What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've just notice that my router is reporting the RSSI in the positive dbm range! and the 'quality' link is over 100!

This is using Shibby's 083V.

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
I've just notice that my router is reporting the RSSI in the positive dbm range! and the 'quality' link is over 100!

This is using Shibby's 083V.

Hi,
Something must be wrong. 0 dbm is equal to the TX power. dbm reading going to positive side is..... where is the extra power coming from?????? Difficult to believe the reading is true.

Ah, that makes sense. It really depends on the client adapter.

Thanks.

Below is a pic showing my xbox TX of 27mbps and RX is of 300mbps on 5ghz. Yes, my RSSI is now in the negative dbm.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I'm not sure what has never worked but everything is working for me including the VLAN's, guest wireless, etc.

You have been able to get guest wireless working on 1.28.0496(.1)VLAN? I can put in the guest network information but hitting the save button does absolutely nothing and never commits any changes. This has happened to me on both 0496 and 0496.1.

Running webserver with PHP and SQL on Asus RT-N66U?

Hello!

Is it possible to setup webserver on Asus RT-N66U with usb HDD and run PHP and SQL on it? Do I need special firmware like Tomato-Shibby for that? What is the performance of such webserver?

Hello!

Is it possible to setup webserver on Asus RT-N66U with usb HDD and run PHP and SQL on it? Do I need special firmware like Tomato-Shibby for that? What is the performance of such webserver?

You would need to install optware and then install openssh. Note that the router only has 32KB of NVRAM.

Does anyone know if the "Ai Radar" feature is a chipset feature or just a firmware feature made by Asus? I was wondering if it also works in the Tomato firmware.

I've noticed the stock Asus firmware does give a little stronger RSSI signal rating in the stock firmware, than when using Tomato, mainly on the 5ghz. But I haven't noticed much difference in speed. But its hard to rate/benchmark these things.

Does anyone know if the "Ai Radar" feature is a chipset feature or just a firmware feature made by Asus? I was wondering if it also works in the Tomato firmware.

I've noticed the stock Asus firmware does give a little stronger RSSI signal rating in the stock firmware, than when using Tomato, mainly on the 5ghz. But I haven't noticed much difference in speed. But its hard to rate/benchmark these things.

I asked the same question but no one knows. I bet it is done in software. Would be expensive it was done in hardware.

Why is that important? What is NVRAM used for?

Router configs are stored in NVRAM. When you install optware and openssh, you will be configuring the webserver and those configs are going to be part of the router configs which again, is stored in NVRAM. The more options you add into the router, the bigger the router configs and there is only 32KBytes in this router.

It would be nice if Asus release a firmware that allows you to use the internal microsd slot as a NVRAM swap drive space.

Last edited:
I asked the same question but no one knows. I bet it is done in software. Would be expensive it was done in hardware.

Great question!
I believe AI Radar (Asus's beam forming implementation) may well be what helped my Blu-Ray player's adapter achieve the maximum measurable wifi signal (can't measure throughput on it).
This player is tucked away in a corner at the far opposite end of my home, one floor down from the RT-N66U.

Hi,
I am only guessing but looks like it is done by software, antenna steering by phase shift, or space diversity, or polarity diversity. on the hard ware side there maybe some kind of ASIC intelligent fuzzy logic or AI type processing.
If only one can disable the feature whatever it is, then we'll know how effective this is. We have to go thru source code line by line to figure that out.

With the new firmware have the performance numbers like Through-put for W to L, L to W, etc gone up?

What is the newest tomato firmware for N66U?? I can't figure out what one is new, what ones works.

I downloaded and flashed "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx"

Two big problems Im having that I can see so far...

I only have 1 wireless connection. In the videos I've seen there is 2.4GHz and 5GHz like there should be. On mine I only have one.

Also, USB will not connect for me. I checkmark enable and I click save. It doesnt enable.

What do I need to do???
Thanks

What is the newest tomato firmware for N66U?? I can't figure out what one is new, what ones works.

I downloaded and flashed "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx"

Two big problems Im having that I can see so far...

I only have 1 wireless connection. In the videos I've seen there is 2.4GHz and 5GHz like there should be. On mine I only have one.

Also, USB will not connect for me. I checkmark enable and I click save. It doesnt enable.

What do I need to do???
Thanks

I used the same firmware. Just hold down the reset pin hold for 30 sec to default. It should come back up with both radios. I did not have any problems using usb on the back.