What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.52 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AiRadar is a generic, marketing-wise term, that includes various different techniques to improve range. The AC68U added actual beamforming (as part of the 802.11 specifications) support to that whole marketing package.

I'm missing something but when i try to forward another item with the same port (different IP of course) it won't let me. So you can only have 1 IP with that port forwarded? What am i missing?

FYI, wireless is superior to tomato wireless...I jsut need to get use to this interface!

I'm missing something but when i try to forward another item with the same port (different IP of course) it won't let me. So you can only have 1 IP with that port forwarded? What am i missing?

You can't. It's as if you wanted to have one door that opened to two different rooms at the same time - it's just physically impossible. Beside, how would a packet arriving at the router know which of the two forwards to go through? Only the first rule would ever work.

Anybody have any issues with Galaxy note 3 connection issues with 52_2 my wifes phone just will not stay connected to the 5 Ghz band reverting to John's fork and all is great.

I too have a problem regarding the drive mounting. I ran windows chkdsk and repaired any filesystem problems, ran crystal disk info SMART check and found no issues. The RT-AC68R mounts well on the stock firmware but sometimes takes a while. It does indeed mount on the latest merlin firmware but it does an extensive disk check in the logs and says it has filesystem errors which it does not. The drive mounts fine on my Nexus Player, e4200 linksys router and on archlinux just fine. The disk scanning takes up to 5 minutes then it mounts fine. Any debugging or logs I'd be happy to provide. Do different Filesystems like Ext3/4 work better? I think I may partition my drive half NTFS half EXT filesystem to test and for better reliability. Btw Merlin, love your work man because of you and your firmware I'm now a lifetime ASUS fan.

Also testing PIA VPN Functionality on a 100mbit connection and only getting 20mbit. I was monitoring CPU usage and it wasnt even using more than 20% on both cores, so I believe there is another bottleneck.

Only request other than this would be for dnscrypt proxy with opendns, would love to see that.

Last edited:
Updated my RT-AC68U from Johns newest fork 374.43 to rmerlins 378.52_2 everything worked well for 24hrs all the new features are awesome RMerlin, just these few bugs started after 24hrs, pages not loading, losing access once logged out of router through the time out session, tabs not loading partially. Again cleared the Nvram again tried configuring again manually, started same issues after 10 minutes again. Cleared Nvram again and reverted back to Johns for now and everything working normally again, but will wait for your fixes to this. Oh do we really need to sign disclosure agreement? Is that a Trend Micro add in? Or Asus?
Just my observations of my router.

Thanks appreciate your hard work on this build RMerlin, looks fantastic with all the features added.

Using 378.52_2 on a RT-AC66R. Anytime I go into the admin panel, it appears the http server in the unit is dying. Anyone else experiencing that or am I the Lone Ranger out here?

Hi guys, sorry if I'm writing in the wrong thread but I've to report a bug I've found in 378.52 and 378.52_2
if I save configs then reset the router and then upload the saved configs the result is:
wifi configuration goes crazy (only 2.4) and ddns configuration doesn't load (all empty)

P.S. why exFAT isn't supported?

(RT-AC68U)

Hi guys, sorry if I'm writing in the wrong thread but I've to report a bug I've found in 378.52 and 378.52_2
if I save configs then reset the router and then upload the saved configs the result is:
wifi configuration goes crazy (only 2.4) and ddns configuration doesn't load (all empty)

You probably have leftovers from the stock firmware. Stock firmware does not properly encode OpenVPN and SSH keys/certs, this causes a corrupted config file to be created when you save it. You will need to do a factory default reset and manually reconfigure your router, or make sure to clear all the existing key/certs in your current configuration.

P.S. why exFAT isn't supported?

Because it's yet another proprietary, closed-source filesystem by Microsoft, that requires people to pay them a license fee for the right to use it. And because of this, almost nobody uses exFat except for Microsoft themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT#Restrictive_licensing_and_software_patents

You probably have leftovers from the stock firmware. Stock firmware does not properly encode OpenVPN and SSH keys/certs, this causes a corrupted config file to be created when you save it. You will need to do a factory default reset and manually reconfigure your router, or make sure to clear all the existing key/certs in your current configuration.
(I was running 378.50 not the stock fw, I'm using your fw since 2014 ;) )
I tryed:
reset --> reconfig manually (with the necessary reboot) --> save
but also:
reset --> reflash (also with fw restoration tool) --> reset --> reconfig --> save
I reset before and after every update you release ;)
So what can I do?

Thanks for the support

(I was running 378.50 not the stock fw, I'm using your fw since 2014 ;) )
I tryed:
reset --> reconfig manually (with the necessary reboot) --> save
but also:
reset --> reflash (also with fw restoration tool) --> reset --> reconfig --> save
I reset before and after every update you release ;)
So what can I do?

Dunno, I'm not at home to do any tests right now, but I didn't have any problem in the past when switching between stored config files on my development device. The only way to debug this would be to insert a lot of debug code in the nvram code, and hook up a serial cable to a router to observe the debug output as the config gets restored.

For some reason, Asus (or Broadcom) encodes the stored config with a random salt value. That salting process is poorly designed, and will corrupt any config file that contains a character that's below a certain ASCII value - that includes carriage returns and linefeeds.

ok, thank anyway
I'll do other tests

You would have to do a text export of your config (with "nvram show") and look for any unusual characters in there, such as extra linefeeds, carriage returns, etc... (see my updated response in post #351).

