What's new

Advice for Mostly Apple Devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lalato

Occasional Visitor
Howdy folks,
It's that time again. Time to replace ye olde wireless router. We're currently rocking a slowly fading Buffalo Airstation.

We have in our Victorian flat...
  • four MacOS computers (oldest is a 2009 Macbook Pro, newest is a 2015 Macbook Pro)
  • one Windows computer (HP laptop of fairly recent vintage)
  • a smattering of iOS devices (phones and tablet)
  • a QNAP NAS (TS-419P)... used mostly for Time Machine backups, but a bit of media too
  • an HP Printer (has built in wifi, but is currently connected via ethernet)
  • Internet provider is Comcast (not the fastest)
Oh great and mighty, please advise us on which wireless router would be best. Thanks!

The RT-AC1900P router is the best bang for the buck router you can currently get if you have access to a Best Buy near you.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/better-range-router.34948/#post-282979

The RT-AC3100 is one of the best routers you can currently buy, imo.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

The RT-AC87U is not a recommended model as for some, it has many insurmountable issues (still). There are much better options available today.

Asus routers with RMerlin firmware is the current best combination for highest performance, reliability and security. And Asus also supports their routers for the longest time too past purchase (or a few short months afterwards). For example, the RT-N66U is almost 5 years old and is still updated regularly with new releases that fix security concerns, provides features (as much as the older hardware is capable of) and generally keeps the router a viable tool for the right usage (lower ISP speeds (less than 50Mbps u/d, imo), smaller WiFi areas (particularly for the 5GHz band) and in networks with mostly non-AC clients.

What is your ISP speed? What is the SqFt of the area to be covered? What is the construction of the home's walls and floors? The answers to these questions will help to pinpoint a recommended (Asus) router.

And so is his gear most of it, or TP-LINK Archer C2600 cost less than the Asus 1900P

And so is his gear most of it, or TP-LINK Archer C2600 cost less than the Asus 1900P

What logic is that? Just because the rest of the network gear is older, the router should be a few generations behind too? :)

The reasons to stick to Asus (ongoing security, recent code (again security) used in core firmware, the longest support in the pro-con sumer industry and RMerlin's firmware and the forks thereof) far outweigh any cost savings over the 3 to 5 years most people keep and use a router for.

My point was apple with apple, yes RT-AC3100 (3989 SEK) maybe on of the best but cost also 2,5 times more than lets say Archer C2600 (1490 SEK) who is not bad at all.

Last edited:
My point was apple with apple, yes RT-AC3100 (3989 SEK) maybe on of the best but cost also 2,5 times more than lets say Archer C2600 (1490 SEK) who is not bad at all.

Apple with Apple makes sense. :) But current router makes much more sense (was already running non apple router, btw).

The price of the C2600 is what the RT-AC1900P would go for here (roughly). The price of the RT-AC3100 is what the RT-5300 goes for here (and more). Agree that by price, the C2600 seems like the better buy.

Doesn't change my opinion of it though as the sole defender of my digital doorway to the rest of the world. I'd rather save for the RT-AC3100, tbh. Even at 2.5x the cost.

What logic is that? Just because the rest of the network gear is older, the router should be a few generations behind too? :)

The reasons to stick to Asus (ongoing security, recent code (again security) used in core firmware, the longest support in the pro-con sumer industry and RMerlin's firmware and the forks thereof) far outweigh any cost savings over the 3 to 5 years most people keep and use a router for.

Airports aren't that far behind - the AC Extreme is AC1900 class, and a decent performer - it's relatively stable, just received a firmware update a little over a month ago, and it just works for the most part...

From a WiFi perspective - it's the same WiFi chips as the other popular broadcom based Router/AP's like the RT68U and the R7000, and it has more horsepower under the "hood" as it is using an upgraded version of the SoC used on other Broadcom AC1900's...

It does have a stateful firewall (based on the NetBSD pf firewall, same as pfSense), which many overlook, and the Guest Network functionality can be extended to multiple Airports, unlike other vendors - it has a pretty good QoS implementation out of the box, sadly no access to tweak it, but it really doesn't need tweaking.

From a security perspective - not having an embedded webserver (or SSH/Telnet for that matter) is probably a plus considering the recent DDOS attacks that are leveraging weaknesses in Asus, Netgear, and DLink devices...

Outside of the Airport - the Netgear R7000 is also a good choice for an Apple centric network - it pretty much works, but like the Airport, there are some IPv6 issues with some operators (which Asus also has problems with).

For an Apple centric network like OP has - I cannot advise going Asus as AsusWRT (and the forks) tends to be very problematic with certain Apple vertical features like AirPlay and Wireless Wake on LAN (which depend on Multicast DNS for discovery). It's not the Asus is bad, not hardly, but this issues have been outstanding for a long time, and there's little indication that Asus really gives a darn about it, as it continues to be a problem for Apple centric networks.

