What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38_1 running very stable at home. Actually, it´s the only firmware that works good on my asus ac66u--very speedy wireless, descent range, etc--, much better than any current build of open/tomato/dd-wrt)
But a VERY weird thing happens randomly once a day or so: no matter what link or internet address you click or enter in your browser, you get redirected to your router's ip, and you are so GIVEN UNRESTRICTED ACCESS to your router's admin page. When that happens, you get access to it even on computers or browsers you have not used for router´s admin purposes. Every thing related to Port Forwarding is disabled, by the way, but SOME port forwarding DID happened, as shown to me in System Log/Port forwarding tab.:eek: :

Destination Proto. Port range Redirect to Local port Chain
!192.168.2.0 TCP 80 192.168.2.1 18017 PREROUTING

To drop not-vpn traffic when openvpn client is disconnected, i have:

cat /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o eth0 -j DROP

Another thindg is: `nvram get wan_iface` shows NOTHING

Router is behind a DSL modem and have a successful openvpn client runnnig on it

Operation Mode:Wireless router
Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.38_1

best regards and thanks for your effort on this really useful firmware

somebody mentioned it should be wan0_iface

Just wanted to say thanks to Merlin for his incredible work. I've had the rt-ac66u for a long time now but finally decided to try out the Merlin FW and overall it's been great. Yeah, I can't go back to stock firmware now :)

I love the wireless system log with the RSSI numbers. It was really helpful in positioning my antennas and gained me over 10 dBm in some dead spots in the house.

I got openvpn setup and working which wasn't too hard.

I got ssh tunneling working too with putty. I do have a question about ssh. I've got it working for the most part with Allow SSH Port Forwarding enabled. I can pretty much surf to any site and it works through the tunnel. The only sites I can't hit are my self hosted ones on one of my machines on my internal network. I use custom dyndns and whenever I hit my domain it just redirects me to the asus web admin page instead of my web site. It doesn't matter what port I specify. It always takes me to the asus router page. If I disable SSH Port forwarding then no sites work. It's not a major issue or anything and I can live with it but just wondering what I'm missing (could be a putty configuration issue actually).

I used dd-wrt on a netgear 3700 a long time ago that didn't have this issue. I was just recently using copssh just running on a windows machine, and it also didn't exhibit this behavior.

Last edited:
Another thindg is: `nvram get wan_iface` shows NOTHING
Hi,

You can use the following command do query all WAN settings from NVRAM:
Code:
nvram show | grep -e wan\_ -e wan0\_ -e wan1\_ | sort | more

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

...whenever I hit my domain it just redirects me to the asus web admin page instead of my web site.

mmmm, sounds that has something to do with the marvelous thing i see on my Asus ac66u. :eek: Have you read my post a few posts above?

kind regards

Thanks. I will give it a shot when I get home and post the results.

I can report that changing it to channel 36 allowed me to see and connect to the 5ghz AP from the devices that were having the issue. I suppose my question now is, with it set to Auto it never seemed to switch to channel 36. Would there be a reason it would never auto hop to channel 36?

I can report that changing it to channel 36 allowed me to see and connect to the 5ghz AP from the devices that were having the issue. I suppose my question now is, with it set to Auto it never seemed to switch to channel 36. Would there be a reason it would never auto hop to channel 36?

No idea what logic it uses to chose a channel. It might have jumped to a higher channel because something else was already on 36 or a nearby channel perhaps.

374.38_2 builds are being uploaded to Mediafire. I was waiting hoping to get newer GPL code that might contain additional fixes, but looks like Asus won't be uploading it before the weekend, so I'm releasing whatever fixes I already had in the pipeline, plus a webui optimization that was initially planned for a future release.

Code:
3.0.0.4.374.38_2 (17-Jan-2014):
   - CHANGED: Improved webui responsiveness by instructing the browser 
              to cache images.
   - CHANGED: Reverted minidlna to 374.37 code.  While the latest code 
              brings some fixes, it seems to also break functionality 
              for a small number of users.  Too many low-level changes 
              from the minidlna author to make it easy to debug.
   - FIXED: Syntax error in DHCPv6 client config (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: Domain field wasn't clearly identified on the webui 
            when DDNS set to Namecheap (Saintdev)
   - FIXED: Missing carriage return in dnsmasq.conf when PPTP VPN
            is enabled, causing LAN name resolution issues.
            (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: A few unescaped quotes in the French dict would break
            some webui pages (such as the Wireless page).
            (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: OpenVPN server export would always export the first 
            server instance configuration.
   - FIXED: Bogus "Config file is missing" error logged by pptpd when 
            it was starting (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: "Advertise DNS" wasn't visible if the page was loaded and 
            "Respond to DNS" was already enabled.

