What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i have the n66u. but i read that going from the latest asus firmware to this one just needed a firmware updated and then a router reboot and that was it? Is a reboot fine or did i need to do the nvram step? Hopefully this didn't mess anything up. Everything does seem to be running fine but i want to make sure i did it right. I appreciate the firmwares you release.

thanks,
gabe

Because there is a lot of old, obsolete versions in use out there.

But if they don't confirm whether the latest firmware does resolve the issues or not, the users will still be left to wonder if they can protect themselves or not. It shows that those expert are more interested in the publicity they can get from such public discoveries than in genuinely helping people to secure their environment. That's where I personally have a problem with most of these "experts".

Security tests should always be done at the very least against the latest available version in addition to whatever older version they test.

Have been using merlins dualwan firmwares on asus rt-n16 since 2 weeks. The router has been rock stable and dual wan works perfectly. Thanks merlin for the firmware.

some details about my RT-N16 dual wan config
wan1 is a pppoe connection
wan2 lan port4 with automatic ip
dual wan is set to load balance mode and routing tables are enabled for dual wan. i have separately configured which connection each device should use in the dual wan page.

i have a very trivial issue.
Services(ping,ntp,ddns etc) on RT-N16(ip being 192.168.3.1) are unable to reach the internet with dual wan enabled.
so i tried adding router ip 192.168.3.1 to dual wan routing table. it works somewhat.
i am able to allow internet connection for router services by routing 192.168.3.1 to my secondary wan. but routing connection to primary wan - pppoe connection wont enable internet for router services.
as i told earlier its only a trivial matter and its solved for me , but just wanted to bring this to the notice of the developer.

just to highlight how great a dualwan router the rt-n16 is - Had been earlier using dualwan tomato firmware from dualwan.cn on my rt-n16 since about 2 years. Dual wan had been rock stable and reliable on this tomato firmware too , but updates to the firmware has stopped.

Thanks merlin again for the dualwan firmware.

Now this lack of net connectivity for router services is becoming an issue. My dual wan setup is as described above. Even if specific route is mentioned for router ip in the dual wan page, router services -ddns,ntp etc loose connectivity after few hours. Other devices doesnt have this connection losing issue on dual wan. Just applying the settings on dual wan page again seems to fix the issue for few hours.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk HD

RMerlin what do the letters near the Control channel mean. For example when I am changing a control channel on the WLAN it has a letter after the channel ?

Also thank you for this release. I have been waiting for this final release for a while and have moved from 270_26b to this one.

RMerlin what do the letters near the Control channel mean. For example when I am changing a control channel on the WLAN it has a letter after the channel ?

Also thank you for this release. I have been waiting for this final release for a while and have moved from 270_26b to this one.

l = lower channel, u = upper channel. It determines if the secondary channel is above or below the selected channel when using 40 MHz channel width.

Hi,

I just upgraded from .270.25 to 372.31 and now I have poor wan throughput. I have a 250/250Mbit connection and with my computer connected directly to wan I get around 240/220Mbit stable throughput. When going through my RT-N66U my throughput varies between 180-50/90-50Mbit.
Anyone have any idea how I can troubleshoot?

(before and after upgrading I cleared nvram)

Last edited:
Just upgraded to 372.31_0-DWyd ,
all works OK ( thanks Marlin ).
I notice that I still have 1,3 - 2,8 ms from client to router (WIFI 5G ) is this not yet fixed ?

Thanks
:cool:

Other than still no matter what I do not being asked to log into USB attached hard drive/folders this firmware has been great.

Full reset, etc., no difference.

:eek: Does it mean that, for example, I can not use the TCP port 443 for OpenVPN server now? In GUI I've marked that web access is not permitted from WAN side and nobody listens on TCP 443 from WAN side -I've checked it!

mine runs openvpn on tcp 443 for quite a while now. Still with the 270 build though and before I used merlin's firmware I had scripted it myself to start from a thumbdrive, and even then from the wan side it used 443.

Hi,

I just upgraded from .270.25 to 372.31 and now I have poor wan throughput. I have a 250/250Mbit connection and with my computer connected directly to wan I get around 240/220Mbit stable throughput. When going through my RT-N66U my throughput varies between 180-50/90-50Mbit.
Anyone have any idea how I can troubleshoot?