Going back to OP - the current Router/AP is a Buffalo Airstation (which there are many) - and their Broadcom AC1900 class devices are built on on DDWRT, and are fully supported by DDWRT as a third party development, so moving to a "new" device might not be productive in any case... maybe it's just a firmware upgrade to the full DDWRT platform.. what I like about the Buffalo devices - their very similar to Asus, except much better quality on the HW side... more attention to detail, better quality components...

Thanks for the tips everyone.

As for the Asus RT-AC1900, is it safe to assume that it is the same as the RT-AC68U?

With regard to the Router Ranker... the other highly ranked option is the Netgear R7000. Is it safe to assume that it's essentially a toss up between the Netgear and Asus? Does the Asus only get the advantage because of the RMerlin firmware?

EDIT: Just saw the notes regarding issues with some Apple-centric features. Does that push the needle over to the Netgear... or even an Aiport Extreme?

Last edited:
R7000 as it is a bit more Apple friendly... and has strong 3rd party support...

Thanks for the tips everyone.

As for the Asus RT-AC1900, is it safe to assume that it is the same as the RT-AC68U?

With regard to the Router Ranker... the other highly ranked option is the Netgear R7000. Is it safe to assume that it's essentially a toss up between the Netgear and Asus? Does the Asus only get the advantage because of the RMerlin firmware?

EDIT: Just saw the notes regarding issues with some Apple-centric features. Does that push the needle over to the Netgear... or even an Aiport Extreme?

Correction: the Asus RT-AC1900P (a Best Buy exclusive right now).

NG doesn't have my recommendation any longer (see post 7). It really is only Asus in this 'race'.

sfx2000 also lists many reasons for the AE as well as some possible reasons to not consider other routers.

My take on that is that simply, AE's are slower networking devices, ime, versus any Asus I've replaced them with (and even earlier, with NetGear products showing marked improvements in network performance over the then current Airport options available then).

My second thought is that even with your mostly Apple centric devices, it doesn't seem like you're using or at least have any issues with the possible problems sfx2000 mentioned outside of Apple's walled garden.

Your best bet is to get the top two or three routers suggested here and compare them directly yourself in your actual network environment and usage. Anything further is just guessing on anyone's part. :)

or you could get more apple APs.

OP has an Airstation (Buffalo), no Airports - however, note that Airport Extreme AC's go for $120 on the Apple Refurb site - and that's a pretty decent deal for an AC1900 class AP...

Nice thing about the Airports - they support two VLAN's out of the box - the default for the Primary SSID, and a secondary VLAN (1003) for the Guest/Secondary SSID - which is rare in this price point - having SSID/VLAN binding is a big deal when deploying multiple AP's in an extended WLAN...

My take on that is that simply, AE's are slower networking devices, ime, versus any Asus I've replaced them with (and even earlier, with NetGear products showing marked improvements in network performance over the then current Airport options available then).

Numbers?

Otherwise this is just an opinion (somewhat qualified, but none the less, just an opinion)

Numbers?

Otherwise this is just an opinion (somewhat qualified, but none the less, just an opinion)

With no 'numbers', I guess it's just my opinion right now. ;)

But the Apple products (all of them) run hot and is one aspect of their lessor performance, imo. Particularly when they are used at high loads.

I've posted this a few years ago, but when my AE was replaced with an NG3700 router (which was then quickly replaced with an Asus RT-N66U), the AE was literally given away (and I felt bad for the person I gave it to, too). The performance increase then was almost double the speeds with the NG router (for perspective, the 'N66U didn't offer that kind of performance increase over the NG3700).

FWIW - if OP wasn't so Apple heavy (he's got a lot of Apple gear), then I agree the Asus would be a decent choice, as they play well with Windows and to some degree Linux and Android...

It's just based on forum feedback - Asus and Apple don't play well together...

BTW - Notice I didn't recommend one of the hands down fastest AC1900 class - both on Wireless, Routing, and Filesharing, and it's not a Broadcom or QC-Atheros based device... even though I've been tracking them for a while now... (including their upcoming MU device, which should be interesting) - and also notice I didn't say throw everything out and pick up a pfSense/MicroTik/EdgeRouter box - trying to keep this simple for OP..

If he has an Airstation Extreme - which is AC1900 - the WXR-1900DHP is basically the same thing as the Asus RT-AC68U, but better supported by 3rd parties, and better HW quality...

But the Apple products (all of them) run hot and is one aspect of their lessor performance, imo. Particularly when they are used at high loads.

No - they don't...

How many threads with How-To on external cooling for the Asus devices?

No - they don't...

How many threads with How-To on external cooling for the Asus devices?

They don't? Okay. :) But the first time I picked up an Apple Air I thought I got 3rd degree burns from it. The Airports and AE also run warm to hot (just idling) too and possibly with the exception of the very latest MB and MBP's, those also throttle performance due to overheating.

Which Asus devices are you talking about? Their routers? Most of those threads are for overclocking (because they want VPN services (or similarly cpu intensive processes) on the router to run as fast as possible). Other devices? Not interested about (in this thread). ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!