What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i have tried it as well. I reinstall the software just using the printer connected to my PC by USB. It works. Then when i plug into the router and set everything again, still no show.

Did you assign a static IP to your printer and have you tried pinging it?

Have had a couple times in the past few days where I cannot access the internal web page of my N66U. Tried with 3 different browsers same result- browser shows spinning icon but router web page never loads. No error message in browser just stays on page I was on. Power cycle the N66U and I can get in no problem. 108 firmware.

Sam

Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight gets four stars from CNET. 8 points for performance:

"I've held off reviewing the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps N Router until now due to some known bugs in earlier versions of its firmware. The latest, version 3.0.0.3.108, is still, well, a little buggy, but fortunately not seriously enough to keep the router from being an excellent networking device."

"Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps N Router offers excellent coverage, stable wireless signals, and stellar data rates on the 5GHz band. The router comes with a generous feature set and can also work as a standalone VPN server."

See more below:
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-n66u-dark/4505-3319_7-35110985.html?tag=mncol;lst

"I've held off reviewing the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps N Router until now due to some known bugs in earlier versions of its firmware. The latest, version 3.0.0.3.108, is still, well, a little buggy, but fortunately not seriously enough to keep the router from being an excellent networking device."

"Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps N Router offers excellent coverage, stable wireless signals, and stellar data rates on the 5GHz band. The router comes with a generous feature set and can also work as a standalone VPN server."

See more below:
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-n66u-dark/4505-3319_7-35110985.html?tag=mncol;lst

Its interesting that he reported slower speeds on 2.4ghz using the 450Mbps speed. One of the Tomato authors (Shibby) posted his own review stating that there was some problem using 40mhz on the 2.4ghz band.

http://translate.google.com/transla...hread_id=14360&pid=99529#post_99166&sl=&tl=en

Last edited:
Its interesting that he reported slower speeds on 2.4ghz using the 450Mbps speed. One of the Tomato authors (Shibby) posted his own review stating that there was some problem using 40mhz on the 2.4ghz band.

http://translate.google.com/transla...hread_id=14360&pid=99529#post_99166&sl=&tl=en

Speedtest.net shows my 2.4 Ghz connection is half the speed of my 5Ghz radio. However, for some strange reason browsing the web on the 2.4Ghz radio is far snappier than the 5Ghz radio on my smartphone. I don't have a laptop to compare radios but I'm going to grab a laptop with a 5Ghz/2.4Ghz adapter from work.

Anyone else notice a quicker browsing experience on the 2.4 Ghz radio but significantly faster speed test results on the 5Ghz radio?

The thing that keeps the 2.4GHz. band speed down is that the 2.4GHz. band is usually crowded, so you can't do the things that can boost your speed on 5GHz. (like channel bonding, using 40GHz. channel width). So you're very likely to get worse throughput on 2.4GHz., unless you don't have neighboring 2.4GHz. wireless networks. When I use inSSIDer on my laptop on 2.4GHz., I generally see about 18 neighboring networks, while on 5GHz. there are none in sight. That lack of interference on 5GHz. really helps. On the other hand, 5GHz. is shorter range, so as you get further from your router, the speed drops faster than it does for 2.4GHz.

See more below:

Thanks.
I stumbled onto cNet's review a day or two ago and was surprised about their unimpressive 2.4 GHz throughput findings given what Tim's 2.4 Ghz tests, along with some other reviews, have found, especially relative to the E4200 e.g. They did note the signal strength was excellent, which is also intresting since you would think the signal strength should have a reasonable amount of correlation with throughput.
I know Tim used an earlier firmware than 108 which cNet used, which would be one difference that could account for part of it.

I think my long range signal was a bit better with fw 96 than 108.
I will have to test throughput again with 108 in different locations to see how that compares to my results recorded when using 96.
cNet's results are also confusing initially in that they have two performandxe bars - one says 'range' and the other says ' throughput', even though they BOTH are throughput results...
The bars should probably be labeled something like 'throughput at short range' and 'throughput at long range' to make it more clear.
There is a legend further down in the review that helps, but the performance chart labels themselves are not clear.

Well I'm getting beter throughput on both bands with 108 . 10.5-11.2 MBps on 5 and 7.2-8.8MBps on 2.4 about 2-3 MBps better than with .96

Has anyone else confirmed the QOS bug when uploading from WiFi to a LAN computer that the speed is limited to whatever you have your upload speed set in the QOS settings?

if only it had 4 ethernet ports like the DAP1522 then it would be perfect . The way it's built would have to buy a switch to connect all the media devices .

Well I'm getting beter throughput on both bands with 108 . 10.5-11.2 MBps on 5 and 7.2-8.8MBps on 2.4 about 2-3 MBps better than with .96

Thanks. That is a pretty big boost percentagewise!
I'll try to remember to test mine tonight or tomorrow.

Has anyone else confirmed the QOS bug when uploading from WiFi to a LAN computer that the speed is limited to whatever you have your upload speed set in the QOS settings?

Yes I can confirm it's broken.

Did ASUS mention a fix for this?

I would name mine different ssid's. That way it's easy to tell what band you're on.

I was surprised that it let me name 2.4ghz and 5ghz same ssid. If you had dual band client how do you use 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously? I didn't think I could connect to two different ssid at the same time?

Thanks.

I was surprised that it let me name 2.4ghz and 5ghz same ssid. If you had dual band client how do you use 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously? I didn't think I could connect to two different ssid at the same time?

Thanks.

You can't. Your PC picks one with the highest signal strength.

You can't. Your PC picks one with the highest signal strength.

I guess when I saw advertisement like dual band 450+450 I assumed you could run simultaneously as long as you had dual band client.

Here is quote from Amazon page for N66U.

Delivering both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz concurrent bands up to 450Mbps and 450Mbps respectively, the RT-N66U has a total speed of up to 900Mbps connectivity to provide speed with stability.

Last edited:
I guess when I saw advertisement like dual band 450+450 I assumed you could run simultaneously as long as you had dual band client.

Here is quote from Amazon page for N66U.
Howdy,
Kinda like a 4 door car, you just need 1 door yourself to get in.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.