Hello Merlin,

I am new to Merlin's Firmware because I bought an ASUS RT-AC66U recently to replace my old, slow! but functional Linksys WRT54GS v4.

After playing around a lot with both the original firmware and various versions of your work, I installed the latest Firmware 378.52_2.

So far everything is working fine, however, I found two things:

1. Possibly a minor (cosmetic?) glitch: in the main screen (Network Map) the registered DDNS domain-name is no longer showed with the Internet Status.
In previous versions it did show the registered name (I used the ASUS way XXXXXXXX.asuscomm.com), but now it just shows "GO" like when it is not yet registered.
The registration DOES work however, it seems just a visual thing.
I use the DDNS in combination with DHCP reservation and port-forwarding to access our webcam remotely: http://macisvenda.asuscomm.com:8899/snapshot.cgi?user=visitor&pwd=visitor

2. I use a (Chinese) Pipo M6 Pro running KitKat 4.4.2. This Android device had a perfect 2.4Ghz 54Gb connection when I used my old Linksys WRT54G.
But now, using the 2.4Ghz network set to everything AUTO it does connect , but after a short (random) time, it no longer will open webpages, a generic Time-Out message is shown in the browser. (I tested with Chrome, Firefox, Stock, ..)

Funny thing: if I run a 'Ping' to the same website, the ping will continue to run without any delay or dropout?
Any of my other devices does work perfect when I connect them to the 2.4GHz wifi.
I was thinking of a DNS fault, (or even EDNS) , I tried many different DNS-servers (my ISP, Google, etc)
Now I think it has to do with the Wifi getting "out-of-sync", it just will not work at higher speeds. (N-speeds are out of the question)

My workaround for now is to set the 2.4GHz to 'Legacy at 20MHz', this way this tablet seems to be able to maintain a functional web-browser.
My other devices use mainly the 5Ghz, or a wired connection.

However, I think this maybe an ASUS thing, because the exact same behavior is shown with different versions of the Stock ASUS firmware.

Thanks for you work,

Un saludo from Spain,

Satbeginner

Hi Merlin,

Forget this, this DDNS-thing happens only on my WIN8.1 64 machine using Firefox.
When I do this on my old, trustworthy XP-Pro, all is OK.
Maybe it is related to some of the HTML-code inside the router, but certainly not important?

I come back on the 'cosmetic glitch' I mentioned earlier, in not showing the DDNS-name in the "Network Map" screen.

If log-in fresh in the router, the DDNS-name is shown.
However, now I click on "Administration", and -to have a look at the temperatures- I click on "Performance tuning" .

When I now click on "Network Map" to go back to the main screen, the "DDNS: GO" is shown, instead of the real DDNS-name.

P.S. Is it within your scope of enhancing the firmware to move the temperature graph to the "Network Map" screen under "System Status", "Status-TAB" with the "CPU%" and "RAM-usage"?
It just seems logic to me.

Un saludo,

Satbeginner

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

I come back on the 'cosmetic glitch' I mentioned earlier, in not showing the DDNS-name in the "Network Map" screen.

If log-in fresh in the router, the DDNS-name is shown.
However, now I click on "Administration", and -to have a look at the temperatures- I click on "Performance tuning" .

When I now click on "Network Map" to go back to the main screen, the "DDNS: GO" is shown, instead of the real DDNS-name.

No matter how much I try, I still can't reproduce this, and haven't had any other report of it either. So I suspect this is either a caching problem with your browser, or for some reason your WAN is highly unstable.

P.S. Is it within your scope of enhancing the firmware to move the temperature graph to the "Network Map" screen under "System Status", "Status-TAB" with the "CPU%" and "RAM-usage"?
It just seems logic to me.

I don't dare putting anything there in case Asus decides to eventually add something else. Also, those charts are too small, the temperature ranges vary by too many degrees between the wifi (mid-40s) and the CPU (high 80s) on some models such as the RT-AC87U, the resulting chart would be hard to read, or impossible to tell if a temperature is actually rising or dropping by 2-3 degrees.

RMerlin
I have a 2 AC68P - Setup as an AP using 378.52. I am unable to get the time set on one of the routers and the log is full of Start NTP Update messages (Approx every 30 seconds) I have reset it to factory defaults and set it up manually. The routers are configure identically so it is baffling why one works and the other not.

If I try to ping the NTP server or any website for that matter from network tools it always says bad address.
I have searched the forum for this type of error and have seen your responses to those instances but still have been able to resolve the issue.

Is there any command that I could enter to set the time manually?

Thanks for all the work you put into the firmware and support here on the Forum.

Looks like the 5.8 GHz traffic tab is missing again from the traffic monitor under the 24 hour selection. I am running 378.25_2 on my AC87R and using IE11. Cleared cache just to make sure and the tab just doesn't want to show up. It show fine in real-time though. Attaching a screen shot.

Attachments

• 5.8 GHz missioin from last 24 hours.png
    5.8 GHz missioin from last 24 hours.png
    225 KB · Views: 727
Looks like the 5.8 GHz traffic tab is missing again from the traffic monitor under the 24 hour selection. I am running 378.25_2 on my AC87R and using IE11. Cleared cache just to make sure and the tab just doesn't want to show up. It show fine in real-time though. Attaching a screen shot.

I see this occasionally on my 87U as well. It only seems to happen if I have more than one window open and display traffic analyzer data (e.g., one window in traffic analyzer looking at real-time, and another looking at 24-hours). But it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Technical limitation on the RT-AC87U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!