What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EDIT: Got it working with JFFS instead, I guess the USB/sdcard mounts to late.

I just set up a OpenVPN server on my RT-N66U running Shibby 085 AIO.
I noticed that having the keys pasted in the keys tab is eating almost all my nvram. I have 1.5% left. :(
So I decided to put links to the keys in Advanced/Custom Configuration instead.
The keys reside on an internal sd-card.

Like this.

ca /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.ca.crt
cert /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.crt
key /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.key
dh /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.pem

This works just great if I start the VPN server manually.
But after a router reboot the server will not be started automatically.
If I on the other hand have the keys pasted in the keys tab then the VPN server will be running after a router reboot.

I assume that some VPN startup script don't like the idea of finding the key tabs empty and then it stops.

Anyone know a way around this, like where and how I might edit that VPN startup script?

Last edited:
EDIT: Got it working with JFFS instead, I guess the USB/sdcard mounts to late.

I just set up a OpenVPN server on my RT-N66U running Shibby 085 AIO.
I noticed that having the keys pasted in the keys tab is eating almost all my nvram. I have 1.5% left. :(
So I decided to put links to the keys in Advanced/Custom Configuration instead.
The keys reside on an internal sd-card.

Like this.

ca /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.ca.crt
cert /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.crt
key /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.key
dh /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.pem

This works just great if I start the VPN server manually.
But after a router reboot the server will not be started automatically.
If I on the other hand have the keys pasted in the keys tab then the VPN server will be running after a router reboot.

I assume that some VPN startup script don't like the idea of finding the key tabs empty and then it stops.

Anyone know a way around this, like where and how I might edit that VPN startup script?

In the "Administration" menu, there is a sub-menu call "Scripts". In there, this is a "Init" and "Wan Up" tab where you can write a script to run the openvpn service when the wan port comes up.

In the "Administration" menu, there is a sub-menu call "Scripts". In there, this is a "Init" and "Wan Up" tab where you can write a script to run the openvpn service when the wan port comes up.

Yeah, thanx. That was kinda what I was after, I just didn't know the actual script. Anyway spare memory left for JFFS is huge so I put the keys there instead.

Since they keys will only be read and not written to it's cool.
Else I don't like the idea of having to use JFFS.

Hi, It looks like Toastman just released a new build (1.28.0496.2)

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=164292164

Has anyone tried this? I'm getting ready to try to flash from the native firmware and the prior version I downloaded was (1.28.0495.3)

The change logs says:

February 27 2012 - 1.28.0496

MultiLAN: restrict LAN Access to IPv4 addresses on firewall rules

MultiLAN: fix WOL when we have more than one LAN bridge (br0-br3)

MultiSSID: usability improvements/fixes

* settings for primary VIFs can now be changed directly on the overview/main table
* added a warning on the web UI when Wireless Bridge or Client mode is selected
* visual/usability improvements when creating new WL VIFs
* fixed/missing 'special' NVRAM variable (t_features)

VLAN-GUI: fix/load current settings when trunk_vlan_so is enabled (tagging)

* NVRAM var trunk_vlan_so relates to PORT_VLAN_SUPPORT_OVERRIDE (experimental setting)
* http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-444924/visual-bug-with-tagging-in-rt-n-vlan-builds

3G modem support (from branch tomato-shibby)

WARNING - DHCP IS DISABLED BY DEFAULT. DON'T FORGET
TO TURN IT ON IF YOU NEED IT.

March 5 2012 - 1.28.0496.1

- fixed typo in services.c

- fixed QOS prios

March 9 2012 - 1.28.7496.2

- USB detection, old scheme first
- Fix libusb error
- Update miniDNLA to 1.0.24

Thanks.

Shibby 085v

Hi, I am using Shibby 085v fw. hope someone can help me with something:

(1) QoS, whenever I enable QoS, I noticed that my internet slowed down after a few hours. I'd have to reset the modems and rt-n66u. If I want to stream high bitrate 1080p content wirelessly, do i need to enable QoS and how should I set it to maximize its function. I also have VOIp if that matters at all.

(2) Ai radar beaming, does that work automatically on the fly or do i have to set it up in the router? I don't see much difference in streaming wirelessly compared to my old d-link dir 655, when other pple praise how good the wireless function of the rt-n66u. unless i don't know how to set up the router correctly.

(3) I'm even thinking of maybe just use ASUS assumingly latest fw .102 because it might be good enough for my use or maybe upgrade to latest shibby fw? What do you think?

