What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be an ISP related issue - check your modem etc... I've never had issues getting the allocated speed from my ISP with any Merlin build as far as I can remember. But I run it stock without any scripts, swap or other items and run the modem in Bridge mode.
if i run speed test on speedtest.net im getting full 930/100 just on the router the speeds are no more then 370 down 100 up

if i run speed test on speedtest.net im getting full 930/100 just on the router the speeds are no more then 370 down 100 up
Sort of sounds like my issue. Under LAN/Switch Control, do you have Spaning Tree Protocol Enabled?
I've had to disable mine in what seems to have solved my funky Speedtest results and like you testing at the modem and the modem stats showed everything was fine...
Won't know for sure until I enable it again and break it but so far so good, but ~930/~930 for almost two days straight and haven't seen it drop. When it fails my download is cut by 1/2, and my upload by 1/4 at the router if it finishes. At the desktop/laptop (wired) I get the full speed with minor packet loss. A reboot fixes it as well, until a topology change occurs and then it's back to funky results...

1681852293206.png

Why the topology change? I'll be digging into that tonight/tomorrow...

Sort of sounds like my issue. Under LAN/Switch Control, do you have Spaning Tree Protocol Enabled?
I've had to disable mine in what seems to have solved my funky Speedtest results and like you testing at the modem and the modem stats showed everything was fine...
Won't know for sure until I enable it again and break it but so far so good, but ~930/~930 for almost two days straight and haven't seen it drop. When it fails my download is cut by 1/2, and my upload by 1/4 at the router if it finishes. At the desktop/laptop (wired) I get the full speed with minor packet loss. A reboot fixes it as well, until a topology change occurs and then it's back to funky results...

View attachment 49428

Why the topology change? I'll be digging into that tonight/tomorrow...
FWIW - my Spanning-Tree setting is Enabled. No issues.

Minor bug, NAT TYpe (faq) redirects now to asus.com and doesn't provide any FAQs.

FWIW - my Spanning-Tree setting is Enabled. No issues.
That's why I'm testing and documenting what I'm doing. I'm not 100% sure that disabling spanning tree is the fix, and if it is the fix, is it specific to a model. Or is it that a set of configuration options causes the problems. You can't assume a speedtest typical I'm not getting my bandwidth (for many reasons) is the sole issue. For me it's been the indicator that something is off.

Just being curious if one is having funky speedtest results at the router but the modem results show full bandwidth, does disabling spanning tree fix it for whoever is having it happen.

I haven't swapped roles between my AX88u and either of my AX86u nodes, with Spanning Tree enabled to see if my issue disappears or remains if only to rule out it being tied to a specific model router. But that's definately in the cards depending how the testing/logging goes during the next day or so assuming I can get to the point where I can cause the issuse to occur on demand...

Hello guys,
In my case, I am still on the 386.8 firmware. I saw lately the possibility of ARP errors or other problems since the new GPL of 388.X versions...
So I'll wait a bit more to update my router.
With the 386.8, no problem since almost 250 days, that is 8 months. LAN/WAN/WIFI solid as a rock of Jupiter 🚀
Thanks again to Merlin and the Developers ;)
View attachment 49392
View attachment 49393
dude, i feel ya, no really. had tried both stock and 388 merlin with bad outcomes. in fact, 388.1 merlin was worse! so i stayed on 386.72 and still hesitated with 388.2 the same arp concerns but took the dive nonetheless primarily due the massive effort this guy with his team puts forward.

so while i spent several futile hours with the previous release, that time pales in comparison to what these folks must be doing. i mean just the amount of time merlin spends reading/replying to this blog is mind blowing, much less coding!

so while i truly understand your hesitancy, let's face it, you can always revert. i took one for the team as do many others. with few exceptions, it's the least we can do.

peace,

dude, i feel ya, no really. had tried both stock and 388 merlin with bad outcomes. in fact, 388.1 merlin was worse! so i stayed on 386.72 and still hesitated with 388.2 the same arp concerns but took the dive nonetheless primarily due the massive effort this guy with his team puts forward.

so while i spent several futile hours with the previous release, that time pales in comparison to what these folks must be doing. i mean just the amount of time merlin spends reading/replying to this blog is mind blowing, much less coding!

so while i truly understand your hesitancy, let's face it, you can always revert. i took one for the team as do many others. with few exceptions, it's the least we can do.

peace,
No problem, I understand perfectly the work done on this project.
It's just that the 386.8 version is for me the best, stable, reliable in every way on my AX88U and meets all my needs (in operation for 250 days !)
I think it's too early to switch to 388.X because I've seen some small problems remaining, even if they are not serious at first sight.
I will be updating the 388.X in the next few months.
Once again, thanks to all of you who help debugging the new firmwares, it's great what you do ;)

Fixed my IPv6 issue, had to HW reset the modem was what was missing. AT&T still has to push out the latest firmware for it but so far so good. Now even though I get a 10/10 or a 19/20 (need a reverse look up for 20/20) depending on what testing site I use. On the router, System Log - IPv6 Network Information, its sort of misleading - at least to me.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but first metric on that page;
1681909855925.png

Though all the addressing shows up as well as all the IPv6 clients

Both IPv6 configuration pages; connection type is Passthrough
1681910026440.png

and are for the most part setup the same;
1681910116220.png
1681910164653.png

And on the modem (BGW210-700) Service Type=native IPv6. After all the passthrough / native combinations possible on the router, this is the setup that seems to work for me being on AT&T fiber. Having to HW reset the modem to get IPv6 back, was a new one. The connection type showing as disabled vs passthrough had me going in circles for a bit. Passthrough on the Router and native on the modem didn't help either.

One last thing, even though the modem is in passthrough mode, the firewall on it is still active for IPv6. Under Advanced Firewall, turn off "Reflective ACL" if you want to have those IPv6 ping teat and the ipv6-test.com (very inconsistent results and slow until "Reflective ACL" was turned off) test sites to work not have packets dropped...

I was in router settings today just to check something, I didn't change any settings, and my 5Ghz network disappear. I reboot router and now it's working again. Anyone had that problem before ?

I was in router settings today just to check something, I didn't change any settings, and my 5Ghz network disappear. I reboot router and now it's working again. Anyone had that problem before ?

Happened to me out of the blue, in older releases, that the radio of 5Ghz would hide, without me to actually do anything.
Maybe you have been on a DFS channel and a radar detected so it falled to another channel?

My vpn is not working and this is what Im seeing in the log. Anyone knows what this means,

ovpn-client1[2142]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (fd=-1,code=22)

excuse my ignorance please ... what is XT12 ? a variant/version of the AX86U ?

noticed the firmware update hit my router, but will wait till i sort through this thread to make sure there's no anomalies that could cause a hiccup or worse

Anyone had that problem before ?

On what router?

Never seen this problem on mine. May not be the same as yours.

what is XT12 ?

Google "Asus XT12"?

Has the issue that you couldn't add nodes to the mesh been addressed in 388.2 by chance?
Yes, I just forgot to add it to the changelog.

My vpn is not working and this is what Im seeing in the log. Anyone knows what this means,

ovpn-client1[2142]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (fd=-1,code=22)
I had the same issue on my AX86U Pro. I changed the compression from disabled to LZO Adaptive which solved that error. I then decided to check with TorGuard and they had a new client .ovpn config for 2.6 OpenVPN. I loaded the new client config file and it is working great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.