What's new

Asus 68-U with Merlin port forwarding not required

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

patrick sullivan

Regular Contributor
Just curious why I do not need to open any ports for this router? My other routers/firewalls required me to open ports for many services:

xbox live
steam
minecraft
ubisoft
etc, etc

Just need to make sure I don't have something turned off that should be on. This was a brand new 68-U flashed to Merlin. Works great, but this is my only concern...

thank you

I checked my settings and UPnP is off on my router. Not enabled. So, if I am understanding that correctly, that is a good thing that I am able to have everything working without needing UPnP enabled. Isn't having that enabled generally a security risk?

Isn't having that enabled generally a security risk?
Not particularly.

There was a problem with some routers years ago where they exposed the UPnP control interface to the internet. That isn't the case here. Another thing people sometimes worry about is one LAN device using UPnP to direct traffic to another LAN device. This is not possible if "UPNP: Enable secure mode" = yes.

So, if I am understanding that correctly, that is a good thing that I am able to have everything working without needing UPnP enabled.
Indeed. The thing that would normally require manual port forwarding or UPnP is online multiplayer chat, or hosting your own game server.