What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.19 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanhs for this new version RMerlin , just a question : the Asus fw .246 has GRO option in Advanced settings->LAN->Switch control.
Please disable it if there are problems in UPnP and port forwarding. I can not find it in your fw. , have you disabled it ?
I flashed in this fw. and have no problem with it so far so good.

I've been compiling my firmware with GRO fully disabled for months. :)

Hey Merlin,

is there a full changelog somewhere?

I'm wondering in updating or staying.. right now I ahve no problem so far.

See the sticky in this sub-forum, I post a link to the online Changelog there. There's also a link in the Github Wiki (link to Github is in my signature).

Last edited:
I see there's a feature in this build to enable custom config files. Nice. I'd like to setup the router as the master browser. I see I can now do that by putting an smb.conf in the jffs partition. Only problem is, how do I get the file in there? Sorry for the n00b question ;-)
--
bc

Enable and format the JFFS partition, then follow the instructions in the README. You can either use WinSCP (with SSH enabled) to copy the file there, or edit it directly on the router over telnet/ssh (by using vi, or by installing nano if you have Optware enabled).

Thanks for the pointer to WINSCP. Got it working. Since all I want to do is add statements that make the router the master browser, can I just append a file smb.conf.add that contains a [global] line followed by the few statements that accomplish that? Will those get logically merged with the [global] section in the router's smb.conf (i.e. does smbd, when it sees another [global] line, just add what follows to the configuration)?
--
bc

Hi Merlin,

Could you please clarify the following changelog item:
FIXED: Removed MAC Filter page, as it doesn't work (not compatible with Parental Control).

Does it mean you completely removed the MAC Filtering feature?

I am on Asus firmware and the problem I had was that MAC Filtering did not apply to Guest networks. It worked fine on non-guest networks though.
I was waiting for them to fix this for quite a bit.

Does anybody know if MAC Filtering on Guest networks has been fixed or not?

Thanks!

What does "GRO" stand for?

Generic Receive Offload. It's a network optimization technique that requires support from both the kernel and the network driver. That feature is currently broken and causes router reboots.

Hi Merlin,

Could you please clarify the following changelog item:
FIXED: Removed MAC Filter page, as it doesn't work (not compatible with Parental Control).

Does it mean you completely removed the MAC Filtering feature?

I am on Asus firmware and the problem I had was that MAC Filtering did not apply to Guest networks. It worked fine on non-guest networks though.
I was waiting for them to fix this for quite a bit.

Does anybody know if MAC Filtering on Guest networks has been fixed or not?

Thanks!

The MAC Filter page did absolutely nothing, because it doesn't work in conjunction to the Parental Control 2 code. So I simply hid the page like it should have been. Asus must have forgot to hide that page when they switched to the new parental control code (AKA PARENTAL2) in the firmware.

This is separate from the Wireless MAC Filter page, which is a different thing, and should work. No idea however if that one works with Guest networks, or only with regular wireless clients.

Hi,
i update the fw, but now USB is not recognized...i try different pen usb...usb led is always off

Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:04.1: USB 0.0 started, EHCI 1.00
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:04.0: OHCI Host Controller
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:04.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:04.0: irq 6, io mem 0x18009000
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver asix
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver net1080
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
Jan 1 01:00:10 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver zaurus

Help :(

Last edited:
Generic Receive Offload. It's a network optimization technique that requires support from both the kernel and the network driver. That feature is currently broken and causes router reboots.

Thx.
Found a nice article which greatly explains GRO.

Amazing Asus gives the user the ability to enable something that is known to be broken.
Glad I run Asuswrt-Merlin. :)

I've noticed in the logs for my router that every hour at the same time im getting this:-

Oct 23 19:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Oct 23 19:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Oct 23 20:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Oct 23 20:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Oct 23 21:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Oct 23 21:59:57 disk monitor: be idle

I haven't connected any USB drives to the router. I have never seen this in the logs before upgrading to 3.0.0.4.246.19

I've noticed in the logs for my router that every hour at the same time im getting this:-

Oct 23 19:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Oct 23 19:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Oct 23 20:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Oct 23 20:59:57 disk monitor: be idle
Oct 23 21:59:57 notify_rc : restart_diskmon
Oct 23 21:59:57 disk monitor: be idle

I haven't connected any USB drives to the router. I have never seen this in the logs before upgrading to 3.0.0.4.246.19

Asus is working on implementing a new disk monitor which can be used to schedule automated filesystem checks. That work isn't finished yet, so they haven't exposed it to the webui at this point, altho if you are crafty enough, you can dig out a test webui that's hidden in there. ;)

One problem enabling wireless using WPA button ....

I use the option to automatically disable both 2.4g and 5g wireless at specific times overnight thru to the morning, and have been able to manually enable/disable wireless during those times using the WPS button. Always worked faultlessly.

Since upgrading to 246, I have found that when I attempt to enable using the WPS button, both 2.4 and 5 seem to enable for a few seconds, then they disable again.

Nothing obvious in the logs.

I have now reverted back to 220, and everything is working as expected.

So it looks like something is now broken in that area.

Last edited:
Thx.
Found a nice article which greatly explains GRO.

Amazing Asus gives the user the ability to enable something that is known to be broken.
Glad I run Asuswrt-Merlin. :)

It's actually a compromise - that feature has always been enabled by default since day 1. While they are investigating the issue, they decided in the mean time to make it toggleable. I'm surprised however they decided to keep it enabled by default, rather than the other way around. I have my theory on this decision.

I use the option to disable both 2.4g and 5g wireless overnight thru to the morning, and have been able to manually enable/disable wireless during those times using the WPS button. Always worked faultlessly.

Since upgrading to 246, I have found that when I attempt to enable using the WPS button, both 2.4 and 5 seem to enable for a few seconds, then they disable again.

Nothing obvious in the logs.

I have now reverted back to 220, and everything is working as expected.

So it looks like something is now broken in that area.

Asus has done some work around that code in 246 to better integrate it with the rest of the firmware. Could be that something broke along the way, tho it worked fine for me when I tested it last night.

One thing to be aware of is that it can take a few seconds for the radios to turn themselves on/off, so make sure you don't press it twice thinking it wasn't working. Keep it pressed for about two seconds, then release it, and wait a few seconds to see if the radios do toggle properly.

I lost all on my jffs partition after updating from 3.0.0.4.220.18b :(
anyone else?

People should always backup their JFFS partitions between firmware flashes (as mentioned in the documentation). The JFFS partition uses what space is left unused in the flash. So if a new firmware takes more space than the old one, it's very likely to overwrite part of the old JFFS partition.

One thing to be aware of is that it can take a few seconds for the radios to turn themselves on/off, so make sure you don't press it twice thinking it wasn't working. Keep it pressed for about two seconds, then release it, and wait a few seconds to see if the radios do toggle properly.
I am sure that I tried that approach.

But I will revert to 246 and try it again shortly

I am sure that I tried that approach.

But I will revert to 246 and try it again shortly
OK, back on 246, and this is what I see:

Wireless off

Press WPS for 2 seconds - 2.4 and 5 LEDs illuminate after about 2 seconds, sometimes much more quickly.

2.4 and 5 LEDs go off after 1 second

2.4 and 5 LEDs illuminate, - this time period can range from a couple of seconds to maybe 8 or 9 seconds, before they both go off again (and remain off)

I find that this sequence is reproducible

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!