What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.45 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After the flash of the latest firmware, I found that my 5g wireless uses the same ssid with the 2.4g band, i remember that i used to have two different ssid for different bands. is it the way it is supposed to be?

Must be your browser or an autofill addon in it messing with your settings. I have distinct SSIDs here and don't have any problem.

The thing is that my laptop does not see the 5g ssid. It used to see that.

Must be your browser or an autofill addon in it messing with your settings. I have distinct SSIDs here and don't have any problem.

Last edited:
The thing is that my laptop does not see the 5g ssid. It used to see that.

You are talking two completely different things then. Is the issue that the 5 GHz is broadcast with the same SSID as the 2.4 GHz, or that it's not broadcasting at all?

Ok...so I have been running this build on my AC56U for a week or so now....

Now I notice that all my wifi devices (only using 5ghz)are getting very slow speeds. Transferring files from my laptop(Intel AC7260) only get 1-2MB's. Windows reports the link rate as fine (866 when in same room as router).

I rebooted the router(powered off then on) last night, and all was back to normal. Get up today, and its back to slow wifi.

Edit: Something is defienlty up...link rates are dipping quite low and fluctuating now...even when i am not moving.

Last edited:
Now I notice that all my wifi devices are getting very slow speeds.

I downgraded back to 44 from 45. My phone was getting disconnected. Not really disconnected as it was still attached to wifi, it just couldn't get to the internet. One of the laptops in the house had that happen too - it had been on all night, and in the morning couldn't get to the internet. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting works, but 44 doesn't have this issue. This is on the RT-AC66U.

I downgraded back to 44 from 45. My phone was getting disconnected. Not really disconnected as it was still attached to wifi, it just couldn't get to the internet. One of the laptops in the house had that happen too - it had been on all night, and in the morning couldn't get to the internet. Simply disconnecting and reconnecting works, but 44 doesn't have this issue. This is on the RT-AC66U.

I just tried downgrading to .44....but same issues. Using my laptop in my living room, link rates are super low...1-24....when I first flashed merlin, and back when I was on stock, I never saw anything below 300.

Not sure what is causing the degradation.

My phone was getting disconnected. Not really disconnected as it was still attached to wifi, it just couldn't get to the internet.

I'm having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It periodically tells me the Internet is unstable on my RT-N66 connection and switches from the 2.4GHz connection to 4G or to the 5GHz connection. If I turn off the automatic switching on the phone and forget the 5GHz connection, Internet browsing just stalls periodically and the phone complains about unstable Internet.

I did have this issue on .43 (which I upgraded to .45 from) as well, but to a lesser extent. Frankly, I'm not sure if it's the router/firmware or its settings, the phone, or simply something wrong with the very high-speed Comcast connection. (On .43, my Motorola Xoom would lose Internet semi-permanently while still connected to the router over a few days, and turning Wi-Fi off and on would fix that until the next time. Edit: Just checked and it's the same situation under .45. The Xoom used to be Internet connected all the time in my home -- I didn't notice what firmware version changed that, since I don't use it often; might have been after leaving the "-em" period.)

Other than those WAN issues, .45 is working smooth for me -- a little less signal strength (off the router while in the car in my driveway in front of the garage where I was on it with a couple of bars in .43). All-in-all, both Wi-Fi and wired Internet and LAN speeds are super.

Last edited:
I just tried downgrading to .44....but same issues. Using my laptop in my living room, link rates are super low...1-24....when I first flashed merlin, and back when I was on stock, I never saw anything below 300.

Not sure what is causing the degradation.
I had the exact same problem on my AC56U and 376.44 & 376.45. Reboots fixed issues every time, but speed degradation and connection issues soon returned, usually within a day. Downgrading back to 374.43 was the only solution for me. It's been rock solid.

Issue with MAC Filter

I upgraded my RT68 to version 45. Suddenly the MAC Filter doesn't work anymore for the printer. Once I activate the MAC Filter the printer cannot connect anymore and I can't Ping it. Tried with version 44 and there its working fine. All other devices have no problem connecting with the MAC Filter enabled
Now I have disabled the MAC Filter. I know its not the best security feature, but I'd like to use it as additonal one anyway.
Anyone got any idea.