(before and after upgrading I cleared nvram)

Go to the Tools -> Sysinfo page, and see if HW acceleration is disabled - it will tell you what feature forces it to be disabled.

Newly upgraded

RMerlin, thanks for this excellent build. I've been a long time user of DD-WRT on my RT-N16, but just recently switched to your Asuswrt-Merlin build after running speed benchmarks comparing both firmwares. The stock Asuswrt firmware allowed throughput speeds literally twice as fast as DD-WRT. I did not want to leave DD-WRT due to the telnet/SSH access and optware capabilities, but after I found your custom Asuswrt-Merlin build I was able to have the best of both worlds!

Thanks again for all your work!

Many Thanks Merlin for his time! Will try out this weekend... I was using 372_30_2
Recently, I am experimenting with Ipv6 Tunneling with Hurricane Electric but had not been getting good speed from the tunnel. Had another friend whom we are on the same ISP, his result does show IPv6 does take advantage of less congested lane provided by HE. I wander if this version had rolled in what was released by Asus 372. which had update of:
IPv6
1. Fixed PPP IPv6 global address retrieval
2. added DHCP-PD option
3. Added LAN DHCPv6 server
4. Added network status GUI.
5. Added option domain name if available

Anyway, I will still try out your experimental release.. Thanks.

Wow , maybe netgear lost sales because their routers do not last long , they stop support way early , my wnr 3700 v1 was not supported for long and the 5 ghz radio crapped out after 8 months , hey netgear take a hint , support your routers , don't drop fw upgrades because you have a new version . My Asus rtn 16 is still getting fw upgrades , bought a few months after the wnr 3700 that lost support 2 years ago !!

Just wanted to give an FYI, since the update to version 3.0.0.4._372.31_0 I have seen a big improvement in 5Ghz performance. I was going through drivers installed on my computer and I noticed I was running version 15.6 of the Intel Centrino 6300 driver. Since there was a newer version on Intel's site I decided to update it to the latest, 15.8. Just doing some preliminary tests I have seen the fastest speeds I have ever seen since purchasing my AC66U (which is not saying much). The fastest speed I have seen so far transferring files is 17Mbps. Which is about 4Mbps more than I was seeing before updating the driver. YMMV but its worth a shot in my opinion.

Last edited:
No problems here using 3.0.0.4.372.31 on RT-N66U , thank you merlin.

ROCK stable and blazing fast (using 2,4, 5Ghz + 2x guest networks, openvpn, umts fallback, etc):
- Uptime 8 days 5 hours 21 minutes 21 seconds

Last edited:
hello, everyone. I need some help. I upgraded to higher speeds from comcast and got a tg862 modem. these are crap but they have a phone line which we need for our phone. I have it set to full bridge mode. The router is handling everything. Right when I got the router and set it up my internet seems to be slower at loading pages, etc than it was before the speed boost. Im not hating on the router but if people can help me out with how to get the most out of my "wired" connection. Also black ops 2 on my ps3 is running noticeable worse than it already was when i hooked it up to the router even with dmz on the ps3. If anybody can help me i would appreciate it. I don't know if i was supposed to NVRAM after i upgraded from the latest asus firmware to this merlin version. All i did was do the firmware upgrade and reboot the router. Was this all that was needed? It was the 370 asus firmware so idk how it should have been done.

thanks,
cubano

Buy rv042 you can do dualwan and sum your connections, I have both rtn66u and rt ac66u they are way not worth it for the same or less price buy rv042 Abd use any of the other (asus) as wifi repeaters!!! Make sure you are using them with correct settings on wifi or they will slow down your network

Disk Sharing Question

I just upgraded from stock 266 to 372.31 (my first use of RMerlin's firmware) on my AC66R. It's only been a few minutes, and I'm only using wired connections at the moment, but it's looking good so far. Thanks RMerlin!

I have a question about the samba sharing of the router and hope someone can point me in the right direction. I can see the USB flash drive I've plugged into the router fine under workgroup on my WinXP pc. However, I've been trying out linux distros in VMplayer on my WinXP pc and I can't get them to see the share on the router. However, they can see the shares on my WinXP pc fine.

Any idea if this is a router or linux sharing issue? Suggestions?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!