What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apart from the run command page not returning anything I have no other issues. fingers crossed we see an intermin build to correct that on the n66u :)

Hi all, just upgraded from .36 beta1 to .38
My 5ghz seems not working properly, the control channel field show me only AUTO as option, regardless the the wireless mode.
There is some extra step to do, in order to re-enable the 5ghz wireless?

Thanks

hmmm ok, seems I've found the issue!
I need to use US as country code, in order to enable the higher channel, up to 161.
I've made a services-start script under /jffs/scripts which run those commands:

nvram set wl0_country_code=US
nvram set wl_country_code=US
nvram set wl1_country_code=US
nvram commit

With US as country code I have no choice under control channel and if I back to EU I can see only 36-48
This was working fine with previous firmware.

Hi all, just upgraded from .36 beta1 to .38
My 5ghz seems not working properly, the control channel field show me only AUTO as option, regardless the the wireless mode.
There is some extra step to do, in order to re-enable the 5ghz wireless?

Thanks

backup your settings and reset the router to test.

hmmm ok, seems I've found the issue!
I need to use US as country code, in order to enable the higher channel, up to 161.
I've made a services-start script under /jffs/scripts which run those commands:

nvram set wl0_country_code=US
nvram set wl_country_code=US
nvram set wl1_country_code=US
nvram commit

With US as country code I have no choice under control channel and if I back to EU I can see only 36-48
This was working fine with previous firmware.
no need for any startup script, I have been setting it to UK and a simple restart leaves the settings at the new region, even after flashing updates. It is only a factory reset that puts it back to EU.

Code:
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=GB
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=GB
nvram set wl0_country_code=GB
nvram set wl1_country_code=GB
nvram set regulation_domain=GB
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=GB
nvram commit

only problem with .38 is the run command page is borked.

backup your settings and reset the router to test.

no need for any startup script, I have been setting it to UK and a simple restart leaves the settings at the new region, even after flashing updates. It is only a factory reset that puts it back to EU.

Code:
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=GB
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=GB
nvram set wl0_country_code=GB
nvram set wl1_country_code=GB
nvram set regulation_domain=GB
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=GB
nvram commit

only problem with .38 is the run command page is borked.

Cheers mate :) your settings have worked perfectly!
Nice to know about no startup script needed

Hi all!

Found this forum today, and might finally get input on my question on a rather strange behavour.

I have 2 disks (1TB and 2TB) connected to my N66U running lastest SDK5 build. (but this bug/error/something have been on stock, and previous versions of Merlin.)

Under tab "Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk" I have of course sharing enabled, BUT I also have "Sharing with account" enabled. Thing is now, I'd like to add a second account to have access to my disks, besides the default admin account.

When I add a new account (i.e user: Share, pass: test), pressing OK, will throw the pop-up "Processing...". But that pop-up never goes away (waited about 10mins) and when refreshing the page, I'm back with only default admin account.

Any ideas? This is perhaps a known bug?

Sorry for being "pushy", but havent anyone else experienced this? :)

I saw a few people reporting that 542 had worse performance than 501, so the driver I got from Asus might actually be closer to the 501 driver than the 542 one.

I have been testing it all night , long distance hd streaming , heavy gaming and downloading .

So far this is the best firmware :D

i m on 38.1

Better WiFi-performance

Hi,
I have a N66U, and flashed ".38_0" directly from ".37_1-oldusb" (without any factory reset).

Before the re-flash, I tested ".37_1" with a Mac software called "NetSpot" (drawing a colored coverage map of my house while walking around with the computer). Now, after the re-flash, I tested ".38_0".

Looking at the 2.4 GHz-maps, I can see better WiFi-performance - especially in the distant zones of my house and in the garden (!). Also "behind walls". It's no dramatic improvement, but on the other hand, I never really had any major coverage problems with previous SDK6-versions (maybe due to an extra access point in a distant room).

When it comes to 5 GHz, i can see no significant change. Maybe a stronger signal in the rooms closest to the room with the N66U.

I might add that i use ch 1 (2.4 GHz) and ch 48 (5 GHz).

Last edited:
Can you be more specific? "cannot overclock" doesn't tell me where you are being stuck.

Dude, this is a hobby I'm doing on my free time. Don't try to rush me, or you might not like my response.

Debugging isn't something that magically bring results faster just because "it's a higher priority".

Merlin, first of all, I apologize if I sounded like one of the impatient kids who do not understand what you do - I really did not mean to... how can I make it up to you?

Overclocking issue: when I was typing standard command in the cmd windows - nvram set clkfreq=1200,800 - the "regular" response is quick, with .8 firmware it felt like a minute. And the next command - nvram commit && reboot - would eventually result on the router hang which I was recovering by power cycling.

GREAT NEWS (and million thanks to Merlin of course): 38.1 seems to resolve the reboot issue - and now the cmd commands are working - I was able to overclock the router!!!! I am going to clear nvram and re-enter all the settings manually and see how the new firmware really works.

