What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
.116 is for 56U and .116b is for 66U. :)

No its not, look at file names and size:

RT-N66U_3.0.0.3_116.trx - 18.2mb
RT-N66U_3.0.0.3_116b.trx - 18.2mb
RT-N56U_3.0.0.3_116.trx - 7.3mb

You can install .116 / .116b on RT-N66U without problems.

Last edited:
No offense to anyone but anything coming from a .ru domain bothers me...I'm sticking to 114 until I see newer from non .ru domains.

Sharing files from USB HDD

I am new joiner here, found this great resource by googling.

I am running the .108 fw on n66u and want to be able to mount the usb hdd on couple of PCs to be able to keep the files in sync with each other as well as backup on hdd.

i have enabled the samba with additioanl account via asus gui, but can't seem to be able to find the share via Windows 7 (home premium) pc and laptop...

How do I access the usb hdd (powered wd mybook) from PCs ? I plan on using synctoy

Any suggesstions / better options will be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and new to ASUS routers. Owned some D-links, a TP-link and a Netgear WNDR 3700 rev. 1. The RT-N66u is the best so far in respect to coverage and speed. I can even use my PSP wirelessly wherever I am in and around the house.

Now some questions:
My N66u came with 3.90 fw. What improvements can I expect from later versions and what is the best and most stable so far? What can I expect from Tomate fw.

Where can I open ports for for instance a torrent client?

What would be a matching WLAN USB stick for this router.

Last edited:
My rule of thumb as far as f/w goes, if you don't have a reason to update leave it alone. I enjoyed WNDR3700 V1 & V2 on OpenWRT while I used them. As an alternate f/w for ASUS, you may look into Tomato.

k000;40444 How do I access the usb hdd (powered wd mybook) from PCs ? I plan on using synctoy Any suggesstions / better options will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE said:
You can try to access it directly via router's ip (i.e. \\your router ip address). Name resolution has always been faulty in ms networks, and the reasons are often unclear.

I am new joiner here, found this great resource by googling.

I am running the .108 fw on n66u and want to be able to mount the usb hdd on couple of PCs to be able to keep the files in sync with each other as well as backup on hdd.

i have enabled the samba with additioanl account via asus gui, but can't seem to be able to find the share via Windows 7 (home premium) pc and laptop...

How do I access the usb hdd (powered wd mybook) from PCs ? I plan on using synctoy

Any suggesstions / better options will be greatly appreciated.

Just go in windows explorer under network and you will see your drive listed on the right side (RT-N66U)....

Status
Not open for further replies.