0 BOOTID=1710899189
Mar 20 12:46:29 miniupnpd[29564]: HTTP listening on port 45305
Mar 20 12:46:29 miniupnpd[29564]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Mar 20 12:46:30 miniupnpd[29564]: HTTP REQUEST from 192.168.50.185:50282 : GET /rootDesc.xml (HTTP/1.1)
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: SSDP M-SEARCH from 192.168.50.185:54628 ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: Single search found
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: SSDP M-SEARCH from 192.168.50.185:54628 ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANPPPConnection:1
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: Single search found
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: HTTP REQUEST from 192.168.50.185:50468 : GET /rootDesc.xml (HTTP/1.1)
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: HTTP REQUEST from 192.168.50.185:50469 : POST /ctl/IPConn (HTTP/1.1)
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: SOAPAction: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1#GetExternalIPAddress
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: HTTP REQUEST from 192.168.50.185:50470 : POST /ctl/IPConn (HTTP/1.1)
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: SOAPAction: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1#GetSpecificPortMappingEntry
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: Returning UPnPError 714: NoSuchEntryInArray
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: HTTP REQUEST from 192.168.50.185:50471 : POST /ctl/IPConn (HTTP/1.1)
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: SOAPAction: urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1#AddPortMapping
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: AddPortMapping: ext port 3097 to 192.168.50.185:3097 protocol UDP for: DemonwarePortMapping leaseduration=0 rhost=
Mar 20 12:47:03 miniupnpd[29564]: redirecting port 3097 to 192.168.50.185:3097 protocol UDP for: DemonwarePortMapping
Mar 20 12:47:10 miniupnpd[29564]: SSDP M-SEARCH from 192.168.50.185:52121 ST: urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1
Mar 20 12:47:11 miniupnpd[29564]: SSDP M-SEARCH from 192.168.50.185:52121 ST: urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1
Mar 20 12:47:12 miniupnpd[29564]: SSDP M-SEARCH from 192.168.50.185:52121 ST: urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1

This is on the current firmware 388.6-2 and loaded up destiny 2 via steam. All works normal.

I'm going to move back to Windows 11 as ironically I was testing other things and this popped up. Windows 11 is my main os, so it's a chance it's a Windows 10 thing.
Confirming that this issue is on both windows 10 and 11 games showing Moderate Nat on this alpha

Anything else I can do? I'll just port forward on this alpha for now so I don't have to go back and forth

Last edited:
Confirming that this issue is on both windows 10 and 11 games showing Moderate Nat on this alpha

Anything else I can do? I'll just port forward on this alpha for now so I don't have to go back and forth
Nothing has changed there, it's still the same NAT implementation that has been there for years.

Nothing has changed there, it's still the same NAT implementation that has been there for years.
Upnp just doesn't work for gaming hence the moderate Nat type on Windows. Anything else I can try? Basically upnp is not working on this build for games. So it should probably be noted on the front page.

Upnp just doesn't work for gaming hence the moderate Nat type on Windows. Anything else I can try? Basically upnp is not working on this build for games. So it should probably be noted on the front page.
UPNP merely forwards a port in the firewall. It has nothing to do with NAT type.

I have no idea what "moderate NAT" means, it's just a vague description Microsoft uses that does not say anything about the technical details behind it...

UPNP merely forwards a port in the firewall. It has nothing to do with NAT type.

I have no idea what "moderate NAT" means, it's just a vague description Microsoft uses that does not say anything about the technical details behind it...
Basically what's happening is that upnp isn't working correctly with Windows for games. A moderate Nat type message appears in games when the ports needed for said games isn't open or being forwarded. You mentioned that the router received no request from Windows in my previous log which tells me that upnp is just broken on the router in this alpha. Maybe you can test it yourself by downloading a game on steam which required ports to be opened to play. I will revert back to the previous firmware as it seems I can't be of anymore help. Thanks

The messaging in games about NAT isn’t great, because it’s actually noting weather the port it’s listening for is open. Moderate and strict nat types mean UPNP is failing.

