What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Filesystem Format and Performance

Has anyone tested which filesystem on the drive being shared over USB produces the fastest results? I have a hunch that EXT2/3 might be measurably higher than NTFS, but can't currently reformat my drives to try. Has anyone tried this already perhaps?

Network Printing

Can you guys still access your USB printer over the network after upgrading to 1.0.1.4m?

Can you guys still access your USB printer over the network after upgrading to 1.0.1.4m?

Sorry for sounding like a BHO 2008 campaign slogan but, yes we can.

VPN IPSEC Passthrough solved!

I realized by upgrading from 1.0.1.5 to 1.0.1.4m, the RT-N56U ceased supporting VPN IPSEC Passthrough. The CISCO VPN client would not receive a response and timeout. After searching and coming across this site, I changed up/down (not really sure what you want to call it) to 1.0.1.5. Cisco VPN IPSEC client functions once again.

Could just be my imagination, but since i updated to 1014m, it feels like the unit is warmer than it was on 1014. From time to time when i walk by, i lay my hand on top of it, and i used to say to myself, wow, this thing stays pretty cool. but these past few days with 1014m on it, its been warmer than i remember.

Could just be my imagination, but since i updated to 1014m, it feels like the unit is warmer than it was on 1014. From time to time when i walk by, i lay my hand on top of it, and i used to say to myself, wow, this thing stays pretty cool. but these past few days with 1014m on it, its been warmer than i remember.

wow, you enjoy touching your router :D

@Shikinami

Did you enable any of the NAT handlers for VPN, such as IPsec, L2TP, PPTP? The only one, if configured, that does not disable HW NAT is PPTP. I am curious about this because this is one of the issues. If you do not know already, if you enabled multicasting for wireless, QoS, or IPsec and L2TP you will disable HW NAT acceleration.

I have not set anything particular to make the vpn working. And I noticed that the HW NAT is enabled.

The only additional setting made are the port forwarding for emule.

Sorry for late reply.

NAT, webacess and DMZ not working at all

Hello, sorry for disrupting, but it seems like the right place to be.

I bought the Asus RT-N56U finding it quite useful in terms of coverage and throughput. However, i found it to completely useless when utilizing the port forwarding / virtual server options. Not being a complete idiot, i tested this x-ways...without success. Meaning, I can not forward ports to an IP and the web access (yes, enabled) is not working either.

The Asus RT-N56U came with 1.0.1.2 and I upgraded to 1.0.1.4m - no effect. I also tried setting up the port triggering to testing - also no effect. DMZ - last resort - nothing! What's up with that? Defect? Well i'm exchanging the box tomorrow....until then if any of you have ideas, they are greatly appreciated.
Thx

IGMP Proxy?

Hi all
I'm looking at buying the Asus RT-N56U router to use with my existing ADSL modem/router.

Would you know if it supports IGMP Proxy?

I need IGMP Proxy to use it with my ISP's IPTV. I contacted Asus through their web form a few days ago but have received no reply.

Last edited:
I can confrim that with this new version of firmware 1.0.1.4m the AT&T IBM vpn connection (for example) is now working perfect, when before hangs constantly.

And that the browser navigation on the net when before hangs the first time you connect to a site and after a minute or so goes smooth, now is immediately smooth (I supposed that was a DNS problm, and in effect they correct it in this FW release)

Now I'm very pleased with this router.
Great for ATT VPN users but after I upgraded from 1.0.1.4 to 1.0.1.4m, my Cisco VPN doesn't work. Anyone else experiencing this? Should I downgrade back to the previous FW?

Hi all
I'm looking at buying the Asus RT-N56U router to use with my existing ADSL modem/router.

Would you know if it supports IGMP Proxy?

I need IGMP Proxy to use it with my ISP's IPTV. I contacted Asus through their web form a few days ago but have received no reply.

There is an option in the WAN set-up "Choose IPTV STB Port:". Choices are LAN1-4, LAN1 & 2, LAN3 & 4.

I bought 2 of these recently. The first is my main internet router and 2.4ghz wireless AP. The second is in the living room acting as a bridge from there to the office. The set-up of both was pretty simple. Asus's interface is a little too basic for my taste, but I can see how the design is intelligent for someone less technically inclined. I would like an advanced mode where the advanced menu is most of what you see, but that's severe nit picking. The traffic monitor is neat and the logging is nice.

