What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The numbers you post are quite similar to what one would get out of that router without HW acceleration. Go to the Tools Sysinfo page, and see if you have any enabled feature that causes NAT acceleration to be automatically disabled.
I haven't enabled any feature. No QoS in here or anything special. I have also done the factory reset a few times. Here is a screenshot with the Sysinfo page. What else to try?

Attachments

• 2014-11-26_193837.jpg
    2014-11-26_193837.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 385
HW acceleration and QOS address two completely different scenarios. HW acceleration is essential to reach speeds beyond 100-150 Mbps on an N66/AC66, or 300 Mbps on an AC56/AC68/AC87. Without it, the router's CPU is simply unable to keep up. QoS is meant to priorize traffic, so if you do a lot of torrenting at the same time as you use audio/video streaming, you will ensure that the streaming will remain smooth and not cut off constantly.

In general, QoS is mostly necessary if you use timing-critical services (especially VoIP) at the same time as heavy downloading from multiple sources (read: torrents). So it's probably best to disable QoS in your case.

CTF is the only mode supported by your router model. CTF+FA is only supported by the RT-AC87U (and possibly the RT-AC68P).
These numbers are a bit low... I have two RT-AC66Us, one running your firmware and the other running AdvancedTomato, because AsusWRT including your variant still does not route multicast packets across a wireless bridge, leaving discovery of Netflix, AirPlay, etc broken. Anyway, AdvancedTomato doesn't ship ctf.ko at all because it breaks too many of its features, but I pull 170mbit downstream from the Internet over the bridge and transfer files at 400-500mbit between LAN clients. The router with Tomato just has my laptop connected directly via ethernet and the one running your firmware has my fileserver and modem (and another switch with other devices) wired directly into it.

These numbers are a bit low... I have two RT-AC66Us, one running your firmware and the other running AdvancedTomato, because AsusWRT including your variant still does not route multicast packets across a wireless bridge, leaving discovery of Netflix, AirPlay, etc broken. Anyway, AdvancedTomato doesn't ship ctf.ko at all because it breaks too many of its features, but I pull 170mbit downstream from the Internet over the bridge and transfer files at 400-500mbit between LAN clients. The router with Tomato just has my laptop connected directly via ethernet and the one running your firmware has my fileserver and modem (and another switch with other devices) wired directly into it.

LAN to LAN client will always be at the full LAN speed, because that traffic is just switched, not routed. There is no CPU involved.

LAN to WAN traffic however is routed, and therefore limited by the CPU's processing power, unless using shortcuts such as those used by CTF. Your 170 Mbits is pretty close to the 150 Mbits I give as a general ballpark for MIPS routers - that value will depend on what else you have configured on your router.

I haven't enabled any feature. No QoS in here or anything special. I have also done the factory reset a few times. Here is a screenshot with the Sysinfo page. What else to try?

HW acceleration over PPPoE seems to randomly get fixed/broken/re-fixed by Asus over the course of the different firmware releases. 3626 upgraded to a newer version of PPP, so that could have an impact on performance.

noob question

Hi Merlin,

I recently flashed your latest 376.48_3 on my N66U and it is my first custom firmware for the router.

Just wanted to ask what is TX power when set to 100% is it 80 mw or higher? And if it is 80 mw is there any way to increase it to 200 mw?

Tried searching a bit, but didn't find anything.

Thanks

This is not a good thread for this question. That is to say, this is not a question about the ...48 release of the Merlin software, you are asking if in general the Merlin software has an adjustment for transmit power for the 'N66. If you had done a Google Bing etc search on the words "adjust transmit asus merlin N66" you would have found the answer to this question.

For your convenience, everything you might want to know about this subject is here:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=18228

You might also enjoy reading this article on the topic from this SmallNetBuilder website:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/32228-an-experiment-in-wireless-power-and-range

Last edited:
DSL Problem

I have a dual wan setting, main cable, secondary dsl.

After upgrading to 48_3 DSL randomly lost echo and restarts itself. About 50 times a day (I receive an email for every wan restore)

Went back to 47, everything seems to back to normal.

When I download a torrent or a Mega file, my router seems saturated.

I can't connect to websites and sometimes I lose access to wifi on my computers and my iPad.

Do you have any idea why ?

Well, i found the major bug that caused the AC68U to drop speeds from 700Mbps to arround 300Mbps. You will not gonna believe where the culprit was! It's the damn MAC Clone (from WAN Menu - MAC Address - MAC Clone). If i set to clone my PC MAC, it saves the settings and everything goes down (upto 300Mbps). Just remove the MAC, hit Apply, and then voila... back to over 700Mbps. Speeds. Unbelievable... hope you can fix this RMerlin! And i hope this was helpfull.

That's likely not the code, but your ISP doing that. Whenever you change the router MAC, you should power down your modem for 15-30 minutes to force the ISP to reset.

One more thing that i have found to be akward in the last build: WAN - DDNS refresh interval. It can only be setup for days, which seems to be a little too much. Is it possible to customize this and set it up for hours - maybe in the next version? Or maybe force a refresh everytime you reconnect to ISP?

Thanks!

Hi,
Are there any known issues with ASUS-RTN66 and Merline 376.45 or .48 firmwares? I was using a very old firmware version but then finally updated to 376.45 in September. Since then my bandwidth usage has increase by manifolds. On some days, the usage is almost 300GB!
Speaking to my ISP, they said something about "SSDP Vulnerability" and to turn off Asus Upnp. Is any of this related?

One more thing that i have found to be akward in the last build: WAN - DDNS refresh interval. It can only be setup for days, which seems to be a little too much. Is it possible to customize this and set it up for hours - maybe in the next version? Or maybe force a refresh everytime you reconnect to ISP?

Thanks!

You misunderstand what that setting is for. It's not for re-checking if the IP was changed, it's for forcing an update. Some DDNS providers require you to update at least once per month or otherwise they will consider your account to be inactive. This will typically be set to something like 25 days then to force one monthly refresh.

Hi,
Are there any known issues with ASUS-RTN66 and Merline 376.45 or .48 firmwares? I was using a very old firmware version but then finally updated to 376.45 in September. Since then my bandwidth usage has increase by manifolds. On some days, the usage is almost 300GB!
Speaking to my ISP, they said something about "SSDP Vulnerability" and to turn off Asus Upnp. Is any of this related?

Asuswrt is not vulnerable to this. They do not expose UPNP to the WAN side.

Page is totally loaded..
Thus, this is what I see :)

The only particular interaction that page does with the httpd is related to USB disks - everything else is just standard nvram_get() and nvram_match() calls.

Can you see if the problem still occurs if you remove any plugged USB disks before accessing that page?

Can't disable MAC Filter

Hi Folks,

I just realized that I can't disable the MAC filter on my Guest network.

Before I had a MAC filter enabled on SSID 2.4/5G and only in one Guest SSID, the second guest was without MAC filter and with Access intranet disabled.

Now all the networks are MAC filter enabled, disabling using the GUI don't change anything.

Can someone check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!