What's new

Best router for my situation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

noluck4

Occasional Visitor
I live in a complex that has great broadband. I have been annoyed with my Linksys's inability to keep things running, and since my alexa stuff does not work nice with OpenWRT, it's time to get rid of it...

The needs are 2 bedrooms (the linksys fails at this).
Great for 4K streaming to 2 TV's using Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, or Vudu.
MAYBE occasional gaming from a desktop
A few phones connected
And RELIABILITY. The linksys signal quality is meh at best.

I am considering the TPLink Deco $99 system at walmart. Part of me thinks I will be happiest with this.
I can get the ASUS RT-AC66U locally for the same price.
The RT-AC68U Is only $40 more.

I think I would be happy with any of the 3. But which would I be happiest with?

The only thing I disliked about my old N66u was the gawdy software it shipped with. Is that still in existence?

I live in a complex that has great broadband. I have been annoyed with my Linksys's inability to keep things running, and since my alexa stuff does not work nice with OpenWRT, it's time to get rid of it...

The needs are 2 bedrooms (the linksys fails at this).
Great for 4K streaming to 2 TV's using Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, or Vudu.
MAYBE occasional gaming from a desktop
A few phones connected
And RELIABILITY. The linksys signal quality is meh at best.

I am considering the TPLink Deco $99 system at walmart. Part of me thinks I will be happiest with this.
The RT-AC68U Is only $40 more.

I think I would be happy with any of the 3. But which would I be happiest with?

The only thing I disliked about my old N66u was the gawdy software it shipped with. Is that still in existence?

Ignore the dress the girl shows up to the prom with. :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...and-inner-workings.36836/page-163#post-492245

The link above shows the superiority of an Asus/RMerlin marriage with the powerful scripting friends amtm brings to the table too. :)

M&M Config https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Sanitize Network https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Buy the RT-AC68U and follow the above in the links above in the order shown and you'll soon forget your old, unreliable relationship with 'L'. :)

She may not be the prettiest to look at, but boy! The things she can do. :D

There are two versions of the RT-AC66U.

The original version from 2012, which is just an "ac" version of the RT-N66U. Do not buy this! It is under-powered and obsolete.

There is another version called the RT-AC66U_B1 released in 2016. This is exactly the same as the RT-AC68U but in a slightly different case and is usually sold at a slightly lower price than the RT-AC68U.

Worth $40 over which router? If you don't use VPN then the B1 at $100 is a good deal and can handle gigabit speeds with NAT acceleration enabled. If you use VPN then go for the 86U at $180. (Current Amazon prices)

Worth $40 over which router? If you don't use VPN then the B1 at $100 is a good deal and can handle gigabit speeds with NAT acceleration enabled. If you use VPN then go for the 86U at $180. (Current Amazon prices)

Something tells me he mixed up AC68U and AC86U... he originally mentioned AC68U and that is $40 more expensive than AC66U. I don't believe AC86U can be that cheap, even now when it's on sale here in Canada, Canada Computers, $219.99 CAD

...I can get the ASUS RT-AC66U locally for the same price.
The RT-AC68U Is only $40 more...

@noluck4 - AC68U and AC86U are completely different beasts, even though they looks fairly similar (at least form factor).

The only thing I disliked about my old N66u was the gawdy software it shipped with
Not sure what you found "objectionable" but my AC68U's software was very similar to my N66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!