What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.19 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, back on 246, and this is what I see:

Wireless off

Press WPS for 2 seconds - 2.4 and 5 LEDs illuminate after about 2 seconds, sometimes much more quickly.

2.4 and 5 LEDs go off after 1 second

2.4 and 5 LEDs illuminate, - this time period can range from a couple of seconds to maybe 8 or 9 seconds, before they both go off again (and remain off)

I find that this sequence is reproducible

I'll try to do some tests later this week when I get the time.

OK, thanks for that.

I am now back on 220 and it is rock solid in that respect.

Actually I'm going to make a build using the 220 binary blobs and post it later tonight so people can try it. That way I'll know for sure if the issue is related to the wireless driver or to something else in the firmware. One thing that has changed that's somewhat related to the wireless driver is the power output management in build 246. I haven't studied the new code, but it's quite different from 220.

Just need about 45 mins to do a full rebuild of the firmware with that older driver.

EDIT: You've got mail :)

Last edited:
OK, thanks for that.

Are you using a radio schedule to automatically turn it off at certain hours? The WPS button is working fine for me (without a radio schedule). I suspect your problem could be that after you turn it on with the button, the radio schedule turns it back off after a few seconds.

If that's the case, it will be tricky to get both to fully coexist. That would bring us back to similar issues that occured a few months ago with the radio schedule and the disable/enable option on the webui.

People should always backup their JFFS partitions between firmware flashes (as mentioned in the documentation). The JFFS partition uses what space is left unused in the flash. So if a new firmware takes more space than the old one, it's very likely to overwrite part of the old JFFS partition.

I thought it will be formated only if upgrading from 32 to 64k nvram, anyway I found an old backup :)
THX

Are you using a radio schedule to automatically turn it off at certain hours?
Yes, that's exactly what I am doing.

The WPS button is working fine for me (without a radio schedule). I suspect your problem could be that after you turn it on with the button, the radio schedule turns it back off after a few seconds.
That would fit with what I am seeing - even though it is changed behaviour from 220.

Having said that, it sort of makes sense that this would be the case.

If that's the case, it will be tricky to get both to fully coexist. That would bring us back to similar issues that occured a few months ago with the radio schedule and the disable/enable option on the webui.
looks like I will have to ditch the radio schedule option then - shame though, as both schedule & WPS button means greater flexibility.

Anyone having Wifi stability issues with build 246 (and having no problem with 220) please send me a PM. I have a test build that uses the build 220 wireless driver for you to try out.

Maybe off topic but to make sure,

Keep in mind if you test a radio schedule the WAN connection must be up and running.
If not and you reboot the router, ntp is not able the set the date/time correctly.
The schedule of course depends on this to work properly.

I ran into this myself, testing a schedule and asking myself why the LEDs went off after a reboot. :eek:

OK, thanks for that.

I see one change Asus has made in regard to the toggle button. Can you test this out for me? Connect to your router over telnet, then run the following command to toggle your radio:

radio toggle

Let me know if that works better. In 246 Asus implemented a new option called "switch" and are using that new option instead of toggle like I was using previously. That might be related to your problem.

If that command works better I'll take a closer look at what the new switch option is actually doing, and possibly revert back to the original toggle option.

Anyone having Wifi stability issues with build 246 (and having no problem with 220) please send me a PM. I have a test build that uses the build 220 wireless driver for you to try out.

I'm testing the build, is "enhanced interference management" enabled in this build? So far this firmware is solid but will give it more test. Thanks.

I'm testing the build, is "enhanced interference management" enabled in this build? So far this firmware is solid but will give it more test. Thanks.

The option is still there, so it will be set on whatever option you had it.

Also let me know what network interface card you are using. I'm trying to gather as much data as possible to forward it back to Asus.

The option is still there, so it will be set on whatever option you had it.

Also let me know what network interface card you are using. I'm trying to gather as much data as possible to forward it back to Asus.

Ok thanks I have the EIM enabled. I'm testing the router with a netgear wnda3100v2 N600 Dual band(broadcom chipset) Driver version 5.100.68.48 and the rest are ipads, iphones 3,4,5. The atheros laptop won't be here until Saturday but based on how long it has been steady, I think this firmware eliminated the bugs I am experiencing with the .246. I'll keep you inform if there are changes. Thanks.

Last edited:
I see one change Asus has made in regard to the toggle button. Can you test this out for me? Connect to your router over telnet, then run the following command to toggle your radio:

Let me know if that works better. In 246 Asus implemented a new option called "switch" and are using that new option instead of toggle like I was using previously. That might be related to your problem.

If that command works better I'll take a closer look at what the new switch option is actually doing, and possibly revert back to the original toggle option.

Yes, the command "radio toggle" seems to fix the problem!

Thanks for your work so far.

Yes, the command "radio toggle" seems to fix the problem!

Thanks for your work so far.

That's odd. I took a look at Asus's changes last night, and it seemed to me as what they did was specifically to prevent the very issue you are experiencing.

In any case I'll revert back to my original toggle method for now.

The MAC Filter page did absolutely nothing, because it doesn't work in conjunction to the Parental Control 2 code. So I simply hid the page like it should have been. Asus must have forgot to hide that page when they switched to the new parental control code (AKA PARENTAL2) in the firmware.

This is separate from the Wireless MAC Filter page, which is a different thing, and should work. No idea however if that one works with Guest networks, or only with regular wireless clients.

Merlin,
When did Asus go over to PARENTAL2. The reason I ask is the problem I was having came back again. Specifically, when I edit an existing entry for Saturday or Sunday access it will look fine. Then when I click the "OK" button and then the edit icon to check that the settings, Sunday is now set to allow access all day and the Saturday settings disappear completely. The only way to save the Saturday settings is not to go past 11 PM but I have not found any workaround to save the Sunday settings as I want them. Grr. :mad:

Merlin,
When did Asus go over to PARENTAL2. The reason I ask is the problem I was having came back again. Specifically, when I edit an existing entry for Saturday or Sunday access it will look fine. Then when I click the "OK" button and then the edit icon to check that the settings, Sunday is now set to allow access all day and the Saturday settings disappear completely. The only way to save the Saturday settings is not to go past 11 PM but I have not found any workaround to save the Sunday settings as I want them. Grr. :mad:

Long ago. In fact it's possible the RT-N66U might have always been using the PARENTAL2 code, and that the old parental code was only used in earlier devices like the RT-N16.

Merlin,
OK. I flashed back to version 3.0.0.4.166 and the issue is fixed. So I am assuming that Asus implemented PARENTAL2 between that version and 3.0.0.4.220 which is the first version I started having this issue with. Merlin what's your opinion?

Long ago. In fact it's possible the RT-N66U might have always been using the PARENTAL2 code, and that the old parental code was only used in earlier devices like the RT-N16.
That sucks, I think. Anyway I just flashed back to 3.0.0.4.166 and the issue is gone. I can edit entries in Parental Controls (I have to use it to keep my son from playing Xbox 360 all night) and they do not go all helter skelter.

OK. I flashed back to version 3.0.0.4.166 and the issue is fixed. So I am assuming that Asus implemented PARENTAL2 between that version and 3.0.0.4.220 which is the first version I started having this issue with. Merlin what's your opinion?

No. As I said, PARENTAL2 code goes back to probably even before when the RT-N66U was released. Any issue would be related to other changes Asus have done to the parental code over time.

PARENTAL2 is (as far as I recall) the interface you are seeing right now where you can drag and select time periods. Previously it was entirely text-based - a completely different interface.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!