What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My internet dl speed seems to be cut down to around 80% with beta 2.

I have 100/100 and usually get around 94/94, now i get 94/80 (ul/dl), tried with aiprot and qos off but no difference.
Tried today and got 94/94 as usual, it was probably a temporary problem with the city fiber network or my isp. I have been thinking of upgrading to 1Gbit but 100Mbit works fine with qos (appletv, htpc, mobiles, android tabs, 3 laptops ...) and i don't like to increase cost if it is not needed :D

Those are just warnings, they do not stop the page from loading properly. Errors would be in red.
Yes, that was my point.

Not sure if it is just me, WiFi optimization was easier and less "buggier" in Beta1, something is changed in my AX88U for sure between the 2 Betas.
Hope Beta3 would (intentionally or not) resolve it, it just annoying- worked flawlessly in Beta1.

Yes, that was my point.
What VPN type are you monitoring? Each type has its own separate refresh mechanism, which will be every 1-2 secs depending on the type.

Not sure if it is just me, WiFi optimization was easier and less "buggier" in Beta1, something is changed in my AX88U for sure between the 2 Betas.
Zero change to the wireless code between Beta 1 and Beta 2.

I have just updated my GT-AX6000 to Beta2 from 386.7.2

My DDNS (Google Domains) was showing an exclamation mark
I disabled IPv6 Update in DDNS (i have native ipv6) and its working fine now for ipv4
is this a google problem or router problem?

I was having DDNS issues with NO-IP.com. Tried this and it worked right away. Thank you!

So will the AC86U be supported on .388 code? It's been several months since ASUS released a firmware update for this model.

I was having DDNS issues with NO-IP.com. Tried this and it worked right away. Thank you!
I have a slightly different setup - RT-AX88U and Asus DDNS, but I was also finding that DDNS would fail when IPv6 Native mode was enabled. (For Asus) DDNS needs to pick up the wan address on eth0, but on my setup it was only showing on br0 - you can use ifconfig br0, ifconfig eth0 to check.

More importantly, if the DDNS check fails for IPv6 it will also fail for IPv4 - hence the 'disable IPv6' solution.

Ended up creating ipv6add.sh in /jffs/addons/ddnsipv6
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10s
ip -6 address add dev eth0 $(nvram get ipv6_rtr_addr)/128
nvram set ddns_ipv6_update=1
service restart_ddns
and calling it from post-mount by adding
Code:
sh /jffs/addons/ddnsipv6/ipv6add.sh
as the last entry.

So will the AC86U be supported on .388 code? It's been several months since ASUS released a firmware update for this model.

No, AC routers will remain on 386 code and updates will be fewer from what Merlin said.

388.1 Release notes
This code base is only available for AX models, AC models will stay on the 386.x code base. Asus hasn't added any of these to their End-of-Life list as of now, so that means they will still get updates, just not as frequently. Most of these models being 5-7 years old now, having reduced support isn't unreasonable (as opposed to competitors typically completely dropping ALL support within 2-4 years). On my end, I currently don't plan to drop support for these AC models for the time being, but as with upstream updates, these older models will get less frequent updates from me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RMerlin I found that when I was resetting to defaults to figure out what was causing the HW Accel to be enabled persistently, that "Game Boost" (probably out of your control) seems to force both HW Accel and Flow Cache. The only way to back out of this setting and it's effects is to reset to defaults. Now that I have it figured out, my router is stable with both HW Accel and Flow Cache disabled.

Drop it like it's hot.

Oh lol. I have missinterpet the message. I thought Beta3 is out and I see not yet.

LOL
I missed a heartbeat

@RMerlin I found that when I was resetting to defaults to figure out what was causing the HW Accel to be enabled persistently, that "Game Boost" (probably out of your control) seems to force both HW Accel and Flow Cache. The only way to back out of this setting and it's effects is to reset to defaults. Now that I have it figured out, my router is stable with both HW Accel and Flow Cache disabled.
Can you please explain why you would disable HW Accel and Flow Cache? Doesn't it severely limit your bandwidth throughput?

Can you please explain why you would disable HW Accel and Flow Cache? Doesn't it severely limit your bandwidth throughput?
I'm not doing it electively. Flow Cache and HW Accel are disabled when using Cake. Flow Cache is disabled for all kind of reasons. Enabling AI-Protection, Wireguard and other features does this by design. My ISP gives me 175/75 which on my router isn't impeded in any way with these settings.

If HW Accel and Flow Cache are not disabled in the above circumstances the feature being enabled probably won't work right

Basically I believe people should know that enabling these features can have an unwanted effect on the routers overall bandwidth capabilities.
What my point is in the above post, is that applying some settings messes with the intended operation of some of the routers previously applied settings. For instance, in my opinion if Cake is enabled you shouldn't be able to enable something like Game Boost, without some warning. Cake disables the dpi (deep packet inspection) engine, (for the most part), so that Cake can work. To disrupt this by applying a further setting (Game Boost), that somehow conflicts with it, without some kind of warning that it will disable Cake, or otherwise interfere with its operation, is not a transparent situation for the end user. IMHO. However this is the current situation with this firmware. This particular situation won't change anytime soon as @RMerlin doesn't support Game Boost. For now just be aware.

Hello, I have 388.1_beta2 on the AXE16000 and the 388.1_beta2 on the XT 12 - I reset both and wanted to set up the Mesh WiFi again, unfortunately the AXE16000 can't find the XT12 - do you have a tip for me, thank you very much

Hello, I have 388.1_beta2 on the AXE16000 and the 388.1_beta2 on the XT 12 - I reset both and wanted to set up the Mesh WiFi again, unfortunately the AXE16000 can't find the XT12 - do you have a tip for me, thank you very much
Have you tried using stock ASUS firmware on the XT12? This has helped others.

Status
Not open for further replies.