What's new

378.55 (AC68U) random internet disconnects?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnnyBeGood

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Ever since I upgraded from 378.53_0 to 378.55 I get random internet disconnects. Signal bar shows its connected but when I hover over it says "no internet access". Already did factory reset and I'm using it as access point connected to pfSense v2.2.4 and Comcast 100/10 internet.
I've upgraded from so many versions in the past and never had this issue.
What could it be?

No, the only one thing that I've changed after factory reset is set to Access Point mode. That's all. Everything else is default.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Did you try to 'forget' the ssid on the affected devices and re-associate each one again? Or better yet, simply use new ssid's?

No, I haven't tried that. I will now and post back if it happens again. Thanks for suggestions!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It happened again :confused:
In the mean time I've upgraded to Windows 10.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I had this exact issue on my AC68u and same firmware version, connected to wi-fi.

.54_2 does not have this issue.

I suspect it's due to Asus' wi-fi drivers. Best to revert to older firmware and wait for a newer firmware build with different set of wifi drivers.

I had this exact issue on my AC68u and same firmware version, connected to wi-fi.

.54_2 does not have this issue.

I suspect it's due to Asus' wi-fi drivers. Best to revert to older firmware and wait for a newer firmware build with different set of wifi drivers.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. For me v378.53 worked so I reverted back to that and will test if it makes any difference.

This issue is back even with the latest v378.56
I was so hopping it would solve this issue and I can move on.
Now I have to go back to v378.53 :(

This issue is back even with the latest v378.56
I was so hopping it would solve this issue and I can move on.
Now I have to go back to v378.53 :(

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering upgrading to .56, but looks like I'll stick with 54_2 for now.

You're welcome.
I'm surprised after so many builds that wasn't fixed.
Its not something cosmetic but disconnection of wireless network!

Hi all,

Ever since I upgraded from 378.53_0 to 378.55 I get random internet disconnects. Signal bar shows its connected but when I hover over it says "no internet access". Already did factory reset and I'm using it as access point connected to pfSense v2.2.4 and Comcast 100/10 internet.
I've upgraded from so many versions in the past and never had this issue.
What could it be?

After over a week on 378.56, I can confirm the same experience on my RT-AC68R (PPPoE connection to ISP). It is not just on WiFi connections, but occurs on LAN connections as well. The Wireless log confirms that the clients connected by WiFi have not disconnected. And nothing is showing up in the System General log when the internet disconnect occurs. The symptoms manifest themselves most obviously on my Smart TVs, some on WiFi and some on LAN when streaming videos from Youtube or other VoD services. Because it has been affecting both my WiFi and LAN connected TVs, and on a range of different video streaming services, I have to conclude the problem is with the WiFi router or my ISP.

However, reverting back to 378.53 fixes the problem as you have found. So in this case, I have ruled out the ISP.

Anyone tried 378.56_2?

Thanks for chaming in!

I take it that you never experienced these disconnects like some of us do?

No. Check your System Log. If you see any sign of "Ethernet is down" in there, it means your modem just rebooted itself - this is usually the sign of either a dying modem (common with cheaper DSL modems), or a cable modem losing sync with your ISP and rebooting itself in an attempt to re-establish the connection. Over the years, a lot of reports of random disconnections were really ISP or modem issues - especially when those reports of the Ethernet interface going down get logged.

Update: Updated to the latest version v378.56_2 and it happened again two times in the below time frame. Nothing shows its related to "Ethernet is down" and I refreshed log page multiple times.
Even when it happened around 18:32 it did not log it?

For now I have to go back to v378.53_0

Code:
Nov  6 14:01:41 kernel: cdc_mbim: loaded
Nov  6 14:01:41 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_mbim
Nov  6 14:01:42 disk_monitor: Finish
Nov  6 14:01:43 disk monitor: be idle
Nov  6 15:01:27 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 639:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Nov  6 16:01:28 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 655:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Nov  6 17:01:30 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 665:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Nov  6 18:01:32 rc_service: udhcpc_lan 676:notify_rc start_dnsmasq

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!