This will probably be the final release in the 374.38 series. Next we'll have to wait for newer GPL code to get the finalized USB hub support amongst other things.

Hi Merlin, Is there anything in the latest official AC66 firmware that isn't included in this release? Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cool, i'll flash this tonight just to see the new webui responsiveness. probably would have held off til your 39 release otherwise. cheers

[edit/] UI seems snappier flipping between menus in chrome, nifty

joegreat said:
Code:
nvram show
finally played with this; ty. `nvram get wan_ipaddr` would have been useful to me recently

Last edited:
374.38_2 builds are being uploaded to Mediafire. I was waiting hoping to get newer GPL code that might contain additional fixes, but looks like Asus won't be uploading it before the weekend, so I'm releasing whatever fixes I already had in the pipeline, plus a webui optimization that was initially planned for a future release.

Code:
3.0.0.4.374.38_2 (17-Jan-2014):
   - CHANGED: Improved webui responsiveness by instructing the browser 
              to cache images.
   - CHANGED: Reverted minidlna to 374.37 code.  While the latest code 
              brings some fixes, it seems to also break functionality 
              for a small number of users.  Too many low-level changes 
              from the minidlna author to make it easy to debug.
   - FIXED: Syntax error in DHCPv6 client config (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: Domain field wasn't clearly identified on the webui 
            when DDNS set to Namecheap (Saintdev)
   - FIXED: Missing carriage return in dnsmasq.conf when PPTP VPN
            is enabled, causing LAN name resolution issues.
            (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: A few unescaped quotes in the French dict would break
            some webui pages (such as the Wireless page).
            (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: OpenVPN server export would always export the first 
            server instance configuration.
   - FIXED: Bogus "Config file is missing" error logged by pptpd when 
            it was starting (Asus bug)
   - FIXED: "Advertise DNS" wasn't visible if the page was loaded and 
            "Respond to DNS" was already enabled.

This will probably be the final release in the 374.38 series. Next we'll have to wait for newer GPL code to get the finalized USB hub support amongst other things.

Hi RMerlin what difference between 374.38_2 and 374.38_2_em versions?What version working stable?

Hi Merlin, Is there anything in the latest official AC66 firmware that isn't included in this release? Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hard to say since there is no source code available. I highly doubt it however since I'm using newer code than this release (2078 vs 2050).

Is a factory reset required if upgrading from 38_1em to 38_2em ?

No. A reset is only recommended if coming from something older than 374.38.

Merlin, per your request to 'Please give this a try as well if you are using a 200+ Mbps PPPoE connection.'

I've tried 3.0.0.4.374.38-em and can confirm on my 330/30 Mbps PPPoE connection it's giving speeds very close to maximum.

This is the first time I've seen the Asus RT-N66U get anywhere near the maximum of my line speeds, having used over the last 13 months the stock Asus firmware then 3.0.0.4.374.32_0 before replacing the router with a ZyXEL.

Thank you!

Good morning Merlin,

I'm using an AC66U and just flashed 3.0.0.4.374.38_2. The only problem I've noticed so far is on the 'Tools' tab, 'Network' section I'm not showing any clients associated on either radio. I have at least six connected (3 per radio). Thanks as always for your work.

Its been approximately an hour and my 2.4 clients have started to appear but no 5ghz clients thus far.

I now have 5ghz clients.

Last edited:
Gang -

I have an RT-N66U with a clean install of 3.0.0.4.374.38_1-em. I've seen several reports on here about people seeing greatly improved wireless signal and range on both the 2.4 and 5.0 bands but I'm not seeing similar results at all.

Coming from 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 and going to 3.0.0.4.374.38_1-em, I am not seeing similar results either. No worst, no better, basically all the same for both frequencies. :(

New guy here and I just first want to thank RMerlin for all his work. Donation will be posted shortly. :)

I just rolled back to 35_4 since it seems that 38_2 breaks IPv6 for me. Have not tried 38_1 yet. Tried resetting and messing around in the IPv6 section with little success.

On an unrelated 35_4 note, HW Acceleration causes instability and the router reboots within 24 hours. Hasn't really bothered me since I'm not one of the fortunate few that has Internet access above 120mbps.

This is on a N66U.

Last edited:
VPN Client does not work!

Hi Merlin!

Nice work!

I have the Problem that the vpn Client Funktion (L2TP) does not work after firmware 36_beta1 with ASUS AC-RT68U!

36_beta1 works great, but all firmwares after that have the Problem:

if i connect to a vpn Server in the log is all ok but there is no dataflow any more so Internet is down... if i disconnect from the VPN Server everything runs again fine...

i always Flash the Roms, hard reset and Manual reconfig... no Reimport or something...

I tried all firmwares afer 36 beta1 and all the same Problem...

Whats do you mean is the Problem?

Greetings from Germany, sorry for my english!
Martin

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!