What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed that the Client status indication is still weird.
It would be natural that when you open the Client status overview, at least the "Online" Tab would be "fresh" at that moment.
I noticed that a "wireless" PC which is turned off, initially shows as "wired client".
After a manual refresh that turned off PC disappears as it should.

The "Wired" and "Wireless" Tabs may keep the current "memory" function, so you can see which Clients are- or have been connected.

Last edited:
I noticed that the Client status indication is still weird.
It would be natural that when you open the Client status overview, at least the "Online" Tab would be "fresh" at that moment.
I noticed that a "wireless" PC which is turned off, initially shows as "wired client".
After a manual refresh that turned off PC disappears as it should.

The "Wired" and "Wireless" Tabs may keep the current "memory" function, so you can see which Clients are- or have been connected.

The Client status is really odd now.
In the main Network Map page it tells me there are 3 Clients connected, the Client status "Online" Tab tells me there are 2 wireless clients.
The header of the "wired" clients shows (1), making me believe there is 1 wired client.
Opening the wired Tab, it shows nothing, which is correct because there is nothing connected to any LAN port.
The header of the "wireless" clients shows a (2), which is correct.

A click on the MAC address of a few wireless Clients, including the printer tell me: iTunes Service: Yes
I have no iTunes and do not use iTunes, what is Asus trying to make me believe here?
Even more strange, the info in that toolip after a click on the MAC address changes every time you click on it. Sometimes telling me a device is a Local device, other times telling it is a Printer Service.

I don't know what Asus is checking to create the Client info, they defenitely get confused somewhere.

Asus, keep it simple: Host Name, MAC address and IP Address.
And if wireless: Signal Strenght and 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz (without clicking).

As network administrator you should know the purpose of every device, that is not something the router should try to figure out.

[EDIT]
A little update to the above.
When you open the router GUI and open the Client status overview, Wireless devices that have been connected but are turned off or are moved out of the range of the router (e.g. a smartphone), get moved from the "Wireless" TAB to the "Wired" TAB, and they still show up in the Online Tab as wired devices.
A refresh clears up the overview.
Still, the Client status is strange: a device that is switched off, shall not be shown as Online.
And if the router is able to detect that a "wireless device" is gone (see e.g. System Log>Wireless Log), why does it promote that device to be a "wired" device in the Client status?

To be short: please Asus cut away all the smart tricks and make a simple robust Client status overview, the tools are allready there.

Last edited:
Merlin you really got my attention now. I really love this router.

I already posted most of it here: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=17854

Don't expect all of these features to ever appear on the RT-N66U however. Some of these require a lot of CPU power, such as provided by more recent dual core routers.

Another issue with the RT-N66U is it only has 32 MB of flash, while the newer routers (starting with the RT-AC66U) have 128 MB of flash. And even then there are some technical issues with the fact that the firmware partition is only 32 MB.

...Another issue with the RT-N66U is it only has 32 MB of flash, while the newer routers (starting with the RT-AC66U) have 128 MB of flash. And even then there are some technical issues with the fact that the firmware partition is only 32 MB.
For the freaks:

1960's:
The so-called Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) used a real time operating system, which enabled astronauts to enter simple commands by typing in pairs of nouns and verbs, to control the spacecraft. It was more basic than the electronics in modern toasters that have computer controlled stop/start/defrost buttons. It had approximately 64Kbyte of memory and operated at 0.043MHz.

1980's:
The IBM Personal Computer XT originally came with 128 kB of RAM, a 360 kB double-sided 5¼ inch floppy disk drive, a 10 MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive.

Can we use a RT-N66U to fly to Mars?

For the freaks:

1960's:
The so-called Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) used a real time operating system, which enabled astronauts to enter simple commands by typing in pairs of nouns and verbs, to control the spacecraft. It was more basic than the electronics in modern toasters that have computer controlled stop/start/defrost buttons. It had approximately 64Kbyte of memory and operated at 0.043MHz.

1980's:
The IBM Personal Computer XT originally came with 128 kB of RAM, a 360 kB double-sided 5¼ inch floppy disk drive, a 10 MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive.

Can we use a RT-N66U to fly to Mars?

:D :D :D...... :eek:

Which Asus current routers have a dual core processor?

RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U. There are a few less popular SKUs as well such as the RT-N18U, but these might have other limitations.

3G/4G Modem Support

Asus, you made my day! The new build adresses the issue having accompanied the last builds concerning USB modem support sufficiently - now I'm able to use the latest build AND I'm able to connect to WAN with my Huawei USB modem and my ZTE modem as well...

I'm glad having now been able to close the former security holes of the router. Hope that Merlin will wave his magic wand soon to improve the stock firmware additionally :)

Ciao
Gerald

From 374.5517 to 376.1071 I noticed a decrease in download speed with QoS enabled from around 100 Mbps to around 90 Mbps, both wireless.

Looking at CPU usage it seems I'm reaching 90+ % while downloading at 90 Mbps. Has Qos been redesigned? It seems so because cpu usage goes to 0% when there are no transfers. I've tested while loged in and loged out from router with same results.

I've used this router for 2 years now with QOS turned off. I have 35 devices connected to it and no one ever experiences slow down at any time. Even with 1071 it runs flawless. Try it with QOS turned off.

Have used it for quite some time with QOS disabled. I find it quite useful when someone in my network is uploading large files as it manages Web navigation to remain very responsive.

I wonder with the TX power adjuster now being in percentage what is the mw now set at when set to 100%. Is it still 80 mw or higher?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder with the TX power adjuster now being in percentage what is the mw now set at when set to 100%. Is it still 80 mw or higher?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's still 80 mW, which is the default for the router's wireless chips.

Code:
translated_value = parseInt(power_value_old/80*100);

So yes, that also means, no more power boost beyond the default 80 mW. I believe this is in part due to the FCC's latest requirements where manufacturers must now ensure that customers cannot push their router beyond the specified values.

It's still 80 mW, which is the default for the router's wireless chips.

Code:
translated_value = parseInt(power_value_old/80*100);

So yes, that also means, no more power boost beyond the default 80 mW. I believe this is in part due to the FCC's latest requirements where manufacturers must now ensure that customers cannot push their router beyond the specified values.

Will Asuswrt-Merlin change this setting so it can be adjusted higher than 80mW? we do not have the same restrictions as the USA for the power level.

Will Asuswrt-Merlin change this setting so it can be adjusted higher than 80mW? we do not have the same restrictions as the USA for the power level.

No. And expect this to become the norm in the future for other routers as well.

Thanks to the FCC, Asus will be forced to actually encrypt part of the wireless code to prevent end-user tampering. This is actually a REQURIEMENT from the FCC now. Manufacturers are required to ensure that end-users cannot change wireless behaviour or their regulation region through software modifications.