What's new

Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnT

Occasional Visitor
I have my Asus RT-N66U router connected and it work fine. I have download speed, via the ISP, of 300 Mbps, however I only get 100 Mbps - maximum. I notice on the router under "Tools - System Info" it shows the ports as follows:

Port Link State
WAN 1000 Full Duplex
LAN1 Down
LAN2 100 Full Duplex
LAN3 100 Full Duplex
LAN4 100 Full Duplex

How can I set them to 1000 FULL Duplex. I have Cat5e cable installed.

John

Gigabit connection must be auto-negotiated between devices, seems to work on the WAN port, check your wiring (need all 4 pairs properly connected) and adapter settings. I'd only expect 70Mbps with only 100Mbps connection mind you, you will need the N66u to be running with hardware nat acceleration CTF to get close to 300Mbps, if you are using incompatible IP accounting etc, it is possible the max throughput is closer to 100Mbps. There is a reason the newer faster arm chipset routers exist!

Gigabit connection must be auto-negotiated between devices, seems to work on the WAN port, check your wiring (need all 4 pairs properly connected) and adapter settings. I'd only expect 70Mbps with only 100Mbps connection mind you, you will need the N66u to be running with hardware nat acceleration CTF to get close to 300Mbps, if you are using incompatible IP accounting etc, it is possible the max throughput is closer to 100Mbps. There is a reason the newer faster arm chipset routers exist!

The likely issue is that your other devices only support 100mb, that is why it shows up on the router that way. If they are older devices, that would sound like the case. If you are unsure, you can verify, by reading up on the devices on google, or if they are window devices, check device manager, it will tell you what the nic card is..

EDIT: the only way that you will be able see 300mb throughput would be on a laptop , or some network device that that has a 1000mb network card in it. You may have to purchase a new card /, or network device that supports 1000mb, or, downgrade your Internet service to 100mb.

Last edited:
Power down your whole network, including the modem. Physically remove the power cables from each device.

Wait as long as you can stand (5, 10 or 20 minutes is sufficient for most cases; an hour is better).

Turn on modem, wait about 5 minutes.

Turn on router, wait about 5 minutes.

Turn on any other switches.

Turn on all devices (NAS, printers, servers, workstations).

This usually fixes these issues, if the cables and / or connectors are still working properly.

The likely issue is that your other devices only support 100mb, that is why it shows up on the router that way. If they are older devices, that would sound like the case. If you are unsure, you can verify, by reading up on the devices on google, or if they are window devices, check device manager, it will tell you what the nic card is..

EDIT: the only way that you will be able see 300mb throughput would be on a laptop , or some network device that that has a 1000mb network card in it. You may have to purchase a new card /, or network device that supports 1000mb, or, downgrade your Internet service to 100mb.

Thanks for the response. I did check and the network adapter on my PC is 10/100/1000 Mbps. Any other possiblities of why the router shows only 100.
thanks
John

Power down your whole network, including the modem. Physically remove the power cables from each device.

Wait as long as you can stand (5, 10 or 20 minutes is sufficient for most cases; an hour is better).

This usually fixes these issues, if the cables and / or connectors are still working properly.

Ok, thanks i will try this.
John

Good comment! thank you

I have wondered... why does that work? re: the delay between off and on.

I have wondered... why does that work? re: the delay between off and on.

Not just off, but also unplugged from a power source too. Usually, this takes care of static charges that otherwise do not dissipate (I guess). Rebooting the whole network in proper sequence is probably the biggest reason it works though.

Anything that runs a program on it (even two lines in firmware), eventually needs rebooting. :)

It's not just Windows devices, ime. ;)