What's new

Actiontec Moca 2.0 issue Please help me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The adapters (ECB6200K02) operate in the MoCA Extended D Band only, 1125-1675 MHz. The (likely) problem is that this is also within the operating frequency of DOCSIS 3.1.

That all depends on where @Unibrowser lives. The planned Docsis extension is for the first stage to run up to 1218 Mhz. The second stage is to run up to 1794 Mhz. You can work around the first stage extension. The second stage extension would require adapters to move up beyond 1794 Mhz. MoCA 3.0?? I've only read of one ISP that uses the first stage extension, which happens to be located in Europe, Denmark possibly? I haven't seen any announcements from North American ISPs indicating that they've moved their Docsis frequency range up into either of the planned extension ranges.

Even if that were the case, I doubt that the ISP is using the upper 1794 Mhz range. But, hey, anything is possible. This should be easy enough to figure out. @Unibrowser can set the adapters to use the D-High range for test purposes, which runs in the 1350 to 1675 Mhz range. That will keep the adapters out of the lower Docsis extension range. It will drop the adapter max data rate however, but, I'd only do this for test purposes. If that didn't change anything I'd discount the possibility that the adapters are running in the same frequency range as the modem.

@Unibrowser you asked if you could use a lower frequency. Maybe, and then .... maybe not. It depends on what the modems are configured for. It would appear that some ISPs may be using the OFDM channel for Docsis 3.1 operation on the downstream side, leaving the conventional QAM channels to serve as a backup in the case of an OFDM channel failure. In that case, you would have to know where those QAM channels are located by looking at the modem's DOCSIS WAN signal data. You might be able to configure the adapters to a avoid the lower QAM channel range but, I wouldn't guarantee success in that case. If the modem reboots for any reason, you could end up with a different QAM channel range which overlaps your specified adapter frequency range. So, that plan goes out the window.

And then, from posts in the DSLReports forums, it would appear that some ISPs may be using a hybrid configuration, running both QAM channels and the OFDM channel simultaneously on the downstream side. Same comments from above apply here. You might be able to configure the adapters to a lower range, but once again, a modem reboot could throw that out the window.

My thinking is that this is something else. A cabling issue, or connector issue possibly??

The adapter and modem should be configured as follows, from what I've read:

MoCA splitter -- RG-6 cable -- Adapter input --> Adapter output -- RG-6 cable -- modem -- ethernet -- router Wan port.

From the router you would have: Router LAN port -- ethernet -- Adapter ethernet port

I'd have a careful look at the RG-6 cable that runs from the adapter output to the modem. Take a look at both ends of the cable and ensure that the center copper conductor is not contacting any of the braided aluminum shield. If you happen to have another RG-6 cable that you can use for test purposes, I'd give that a try.

What happens when the adapters aren't connected? As in:

MoCA splitter -- RG-6 cable -- modem -- ethernet -- Router Wan port --> Router LAN port -- ethernet -- PC.

What do you get for data rates in that configuration?

Is there any chance that the external cable isn't connected properly to the MoCA splitter for some reason? That would explain the high internal data rates, accompanied with low internet data rates which rely on the connection to the neighbourhood node.

Edit: giving this some additional thought, @Unibrowser if you log into your modem and have a look at the DOCSIS WAN signal data, you should see the operating frequency for the OFDM channel. With a Hitron modem, the indicated frequency is probably the lower starting frequency of the OFDM channel. If the ISP is using the whole channel, it will run up 192 Mhz from that initial frequency. That data will tell you right away if the adapter D-Band is overlapping the modems OFDM channel.

Last edited:
There was an option to change the band and channel. If Docsis 3.1 is high, could I configure the Moca on lower frequency?
Posted earlier:
Have you reviewed the linked posts, recommending checking your in-use frequencies? And checking whether your Internet speeds recover when you power-down your MoCA gear (and leave it off) and reboot your modem & router?
Quoting:
Based on what you find...
  • If the modem is not using frequencies above 1002 MHz, install a "PoE" MoCA filter on the modem’s coax input (distinct from the "PoE" MoCA filter required at the cable Point-of-Entry), reenable your MoCA gear, and see if performance improves. This solution is based on the experience that some DOCSIS 3.1 modems don't behave well when MoCA signals are present on the coax, owing to DOCSIS 3.1 and MoCA using overlapping frequencies.
  • If the modem IS using frequencies above 1002 MHz, precluding use of a protective MoCA filter on the modem's coax input port, you may need Cox to wire a dedicated coax line for the modem -- though one other alternative may be to try manually configuring a MoCA channel above the DOCSIS 3.1 range.

That all depends on where @Unibrowser lives. The planned Docsis extension is for the first stage to run up to 1218 Mhz.
It's not just about whether the frequencies are in-use, but how a modem reacts when MoCA signals are hitting the modem within the DOCSIS 3.1 range. A number of DOCSIS 3.1 modems have shown instability when MoCA signals are present, likely struggling to handle MoCA where DOCSIS 3.1 is expected.