I run 2 NAS, 1 laptop, and 1 VOIP router on the wired side. 3-5 wireless clients (laptops, phones, etc) on 2.4ghz. Across the 5 ghz bridge (~30ft away through ~2 walls) I have a Roku, TV, and satellite box connected via ethernet. On my Roku I get "HD" quality from Netflix all day every day and a very good MLB.tv picture. I don't get "true" HD streaming (ie: Amazon), obviously, but this is a vast improvement from my DIR-655 + DAP-1522 set-up. I have the 2.4ghz radio off on the far side of the bridge right now.

I'm able to run all 3 of my work VPNs across a wired connection to the main router. They are all either PPTP or SSL connections so I can't speak to any other types. Hardware NAT appears to still be enabled for me, so I suppose I'm lucky there on the VPN softwares I use.

I ran a few tests streaming Netflix across the wireless bridge while making a VOIP call. There weren't any noticeable effects to either service. Adding a BT download across one of my NASes did seem to start clogging the WAN pipe up... not the router's fault, I burst to about 30 Mbps on my current service and Netflix was using nearly all of that.

2.4ghz range is vastly improved over the DIR-655. Using Wifi Analyzer for Android on my phone I would pull about -85 dBm at the furthest point in my house (~75 ft away, 4 walls). I get about -70 dBm at that point now. In a previous dead zone (~90 ft, 5 walls, cabinetry, closet, bathroom mirror) I'm a decent -75 dBm now. Throughput likely isn't wonderful here, but a stable connection is an improvement. A potential downside is that I bet my neighbor isn't happy with my great coverage. Where my router is placed, I could probably service his whole house too.

My largest complaint is that DLink's DHCP reservation was much, much easier. I'm also, so far, underwhelmed with some of the firewall and port forwarding options. I haven't tried hooking a USB printer or disk up yet, though I'm looking forward to getting my print server off of my NAS. I'm also not a fan of the FTP port not being stealthed to the internet. If there's a way to fix this, I'd love to hear it. Everything else stealths as it should.

This new set-up has run me to the limit of my current internet connection, which I'm pretty happy with. My alternative to buying these was trying to find 2 v1 WNDR3700's, which proved fairly impossible to do. The E4200 was out at the bridging requirement. I'm not sure this router can be beat at the price point it's at right now. I know my tune may change once/if I need Asus' support.

There is an option in the WAN set-up "Choose IPTV STB Port:". Choices are LAN1-4, LAN1 & 2, LAN3 & 4.

My ISP streams IPTV over the ADSL line, rather than through a separate line, hence the need for IGMP proxy and multicast.

I tried contacting Asus support to enquire about it. No reply yet and it's been a week.

EDIT: Bought the router and I can confirm it works with IPTV over wired and wireless connections

Thanks too all that contributed

Last edited:
I can confirm that the latest firmware update (1.0.1.4m) also Borks Nortel VPN connections.

Rolling back to 1.0.1.4 did the trick.

I sure hope this is addressed in the next firmware update.

My ISP streams IPTV over the my ADSL line, rather than through a separate line, hence the need for IGMP proxy and multicast.

The router does support multicast, and in version 1.0.1.4 one of the fixes notes: 08. Fix igmpproxy to consider WAN port is PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP. So, I am going to speculate that it does without confirmation.

Edit: I forgot something. For those that do not mind losing hardware NAT acceleration may want to use the NAT handlers for VPN and see if that resolves the problem

Last edited:
Edit: I forgot something. For those that do not mind losing hardware NAT acceleration may want to using the NAT handlers for VPN and see if that resolves the problem
Could you please explain in detail how to do what you just described?

FTP/Download Master in AP Mode

Hi everyone,

I want to use the RT-N56U in AP Mode as I already have a dedicated router. I would like to, however, keep using the FTP Sever and Download Master capabilities of this product.

Does anyone have any experience with keeping these features active while in AP mode? I suppose all you'd have to do is forward the proper ports to the unit behind the router. I assume 20-21 would be sufficient for the FTP Server, and I believe the ports for the Download Master are TCP/UDP 10001-10050 if the log is anything to go by.

Please let me know if anyone has attempted this, and thank you very much in advance.

The way "AP" mode works in most routers is that it disables all router functions and turns the WAN port into a LAN port for convenience.

If you want those functions, you can't use it in AP mode.

Could you please explain in detail how to do what you just described?

Advanced Setting\WAN\DMZ

With the more recent firmwares you can under special application handlers header specify your VPN. Note that PPTP is the only one that will not unload the HW NAT module, therefore losing HW NAT Acceleration.