What's new

Buffalo NAS Permissions Error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElwoodP

New Around Here
I have a Buffalo Linkstation (LS420) connected to a Mac running Yosemite.

A few folders are suddenly inaccessible. I receive the following error when trying to access them in Finder:
The folder "folder name" can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents.

Trying to change the permissions through finder results in an error message:
The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission.

The Buffalo web admin doesn't seem to have a feature to change permissions for specific files/folders, only for the entire volume.

Could anyone give me advice on how to reset the permissions of the affected folders and what might have caused the problem?

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-16%20at%2009.06.05.png

Tried it from other devices/computers?

In my (Synology) NAS, permissions are based on user ID, not file properties.

Thanks for your reply stevech. I have tried from a different Mac and still couldn't access the folders.

I also tried setting up a new user and mount the share using those details but still nothing.

However I then thought to just turn off access restrictions for the share and mounted it as a guest (with no username or password). I now have access to the affected folders.

Thats a relief that the data is there. But I don't understand what is happening?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply stevech. I have tried from a different Mac and still couldn't access the folders.

Something has happened on the NAS side - most NAS boxes follow the Unix User/Group/World schema for file permissions, and it sounds like either the userID was dropped/lost on the NAS, or somehow got munged within the group/world context...

Contact Buffalo, and I hope you have a fairly recent/complete back up of the NAS just in case things need to be nuked/paved/rebuilt...