My money remains on a simple MoCA filter fix ... though adjusting the MoCA adapters to sub-band D-High may be a workaround until the new MoCA filter arrives. Whether the channel change could be a preferred fix depends on performance of the MoCA network at the higher frequency, and whether there's concern that the provider *could* make use of the DOCSIS 3.1 range.

Yup, not discounting the possibility that the modem won't run correctly when an external MoCA signal is present, which requires a MoCA filter to resolve. Beyond that, if the MoCA filter makes no difference, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Running a speed test without the adapters connected, but with the MoCA splitter in place would add another piece of the puzzle. With low rates, I'd expect the problem to be at the splitter. With high rates, then you could be absolutely correct, that the modem isn't a happy camper when a MoCA network is running on the same cable system. ..

Running a speed test without the adapters connected, but with the MoCA splitter in place would add another piece of the puzzle.
Concur.
... And checking whether your Internet speeds recover when you power-down your MoCA gear (and leave it off) and reboot your modem & router?
I'd think it sufficient to have the MoCA adapters powered-off, rather than removing them; and I'd recommend powering-off the modem and router then restarting them, to refresh them, rather than a warm reboot.

Last edited:
Concur.
I'd think it sufficient to have the MoCA adapters powered-off, rather than removing them; and I'd recommend powering-off the modem and router then restarting them, to refresh them, rather than a warm reboot.

I did exactly that just a minute ago. Got my 480mbps back instantly

Concur.

So... considering that the install tech put a splitter rated for 5-1002 in the attic, I will go on a limb and say that the modem is running at the lower range. That also means that my issues are from the moca signal hitting the modem, my 2nd moca filter will be here Saturday, I'm super excited.

I did exactly that just a minute ago. Got my 480mbps back instantly
Good deal.

Next test would be setting the MoCA adapters to use sub-band D-High, which, as detailed by @Datalink above, is sufficiently above the DOCSIS 3.1 "first stage" frequency max (1218 MHz) to avoid conflict ... assuming the modem was designed to block/ignore signals above its spec'd range. (e.g. This may be the specs for the Hitron, indicating its spec'd range is only up through 1218 MHz.)

(The MoCA filter likely *will* fix the issue, but I expect many viewers would be interested to learn if D-High works as an alternative.)

So... considering that the install tech put a splitter rated for 5-1002 in the attic, I will go on a limb and say that the modem is running at the lower range.
That splitter isn't ideal for MoCA networking, less so for bonded MoCA 2.0, but a splitter doesn't act like a filter ... in that frequencies above its spec'd range aren't blocked; rather, treatment of frequencies beyond a splitter's spec'd range are undocumented, but typically suffer greater attenuation (but not the severe attenuation [i.e. blocking] present in a filter).

You likely *will* want to upgrade that splitter to improve your MoCA network performance, but you can likely get things working with it in place.

Good deal.

Next test would be setting the MoCA adapters to use sub-band D-High, which, as detailed by @Datalink above, is sufficiently above the DOCSIS 3.1 "first stage" frequency max (1218 MHz) to avoid conflict ... assuming the modem was designed to block/ignore signals above its spec'd range. (e.g. This may be the specs for the Hitron, indicating its spec'd range is only up through 1218 MHz.)

(The MoCA filter likely *will* fix the issue, but I expect many viewers would be interested to learn if D-High works as an alternative.)

Ok interesting. So I should try this now? I'm not sure if I should manually change the RF channel or will it do it on it's own if I was to select a different band? Last but not least, when I access the settings(a pain) I am doing so through the IP address I found online, but I'm not sure if I'm only accessing 1 device or both settings? Someone else on a different site mentioned hooking the ethernet directly from adapter to PC to change settings.

Attachments

• 20190703_185640.jpg
    20190703_185640.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 208
That splitter isn't ideal for MoCA networking, less so for bonded MoCA 2.0, but a splitter doesn't act like a filter ... in that frequencies above its spec'd range aren't blocked; rather, treatment of frequencies beyond a splitter's spec'd range are undocumented, but typically suffer greater attenuation (but not the severe attenuation [i.e. blocking] present in a filter).

You likely *will* want to upgrade that splitter to improve your MoCA network performance, but you can likely get things working with it in place.

Yeah I already replaced it with a moca splitter 5-1675mhz

Someone else on a different site mentioned hooking the ethernet directly from adapter to PC to change settings.
I'd agree with that recommendation, and I'd configure both adapters the same way. (Set both to use D-High.)

What happens when you click on that selection drop-down for "RF Band"? (I believe that that is where you'd find the D-High sub-band option.)

And what are the selectable "RF Switch" options?

By the way my modem is the one capable of their Gigabit internet plan. They have nothing higher up. It's their only docsis 3.1 modem(so I was told). They also said the 3.0 modems all have moca abilities but they disable it. They dont deal with it, nor whole home DVR. (Bastards)

I'd agree with that recommendation, and I'd configure both adapters the same way. (Set both to use D-High.)

