What's new

Comcast and N66U. Do I enable IPv6??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D2theZ

Occasional Visitor
I just got comcast and my own Moto SB6121 modem and I believe their system (based on the previous gateway I used of theirs) is IPv6 enabled. Out of the box my RT-N66U (newest FW) has it disabled. Everything is working fine but I was wondering if I had anything to gain by enabling it on the router?

And if so, what settings and stuff do I config? I am totally new to IPv6!

Comcast IPv6 on RT-66U

I just got comcast and my own Moto SB6121 modem and I believe their system (based on the previous gateway I used of theirs) is IPv6 enabled. Out of the box my RT-N66U (newest FW) has it disabled. Everything is working fine but I was wondering if I had anything to gain by enabling it on the router?

And if so, what settings and stuff do I config? I am totally new to IPv6!

I have Comcast, SB6121 modem and RT-66U with Merlin's FW 374.42. I set IPv6 connection type to "Native", Apply and then reboot. After the reboot, I had IPv6 capability.

Seems easy enough. Do I have anything to gain (performance, speed, the "it feels faster" placebo)?

Seems easy enough. Do I have anything to gain (performance, speed, the "it feels faster" placebo)?

In general, no. IPv6 deployment on the Internet is still something of a work-in-progress. At best, you will gain multiple IPs (assuming Comcast delegates a whole subnet to their customers).

Right now (in 2014), IPv6 for home customers is mostly intended to provide them with a way to start experimenting and familiarizing themselves with IPv6. It's also an occasion to test things out, and find out which applications or devices don't work properly with IPv6, in preparation for the day where ISPs will run out of IPv4s, and will start allocating IPv6 to some of their customers.

My personal recommendation is to stick with IPv4 for now unless you are willing to participate in this whole experiment.

Attachments

• ipvfox.jpg
    ipvfox.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
Does it matter rather or not I disable ipv6 firewall if I have ipv6 disabled completely on my router. I currently have the firewall for ipv6 still enabled.