What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.28 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're facing the disconnection issue again - this time its my laptop with kernel 3.8.5-1 and using Atheros AR9285 (ath9k). The laptop is located fairly close to the router (about 10 meters) and there are no metallic obstructions in the line-of-sight.

It's the same symptoms that I experienced with the desktop with a similar dmesg:

Code:
[  272.589872] wlan0: authenticate with 60:a4:4c:20:d3:c0
[  272.595260] wlan0: capabilities/regulatory prevented using AP HT/VHT configuration, downgraded
[  272.601562] wlan0: direct probe to 60:a4:4c:20:d3:c0 (try 1/3)
[  272.804768] wlan0: direct probe to 60:a4:4c:20:d3:c0 (try 2/3)
[  273.007828] wlan0: direct probe to 60:a4:4c:20:d3:c0 (try 3/3)
[  273.211180] wlan0: authentication with 60:a4:4c:20:d3:c0 timed out

I've noticed that this issue occurs only after a client is rebooted. Also, the web UI page shows that the client is still connected (although I'm not sure if that page is going just by the DHCP lease).

But as before, rebooting the router fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Just a quick report that I've been running 354.28 for a couple of days w/o issue. I had tried 354.27 but didn't clear the NVRAM and I had 5ghz slowdowns. I cleared NVRAM before and after the upgrade and all has been well. Also, as noted earlier in this thread, I do seem to get faster connections by setting the wireless channels to Auto.

Thanks!

Well i just cleared the nvram last night and this morning i am not having any speed issues either. So really that seems to be the fix.

I have the nvram output before and after.

some of the diffs (new on the left, old on the right)

seems that some of these settings are magic and NEED to be updated, but are not.

400,402c403,405
< pci/1/1/maxp2ga0=0x64
< pci/1/1/maxp2ga1=0x64
< pci/1/1/maxp2ga2=0x64
---
> pci/1/1/maxp2ga0=0x70
> pci/1/1/maxp2ga1=0x70
> pci/1/1/maxp2ga2=0x70
404,406c407,409
< pci/1/1/mcsbw202gpo=0xDA741111
< pci/1/1/mcsbw20ul2gpo=0xDA741111
< pci/1/1/mcsbw402gpo=0xFC963333
---
> pci/1/1/mcsbw202gpo=0xDA755555
> pci/1/1/mcsbw20ul2gpo=0xDA755555
> pci/1/1/mcsbw402gpo=0xFC965555
466,468c469,471
< pci/2/1/maxp5ga0=100,100,100,100
< pci/2/1/maxp5ga1=100,100,100,100
< pci/2/1/maxp5ga2=100,100,100,100
---
> pci/2/1/maxp5ga0=104,104,104,104
> pci/2/1/maxp5ga1=104,104,104,104
> pci/2/1/maxp5ga2=104,104,104,104

There are more changes than this...

Last edited:
Is loopback broken again?
I think asus is taking too many coffee breaks

I can't access my server with my external ip from within my network
with 354.28
I drop back to 26b and everything is roses
if I go back to 28 ,no go

Wan disconects

Hello All,
I'm using Rt-AC66U with Merlin .28 FW and it seems like I'm getting far too many disconnects. They happen many times a day. Most would probably go unnoticed except that I installed the script that emails me if the wan disconnects. I looked at the system log and don't know what I looking at. The log is at: https://www.box.com/s/1pbtyxjenzbgl7wcycvf if someone has time to take a look and advise me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Hello All,
I'm using Rt-AC66U with Merlin .28 FW and it seems like I'm getting far too many disconnects. They happen many times a day. Most would probably go unnoticed except that I installed the script that emails me if the wan disconnects. I looked at the system log and don't know what I looking at. The log is at: https://www.box.com/s/1pbtyxjenzbgl7wcycvf if someone has time to take a look and advise me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

The first thing you should do is reset the firmware back to factory defaults, then put the system back the way it was.

Can anyone please help me?

Newbie here. How do I enter the script? My old Linksys DD-WRT setup had a clear place place load commands. TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin
That's one way to do it. It can also be done through a Cron job (and this method might do a more thorough job at restarting wireless).

service-start script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cru a RestartWifi " 0 4 * * * /sbin/service restart_wireless"
That would create a scheduled job at boot time that would entirely restart the wireless services at 4 am every night.

Can anyone please help me?

enable jffs, there is a check box that says create on next boot turn that on.

then add that stuff to

/jffs/scripts/services-start

make sure services-start is executable, and starts with #!/bin/sh

there should be lots of examples on the website.

Just a small question: Does restoring to factory default also clear the NVRAM? I want to be sure this wipes out absolutely everything on the router.

Yeah it clears everything

Do a search here lots of threads discuss this

Good luck

I dunno. I tried resetting the factory setting and I still had slow downs, random recovery mode issues and general instability with these recent firmwares. Doing the wps button trick has brought everything where it should be. No issues anymore.

Do they not sticky basic things like that on this forum?

I dunno. I tried resetting the factory setting and I still had slow downs, random recovery mode issues and general instability with these recent firmwares. Doing the wps button trick has brought everything where it should be. No issues anymore.

i ssh'd into the router and did a

mtd-erase -d nvram

then rebooted. All the same thing.

Its amazing to me that resetting works so well to fix issues. it really should be the first thing you do.

What's the WPS button trick?

[deXter];68350 said:
What's the WPS button trick?
It's the "Reset to default" trick!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
A factory reset was the first thing I did after I installed .28 fw.

First thing I would do is either disable WAN access to SSH, or enable brute-force protection. Your log shows that you are regularly bombarded with connection attempts from worms trying to get into your router. I don't know how secure your password is, but it's possible that someone might be managing in getting in.

There is little info in the log about what causes the disconnection. I do see mentions about the Ethernet link going up, which means it could be a problem between the router and the modem. Try is to replace the Ethernet cable between them. Make sure it's Cat5e or Cat6. Also, try a full power cycle of the modem to fully reinitialize it (turn it off, wait 10 minutes, then turn it back on). Also, try changing DHCP mode from Aggressive to Normal on the WAN page (or the other way around if it was already on Normal).

I can try this, but what i would love to do is save some of the stuff in nvram off, like router address, the SSID names, the dns address and just a few other important things. I am going to look around the nvram settings and try to figure out what to save, i'll report back here later.

FWIW, I took some screen shots of the browser interface to make sure I didn't miss any important info.

FWIW, I took some screen shots of the browser interface to make sure I didn't miss any important info.

I just used that script i posed in the nvram thread. but you have to set up enough so you can ssh/telnet into the router to set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!