Everything working great

I just wanted to report in that after a couple weeks running 376.45, everything is great. I had an issue with .44 version giving slow USB transfer speeds (in the 3-4 MB/s range), but .45 is back to the usual 8-9 MB/s transfer rate.

Thanks so much for the dedication you have shown on this project, Merlin. I cannot imagine the long hours and frustration you have to deal with on something like this. I really appreciate your generosity. And your excellent output!!

I flashed my AC56U back to stock...still have issues...infact...they seem even worse. 5g Wifi degrades to unusable after a few minutes. (going to try a clean flash of stock firmware via recovery mode later) I don't have time to mess with it now.

In the mean time...I picked up an AC68U at Microcenter(where I work... :D) Got that setup now with stock firmware....everything seems good so far.

With factory reset and fresh install 376.45 on my AC56U I have problem with disk spin down. Previous versions worked just fine.
If I install Download Manager 3.1.0.93, disk never stops. If I deinstall It, disk performs spin down. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. Trying to flash a brand new 56U to 376.45 and having 0 luck.

> Attempted to update via the Web GUI - no dice --> unable to connect
> Attempted to flash in recovery mode (using latest DL from asus site) no dice.. the upload gets to 27%, then stops abruptly, then says disconnected.

> I've tried the 376.45, 44, 43-2 versions all show the same behavior.

I resorted to DL the latest ASUS FW 374_5656 from the ASUS site and was able to recover the 56U back to that FW level.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Which 56U? The RT-AC56U or the RT-N56U?

You can try unplugging all USB devices, rebooting the router, wait about 5 minutes after it boots up and using an unzipped trx file for the correct router you have, try again.

Minor request

First off, I would like to say thank you to Merlin for the latest firmware update and to keep up the excellent work. Now I have a very minor request, so minor there is no rush for it to be implemented. In the client page where you can click on the icon for each device and be able to change the icon. I was wondering if you could add a printer icon eventually to the list of icons as well? I really like the idea of customizing the device names and the ability to change their icon as well to reflect what the device is.

There is one other request/feature I would love to see in a future firmware if it's possible. Under the guest network, is it possible for you to add a feature to limit/adjust upload and download speed for each network? This is a courtesy of owners allowing others to be able to surf the net for free but the owner should also be able to adjust the maximum upload and download speed to prevent these guests/strangers from hogging all the bandwith to do their gaming/streaming/etc.

Once again keep up the awesome work Merlin!

Cheers,
Morden

Which 56U? The RT-AC56U or the RT-N56U?

...for the correct router you have, try again.

My BAD for not paying closer attention. There are no USB devices connected but that's not my problem.

....but boy do I feel stupid. My RT-N56U is not supported. I should know better. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Merlin, echoing others, THANKS for EVERYTHING you do for the ASUS community! You are truly making a difference. Thanks!

Last edited:
RT-AC66U

Seems I'm not the only one with some stability problems on this FW version (376.45)

Experiencing dropouts, and unstable 2.4Ghz speeds.

Last edited:
First off, I would like to say thank you to Merlin for the latest firmware update and to keep up the excellent work. Now I have a very minor request, so minor there is no rush for it to be implemented. In the client page where you can click on the icon for each device and be able to change the icon. I was wondering if you could add a printer icon eventually to the list of icons as well? I really like the idea of customizing the device names and the ability to change their icon as well to reflect what the device is.

I can't - I'm not an artist.

There is one other request/feature I would love to see in a future firmware if it's possible. Under the guest network, is it possible for you to add a feature to limit/adjust upload and download speed for each network? This is a courtesy of owners allowing others to be able to surf the net for free but the owner should also be able to adjust the maximum upload and download speed to prevent these guests/strangers from hogging all the bandwith to do their gaming/streaming/etc.

That would require too many changes to the code, and falls beyond the scope of this project, sorry.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!