What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just wanted to give an FYI, since the update to version 3.0.0.4._372.31_0 I have seen a big improvement in 5Ghz performance. I was going through drivers installed on my computer and I noticed I was running version 15.6 of the Intel Centrino 6300 driver. Since there was a newer version on Intel's site I decided to update it to the latest, 15.8. Just doing some preliminary tests I have seen the fastest speeds I have ever seen since purchasing my AC66U (which is not saying much). The fastest speed I have seen so far transferring files is 17Mbps. Which is about 4Mbps more than I was seeing before updating the driver. YMMV but its worth a shot in my opinion.

I also found updating to the latest Centrino drivers helps in performance and stability with this new firmware. I was getting variable speeds (when transferring large files it fluctuates pretty badly) before upgrading the drivers.

By the way, you do mean 17MBps right?

So should I flip a coin to decide if the firmware is the problem or the router ?

Unfortunately, the only way to really troubleshoot the kind of issue you are experiencing would be to hook up a serial cable to it, and see the actual error message that comes out when it crashes and reboots itself. Not something regular users can do.

Otherwise, we could start again from the beginning (I haven't kept track of the troubleshooting steps you've been through so far). Factory default reset, configure only the WAN interface and wifi security + SSID, see if it remains stable for a day or two (without any USB disk plugged in, or changing any other settings such as QoS or advanced wireless settings).

Asus released an update a couple days ago (August 2nd), version 3.0.0.4.276, which lists some additional fixes.

What's the difference between that and 3.0.0.4.372.1393?

Asus released an update a couple days ago (August 2nd), version 3.0.0.4.276, which lists some additional fixes.

What's the difference between that and 3.0.0.4.372.1393?

276 is based on 6+ months old code, it's just an update to that older firmware since Asus hasn't backported the wireless driver to the newer 372 code.

Make sure the router gets the correct time.

The time is correct. It only seemed to affect the Apple products in the house. Both the Macbook Air and the IPad could not get to the internet but the wired PCs had no issues.

Perhaps it was a wireless glitch?

Last edited:
The time is correct. It only seemed to affect the Apple products in the house. Both the Macbook Air and the IPad could not get to the internet but the wired PCs had no issues.

i hate apple. sorry, it had to be said.

Make sure you only paste whatever is in the BEGIN/END block, including those two lines.

I tested with a 2048 bit key and the resulting file was still small enough to fit, so I'm not sure what they are doing if the required key is even larger.

Hi Merlin,

• Reverted to V29
  • Deleted the code above BEGIN in Open key client certicate
  • Switch off start with wan
  • Upgrade to V31

....And it works

Switch on start with wan, works too

I tried to refresh the key and it works too

Merci pour ta précieuse aide

I will upgrade to your latest version, disable hw acceleration later on today and see what's happening. "Normally" the router will reboot within a day.

RMerlin,

My rt-ac66u is now running more then a day with ipv6 on Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 with hardware acceleration disabled without any sudden reboots. So the issue is probably located arround the hw-acceleration. However in .270 it runs stable with hw-acceleration. I didn't notice any performance decrease but I'm wondering what the hw acceleration actually does and what the catch is to turn it off.

I did notice that the System Log->Ipv6 log shows one device as a MAC address with a lot of IPv6 addresses behind it. There are more then one IPv6 capable devices connected and they can succesfully run the test on http://ipv6-test.com/

Last edited:

Hi Balin,
I have MBP and iPad too and I occasionaly see some problem on changing the FW on the router, I just disconnect the Wifi and delete the related "preferred network" entry on the "network Preference" then reestart and renable the wifi.
Hope this help ;)

I have no USB disk attached , no wired connections , just wireless on the 2.4 and the 5 GHz band.
No QoS settings on and each band has it's own SSID.
I have been sticking with the AC66U waiting for the new Broadcom driver to get a stable 5 GHz connection till now - that's more than 6 months now so my last resort now is to test DD-WRT f/w and see if I still get router reboots or not.

Unfortunately, the only way to really troubleshoot the kind of issue you are experiencing would be to hook up a serial cable to it, and see the actual error message that comes out when it crashes and reboots itself. Not something regular users can do.

Otherwise, we could start again from the beginning (I haven't kept track of the troubleshooting steps you've been through so far). Factory default reset, configure only the WAN interface and wifi security + SSID, see if it remains stable for a day or two (without any USB disk plugged in, or changing any other settings such as QoS or advanced wireless settings).

RMerlin,

My rt-ac66u is now running more then a day with ipv6 on Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 with hardware acceleration disabled without any sudden reboots. So the issue is probably located arround the hw-acceleration. However in .270 it runs stable with hw-acceleration. I didn't notice any performance decrease but I'm wondering what the hw acceleration actually does and what the catch is to turn it off.

The HW acceleration module is closed source - Asus themselves don't even have its source code, so who knows for sure what it does exactly.

The HW acceleration module is closed source - Asus themselves don't even have its source code, so who knows for sure what it does exactly.

Has anyone here made a quantitative analysis of any performance gain by enabling HW acceleration? Maybe it's a lot of smoke a mirrors. :)

BUG report :

I am still seeing what looks like a double execution of the "Firewall-start" script in this version.

Regards,
Gary

Got a wifi bug on latest release

Hi all

Since latest update 372.31 i have had a annoying bug. After a day or so no device can connect to the wireless 2,4 net. The bug comes randomly but often within 24h. on my wired machine i just need to logon to the router change channel and then it works again. wired and 5G seems to work without issues. I have now cleared nvram to see if it helps. I havne not made any Changes lately that should cause this. The problem started after upgrade.

Please help anyone.

Thanks for your work as Always Merlin.

Has anyone here made a quantitative analysis of any performance gain by enabling HW acceleration? Maybe it's a lot of smoke a mirrors. :)

WAN to LAN performance drops from 700+ Mbits to around 150 Mbits when HW acceleration is disabled.

Hi all

Since latest update 372.31 i have had a annoying bug. After a day or so no device can connect to the wireless 2,4 net. The bug comes randomly but often within 24h. on my wired machine i just need to logon to the router change channel and then it works again. wired and 5G seems to work without issues. I have now cleared nvram to see if it helps. I havne not made any Changes lately that should cause this. The problem started after upgrade.

Please help anyone.

Thanks for your work as Always Merlin.

Hard to help you if you don't mention which router you are using.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!