What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.246.19 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here in the UK, we have just gone from BST (GMT + 1) back to GMT (clocks go back 1 hour), but the system time did not change, even after a reboot from the gui. Changing the options to enable manual daylight saving time worked however.

Is this a known problem with ASUS routers?

This is a known problem with the old version of busybox used by ASUS. German DSL-routers from AVM suffered from this also for about half a year, but AVM upgraded to a newer version of busybox which solved it. I told ASUS about it also several months ago, but they seem not to care to update?
AFAIK if you wait for about 1-2 weeks time will be correctly set again in the older versions of busybox which implactes that there is a wrongly configured date setting in these busybox versions. Maybe that's why ASUS don't care to update it?

Works! fantastic,this will make a few people very happy
simply generate code and insert (without any quotes)
reboot router click on globe to refresh lease, reboot open reach modem and
bingo

thank you very much for the superfast fix

Del

Hi Merlin. I've had this router for awhile now and have stuck with the 3.0.0.3.112 firmware up until recently. I then updated it with the Asus 3.0.0.4.246. I have a mono laser printer attached to one of the USB ports, it is shown on the GUI. I never had any issues until I updated to your 19B release. The only way I can print to the printer now is I have to reboot the router, then it will print from any computer on the network OK.

Hi Merlin. I've had this router for awhile now and have stuck with the 3.0.0.3.112 firmware up until recently. I then updated it with the Asus 3.0.0.4.246. I have a mono laser printer attached to one of the USB ports, it is shown on the GUI. I never had any issues until I updated to your 19B release. The only way I can print to the printer now is I have to reboot the router, then it will print from any computer on the network OK.

I never tried the printer services, and they are unchanged in my firmware versus the original firmware.

I never tried the printer services, and they are unchanged in my firmware versus the original firmware.

Thanks for that. For some reason after a few reboots all has come good and the printer is now functioning as normal. Nothing changed on the computer settings, so just one of those things!

I've been having issues with the PPTP based VPN server in build 246.19b. I can connect to the VPN fine it works for a few minutes then it stops working. I'm still connected to the VPN i've still got the assigned IP address. But when i try to browse the net using the VPN nothing happens.

I've been having issues with the PPTP based VPN server in build 246.19b. I can connect to the VPN fine it works for a few minutes then it stops working. I'm still connected to the VPN i've still got the assigned IP address. But when i try to browse the net using the VPN nothing happens.

I regularly use PPTP to connect from work back home, and it's perfectly stable for me over the course of a whole afternoon.

Make sure your VPN IP block is within the same IP subnet as your LAN, otherwise you need to either add a static route on the client, or configure the VPN client to route all traffic through the VPN tunnel (not recommended).

Hi,

I just upgraded for 247.19 for ny n66u, I was wondering why I can't create a scripts directory in /jffs ? Is the process changed now for startup scripts?

I regularly use PPTP to connect from work back home, and it's perfectly stable for me over the course of a whole afternoon.

Make sure your VPN IP block is within the same IP subnet as your LAN, otherwise you need to either add a static route on the client, or configure the VPN client to route all traffic through the VPN tunnel (not recommended).

Yea i kinda want all my traffic going thru the VPN especially when using unsecured wifi at coffe shops.

Hi,

I just upgraded for 247.19 for ny n66u, I was wondering why I can't create a scripts directory in /jffs ? Is the process changed now for startup scripts?

The scripts directory will create itself at boot time. If it doesn't exist then it means your jffs partition is either not mounted or not formatted.

Yea i kinda want all my traffic going thru the VPN especially when using unsecured wifi at coffe shops.

Then make sure your Windows VPN connection is set to use the remote gateway as default.

Note that some routers have issues dealing with PPTP VPN, so you can run into issues in some locations. Switching to OpenVPN can avoid those issues since it's just a plain SSL tunnel, no need for allowing GRE packets through the router.

And you should assume that a PPTP password is no longer secure enough to be used in a public environment where you're at risk of packet sniffing.

ahh man. I didnt realise that PPTP VPN wasn't secure.

I've had a look at the open VPN part and tbh it looks complicated to a VPN noob like me.

Just a little heads-up: expect a 25%+ performance gain when transferring files shared over the USB disk with the next release :) Looks like the sendfile() implementation in the kernel is either buggy or not properly tuned for slow CPUs. Disabling sendfile support in Samba improved my performance from 11 MB/s to 14 MB/s in my test setup. Others reported similar gains as well when doing the same in the FTP server configuration.

For those wondering: raw attainable read speed of the USB disk seems to be 24 MB/s according to hdparm (I did the test with a USB 2.0 7200 RPM HDD).

Hello :)

Hey guys.. I have a question.. Before updating my firmware on the Asus rt-ac66u with Rmerlins firmware i noticed an option that said block client on the main page. but i no longer see it and i would like to block someone that uses my wifi and dont respect the fact that i let him use my internet for free and he has no respect so i wanna cut him off.. Is there a way?

Hey guys.. I have a question.. Before updating my firmware on the Asus rt-ac66u with Rmerlins firmware i noticed an option that said block client on the main page. but i no longer see it and i would like to block someone that uses my wifi and dont respect the fact that i let him use my internet for free and he has no respect so i wanna cut him off.. Is there a way?

Yes, in both the original firmware and Asuswrt-Merlin:

Go to Wireless -> Wireless MAC Filter.

Set it to "Reject" mode, and enter his MAC address in the list below.

Yes, in both the original firmware and Asuswrt-Merlin:

Go to Wireless -> Wireless MAC Filter.

Set it to "Reject" mode, and enter his MAC address in the list below.
Merlin is correct but make sure to set up a reject MAC filter for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands. Otherwise he could still connect. You could also change your encryption key, something you should be doing regularly anyway, for both frequency bands but that would require that you update the security settings for all of your clients as well.

Thank you very much RMerlin.. Appreciate the help..

Another way to do this that would block any MAC address that he could use would be to simply change your wireless passwords. This means that all your devices would have to be changed as well, but if you really want to cut the guy off...

Another way to do this that would block any MAC address that he could use would be to simply change your wireless passwords. This means that all your devices would have to be changed as well, but if you really want to cut the guy off...

How safe is to run open WiFi with filter that would allow only specified MAC address to access it? :confused:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!