What happens when you click on that selection drop-down for "RF Band"? (I believe that that is where you'd find the D-High sub-band option.)

And what are the selectable "RF Switch" options?

The band option has like 6 different band options. The switch if I remember was just high and low

They also said the 3.0 modems all have moca abilities but they disable it. They dont deal with it, nor whole home DVR. (Bastards)
Consider yourself lucky as it's likely the gateways with built-in MoCA bridging wouldn't support bonded MoCA 2.0, just standard 2.0.

So should I try changing the settings now? Ir should I wait for the filter and see what happens? Here are the SS of the settings

Attachments

• 20190704_103143.jpg
    20190704_103143.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 20190704_103136.jpg
    20190704_103136.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 253
So should I try changing the settings now? Ir should I wait for the filter and see what happens? Here are the SS of the settings
It's up to you, but I'd certainly be curious as to your results were you to set "RF Band" to "Band D-High" for both of your adapters ... the option highlighted via the arrow in your image (annotated):

MoCA adapter settings annotated.jpg

p.s. But your screenshot leaves me with new questions, for another thread, as to whether these ECB6200 MoCA 2.0 adapters are capable of working in other MoCA bands beside Band D. As my above post highlights, my understanding was that they were Band D-only.

The adapters are capable of running more than just D Band. Here a reference to the MoCA 1.1 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA1/specification/MoCA_Specification_for_Device_RF_Characteristics.pdf

Section 2.1 MoCA Frequency Plan Page 7/18 lays out the channels and their center frequencies.

MoCA 2.0/2.5:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/sp...and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pdf

The various bands are shown from page 8 to 14. The page of interest is page 13 Figure 2-6. MoCA 2.5 Extended Band D Frequency Plan.

@Unibrowser can you confirm what splitter you installed? Was it a MoCA 1.1 or a MoCA 2.0 splitter. MoCA 1.1 only runs up to 1500 Mhz where MoCA 2.0 runs up to 1675 Mhz. Your indication of a "MoCA cert one that is 5-1675mhz" doesn't conform to the stated specs. I'm reading that as a MoCA 1.1 splitter that runs from 5 to 1675 Mhz, which would be incorrect. Is my interpretation incorrect? To allow the adapters to run at their highest rated capability, you would need a MoCA 2.0 splitter installed, which runs up to 1675 Mhz such as these:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00P6VHLP0/?tag=smallncom-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00OTO99VY/?tag=smallncom-20

Looking at the frequency plan on page 8, it calls for the possibility of operating two bonded-pair channels in the D-High sub-band, so, it might not hurt your adapter throughput if you were to adjust them to operate solely in the D-High sub-band. As @krkaufman points out, it would be an interesting experiment to shift the adapters operating band up above the MoCA frequency range of the modem, just to see if that allows the modem to operate correctly. Even if the modem MoCA capability is disabled by the ISP, it would appear that the disabling itself does not cause the modem to totally ignore any MoCA network operating on the same cable system.

The adapters are capable of running more than just D Band. Here a reference to the MoCA 1.1 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA1/specification/MoCA_Specification_for_Device_RF_Characteristics.pdf

Section 2.1 MoCA Frequency Plan Page 7/18 lays out the channels and their center frequencies.

MoCA 2.0/2.5:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/sp...and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pdf

The various bands are shown from page 8 to 14. The page of interest is page 13 Figure 2-6. MoCA 2.5 Extended Band D Frequency Plan.

@Unibrowser can you confirm what splitter you installed? Was it a MoCA 1.1 or a MoCA 2.0 splitter. MoCA 1.1 only runs up to 1500 Mhz where MoCA 2.0 runs up to 1675 Mhz. Your indication of a "MoCA cert one that is 5-1675mhz" doesn't conform to the stated specs. I'm reading that as a MoCA 1.1 splitter that runs from 5 to 1675 Mhz, which would be incorrect. Is my interpretation incorrect? To allow the adapters to run at their highest rated capability, you would need a MoCA 2.0 splitter installed, which runs up to 1675 Mhz such as these:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00P6VHLP0/?tag=smallncom-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00OTO99VY/?tag=smallncom-20

Looking at the frequency plan on page 8, it calls for the possibility of operating two bonded-pair channels in the D-High sub-band, so, it might not hurt your adapter throughput if you were to adjust them to operate solely in the D-High sub-band. As @krkaufman points out, it would be an interesting experiment to shift the adapters operating band up above the MoCA frequency range of the modem, just to see if that allows the modem to operate correctly. Even if the modem MoCA capability is disabled by the ISP, it would appear that the disabling itself does not cause the modem to totally ignore any MoCA network operating on the same cable system.

This is the splitter I used in the attic. The other splitter in the living room is the one that came in the box from Actiontec.

Attachments

• holland_electronics_ghs_2pro_m_2_way_splitter_moca_catv_cable_tv_mso__51685.1445291127.jpg
    holland_electronics_ghs_2pro_m_2_way_splitter_moca_catv_cable_tv_mso__51685.1445291127.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 216

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!