Thanx,

kd

The latest stock firmware is .108, and I'm not sure that you get the Ai radar feature without the stock firmware.

Has anyone tried the Tomato firmwares from "Victek"? Think I'll give it a try.
The v87 from Shibby, the QOS just stopped working for some reason the other day. All of a sudden, the torrent upload speed went to max output speed. Had to reboot to get to start working again.

Has anyone tried the Tomato firmwares from "Victek"? Think I'll give it a try.
The v87 from Shibby, the QOS just stopped working for some reason the other day. All of a sudden, the torrent upload speed went to max output speed. Had to reboot to get to start working again.

for v87 from Shibby, You need to reboot the router after ANY changes you made that require a service to be restarted. so basically, after a service is restarted, you will have to turn the router off and on manually again.

Last edited:
When I activated the Wifi (2.4 & 5) the tomato firmware said sth about "services need to restart" and Wifi was up in 10 secs.. No router reboot needed..

I use v87shibby..

When I activated the Wifi (2.4 & 5) the tomato firmware said sth about "services need to restart" and Wifi was up in 10 secs.. No router reboot needed..

I use v87shibby..

We were talking about the Qos issue. if you have Qos enabled, you will have to reboot the router after you activated your Wifi.

Another new Toastman release, 497 now. Can't download anything from 4shared though, it's telling me I need to sign in..??

Yeah, watch out for 4shared...I signed up for a month to get some tomatoUSB firmware, and luckily I had used PayPal. 4shared tried to put continuing charges on my Paypal account after I clearly signed up for only 1 month. So I found that I could "cancel my subscription" for 4shared via PayPal, but I had to pay for the second month even though I told 4shared about the situation, that I had only signed up for a month.

Be careful with those guys, if you do sign up. I think that if I had cancelled my subscription with PayPal before the month was out, it would have been fine, but I didn't know that I had a "subscription" *smile*. Live and learn.

As I try to compile some stuff at the router itself, I discovered that the /bin/sh - busybox with v87 shibby is REALLY shirt!

Most of the times it is not able to determine the build, host or target type (even when you set it as environment variables) or when the parameters are to long, it shortens it and then nothing works..

So is the new toastman firmware better than v87 shibby?!

Where do you find a "whats new" file for the Tomato firmwares?

For example for the Shibby firmware, does he even have a webpage? I found where he posts the versions, but I can't find any type of "whats new" file for the versions. I see he has a version 88, with no change log or anything posted.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N

I'm currently on the stock firmware right now, even though I have switched between the firmwares.

Where do you find a "whats new" file for the Tomato firmwares?

For example for the Shibby firmware, does he even have a webpage? I found where he posts the versions, but I can't find any type of "whats new" file for the versions. I see he has a version 88, with no change log or anything posted.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N

I'm currently on the stock firmware right now, even though I have switched between the firmwares.

http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=54&thread_id=14360&pid=99529#post_99166

Shibby posts regularly but just not in english!;)

Changelog:
22-03-2012 - upgrade from 087V to 088V EN and EN
- Integrated DNScrypt-proxy (Basic Tab -> Network)
- Integrated UDPxy for multicast (Advanced tab -> firewall)
- Fixed graphs qos -> graphs
- Restored (on request) charts iptraffic -> graphs
- Fixed status page -> overview (there are buttons autoodświeżanie works, it works properly hide section)
- Increased number of entries in bwlimit from 40 to 80
- Removed the definition of IMQ (advanced -> firewall)
- 3G modem support box on the tab NAS does not go out after disabling USB storage
- Minor changes in the operation of services to support APC UPS uninterruptible power supply
- In the Polish version also corrected typos and QoS -> Detailed
- Minor changes in buildtype (table soon upgrades)

http://translate.googleusercontent....=11624&usg=ALkJrhiGj1dVx1syHAvZnsjE4E_ypXTo2w

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using Toastman's tomato-K26USB-1.28.0497MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-V PN.trx or Shibby's tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N-MIPSR2-088V-AIO.trx?

I would like to upgrade my current Shibby's V83 because I want to be able to have CIFS for bandwidth monitor so I can send the logs to my pc.

Also, with the bandwidth monitoring file to the CIFS on my pc, does anyone know a free app that I can use to view the graphs? I want to use something like mtails where I can use it as a monitoring software to view my traffic without having to log into the router.

Currently I have my router send the syslog to my pc which I have a free syslog app to view them in realtime, I want something like that with the bandwidth log files.