What's new

ASUS RT-N66U DHCP / laser printer problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clearchaos

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have used the ASUS RT-N66U for a number of years in my home now, without problem. I have a good number of devices connecting over wi-fi and 3 devices hard wired to the router, a cable modem, an IP telephone system and a Lexmark CS820 laser printer. The laser printer is a new addition and it's this that's causing a problem for me as it just won't register an IP address through DHCP or connect to the network with a static IP.

I've tested the printer ethernet cable by connecting the router and my PC, works just fine.

I've also hooked up a mini network between my PC and the printer via an old Linksys WRT54G - when using this router the printer is assigned an IP address and functions as expected, so I think the printer is behaving properly.

I believe there's something going on with the RT-N66U that's causing it to ignore the printer.

I've tried a reset back to factory settings on the RT-N66U, no change. I've also switched off the firewall setting in case that was the problem, again no change.

This is my first network printer, so I may be missing something obvious (apologies if that's the case).

Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Gary.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have used the ASUS RT-N66U for a number of years in my home now, without problem. I have a good number of devices connecting over wi-fi and 3 devices hard wired to the router, a cable modem, an IP telephone system and a Lexmark CS820 laser printer. The laser printer is a new addition and it's this that's causing a problem for me as it just won't register an IP address through DHCP or connect to the network with a static IP.

I've tested the printer ethernet cable by connecting the router and my PC, works just fine.

I've also hooked up a mini network between my PC, the printer via an old Linksys WRT54G - when using this router the printer is assigned an IP address and functions as expected, so I think the printer is behaving properly.

I believe there's something going on with the RT-N66U that's causing it to ignore the printer.

I've tried a reset back to factory settings on the RT-N66U, no change. I've also switched off the firewall setting in case that was the problem, again no change.

This is my first network printer, so I may be missing something obvious (apologies if that's the case).

Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Gary.
Many of the wireless network printers have their own access point inside for wireless direct or connecting over wireless or "near field communication". Perhaps it is trying to assign its own IP address on wireless ? Is it offering DHCP service for wireless clients ?

Hi,

I connected my PC to the router via the same port and it was assigned an IP and worked properly, so I think the port is OK. However, just to be sure I will try that as a test now...

I believe the Linksys WRT54G only has 100Mbit ports whereas the N66U and the printer have gigabit ports. So possibly there's an issue with the cable you're using. Try another Cat 5e/6 cable.

Thanks for your reply. No this particular printer is Ethernet only, it doesn't have wireless capability.

Is the printer brand new or used one by previous owner?

Still not completely sure what the problem is/was. However I've configured the Linksys WRT54G to be a simple network switch - when the new printer is connected via the switch (rather than directly to the main router) it works just fine. So whilst it's not the best solution, it's functional so I'm happy. Thanks for your help.