The messaging in games about NAT isn’t great, because it’s actually noting weather the port it’s listening for is open. Moderate and strict nat types mean UPNP is failing.
"Moderate NAT" can refer to a wide range of "issues", some of which are trivial and don't affect online gameplay. The problem is Microsoft does not specify if their complain is whether a port isn't forwarded, or whether you are using Symmetric NAT rather than Fullcone NAT and are running multiple consoles.

Maybe you can test it yourself by downloading a game on steam which required ports to be opened to play.
I don't own any online game, and all of my machines are also under Windows 11. And Microsoft discontinued their XBox companion app that allowed to report the NAT type for Xbox-based gaming, so I have no way of testing it.

I would recommend rebooting the PC after updating the firmware, to ensure it redetects the router and its new IGD version. You could also try launching miniupnpd with the "-1" parameter (that's a numerical one), which should force miniupnpd to report itself as being V1 even despite being compiled with V2 support.

I'll have to wait and see if there are more reports of results with Windows 10. The initial issue related to BITS and IGDv2 compatibility were resolved by the developer, however we'll need more feedback to ensure that the rest of the applications are working properly with IGDv2.

The reason why I want this tested rather than immediately give up is because IGDv2 adds support for pinholing. This allows a computer/game to open a port in the IPv6 firewall, similar to what an IPv4 port forward would do. This would be required for things like online gaming over IPv6 addresses.

"Moderate NAT" can refer to a wide range of "issues", some of which are trivial and don't affect online gameplay. The problem is Microsoft does not specify if their complain is whether a port isn't forwarded, or whether you are using Symmetric NAT rather than Fullcone NAT and are running multiple consoles.

I don't own any online game, and all of my machines are also under Windows 11. And Microsoft discontinued their XBox companion app that allowed to report the NAT type for Xbox-based gaming, so I have no way of testing it.

I would recommend rebooting the PC after updating the firmware, to ensure it redetects the router and its new IGD version. You could also try launching miniupnpd with the "-1" parameter (that's a numerical one), which should force miniupnpd to report itself as being V1 even despite being compiled with V2 support.

I'll have to wait and see if there are more reports of results with Windows 10. The initial issue related to BITS and IGDv2 compatibility were resolved by the developer, however we'll need more feedback to ensure that the rest of the applications are working properly with IGDv2.

The reason why I want this tested rather than immediately give up is because IGDv2 adds support for pinholing. This allows a computer/game to open a port in the IPv6 firewall, similar to what an IPv4 port forward would do. This would be required for things like online gaming over IPv6 addresses.
Moderate or strict Nat types only mean 1 thing, ports aren't forwarded. Its got nothing to do with xbox. It's quite complexing as this could be checked quite easily on your end with a very small free game on steam. This affects Windows 10 and 11 on my testing.

It's quite complexing as this could be checked quite easily on your end with a very small free game on steam
Can you specify one? I have no idea which specific games there actually requires to locally open ports.

Call of Duty would be one. Warzone is free. In the settings menu it will tell you if the port is open with the NAT messaging.

Upnp works with my son's PS5 specifically Call of Duty, I know it's not windows 10 but you can not generalize that it's not working with games. Although the usual IPv4 port forwrds/mapping doesn't show in the port forwarding system log in this build. Maybe now it's using IPv6 port mappings/forwards since @RMerlin enabled that feature.

Upnp works with my son's PS5 specifically Call of Duty, I know it's not windows 10 but you can not generalize that it's not working with games. Although the usual IPv4 port forwrds/mapping doesn't show in the port forwarding system log in this build. Maybe now it's using IPv6 port mappings/forwards since @RMerlin enabled that feature.
That's because playstion consoles use a fork of freebsd. The issue is with Windows systems. Call of duty has never used ipv6 for game servers, all of them are ipv4 and fully dedicated.

You said it works with windows 11 and not windows 10? So there must be different upnp implimentation between the two.
I tested w11 yesterday also and it doesn't work.

No issues on my windows 11 installation including games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!