Thank you Merlin for resolving the issue so quickly!

"Just get a lot of errors" isn't very informative. Can you be more specific?

The USB issue I was referring to was USB disks not showing at all on the webui.

didn't copy the errors, but most of them looked like usb bulk write errors, i.e. usb bulk write failed : ret = -7

I uploaded new builds for the AC56 and AC68. This should take care of the router hanging on config changes - probably the stuck on reboot issues as well (I haven't had time to extensively test that one).

The issue was caused by a compatibility issue between the emf and igs kernel modules, and their respective userspace tools. All of this is closed source, and the kernel bits are missing in recent GPL releases, forcing me to mix bits from older firmwares along with userspace tools from recent firmwares. The two didn't work correctly together.

I had to go through "other sources" to get matching copies.

I just upgraded my RT-AC68U to your 38.1 release. I went through my whole setup. The router didn't hang a single time.

Thanks for resolving the issue so quickly.

Have you tried 38.1 yet?

38.1 isnt released to N66U yet. But this behaviour about the second file share account goes all the way back to stock Asus fw to lastest SDK5 build (also 37 SKD6). So havent tried the newest 38, but doubt it work. No work's been done there according to the changelog.

Not really sure why anyone havent addressed this issue before :confused:

Last edited:
I'm getting at least as strong, perhaps slightly stronger, signal on both bands of my n66 with 3.0.0.4.374.38_0-em after upgrading from 374.36_beta1-sdk5. No problems flashing, etc. But I don't have any fancy settings either. Thanks!

Now everything runs without Error

thank you Merlin :D
FW 374.38-1

didn't copy the errors, but most of them looked like usb bulk write errors, i.e. usb bulk write failed : ret = -7

My USB cardreaders on the hub doen't get recognised.
They are recognised as GM Modems?! On 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 they are recognised correctly as high speed usb devices.

With 3.0.0.4.374.38 on my N66U I can't get them to work.

This would be correct:
usb 1-1.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-1.1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1.1:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb 1-1.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 1-1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb 1-1.1.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1.1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-1.1.3:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-1.1.3:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 1-1.1.4: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 1-1.1.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-1.1.3.1: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
usb 1-1.1.3.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-1.1.3.4: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
usb 1-1.1.3.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

but in 3.0.0.4.374.38 I do get a complete other output, not showing my cardreader devices for OScam.

Hi Merlin,

I got this error message:

/tmp/mnt/sda1/asusware/etc/privoxy# dmesg
jffs2_flush_wbuf(): Write failed with -5
Write of 615 bytes at 0x0091edd4 failed. returned -5, retlen 0
Not marking the space at 0x0091edd4 as dirty because the flash driver returned retlen zero

/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
/dev/mtdblock5 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)

AC-66U under 3.0.0.4.374.38

Hi Merlin,

Thank you for the good work.
Got some wireless issues with the RT-AC66U.
Did the update from 37-oldusb
5GHZ was not visible anymore and 2.4 GHZ was not stable.
Did a reset with the 30/30/30

Afterwards 5GHZ was visible again. However still both bands not stable.
Are more people experiencing the same issues.

Now back on 35-4 which is stable again for me.

My normal settings:
2.4 GHZ
20 mhz
channel 6
wireless mode auto

5GHZ
40 mhz
channel auto
wireless mode N+AC
regulation d+h to have it working on my mac

Bonjour,
Actuellement avec mon routeur RT-AC66U avec le firmware 3.0.0.354.29-Beta1 connexion WAN en PPPOE, j'ai sur le port 1 mon iMac, sur le port 2 un switch 8 port, sur le port 3 mon NAS, sur le port 4 la Freebox routeur (DHCP désactivé, IP fixe 192.168.1.254, même plage d'adresse pour différentes raison).
ça fonctionne bien. :)

Avec le firmware 3.0.0.4.374.38 (et aussi 3.0.0.4.374_1631 et 3.0.0.4.374.37) le port 3 et 4 ne fontionnent plus, je pense que le mode double WAN s'enclenche automatiquement.
Est-ce qu'il a une commande pour désactiver cette fonction définitivement?

PS: aucun problème si la Freebox routeur est débranchée.
PS2: Les port USB remarche ^^.

merci pour tout le travail fournie depuis le debut RMerlin. ;)

Hi,
currently on my RT-AC66U router (192.168.1.253) with the firmware 3.0.0.354.29-Beta1 on Wan PPPOE i have on port 1 My iMac, on port 2 a 8 port Switch, on port 3 a Nas, and on port 4 a Freebox router (DHCP deactived, static IP 192.168.1.254, same adress range for many raisons).
It works well. :)

With the firmware 3.0.0.4.374.38 (3.0.0.4.374_1631 and 3.0.0.4.374.37 too) port 3 and 4 not working, i think dual wan activates automatically.
Is there a command to disable this option definitely?

PS: no problems with Freebox router unplugged.
PS2: the USB port working again ^^.

thank you for all the work provided since the beginning RMerlin. ;)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!