What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, John. There were two weird items in the modem log- the timing on them was strange... January 1 1970! They did not correlate in the log to the correct times the reboots happened but considering the time weirdness maybe that is not surprising.

Jan 01 1970 00:00:15 6-Notice N/A Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout ;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

It's a common default time. In your case it only tells you how long it has been since the device booted up.

The modem was rebooting every 15 seconds?

Crap. I didn't see the up time on the modem. Looks like it's a router issue because the modem has been up for days. :confused: I pushed the N66U plug further into the outlet hoping that would help. I guess if the ac adapter is borked it's a pretty easy fix. :)

Anyone got a lead on a good ac adapter replacement?

Crap. I didn't see the up time on the modem. Looks like it's a router issue because the modem has been up for days. :confused: I pushed the N66U plug further into the outlet hoping that would help. I guess if the ac adapter is borked it's a pretty easy fix. :)

Anyone got a lead on a good ac adapter replacement?

Are you really sure that the router rebooted? If the modem reboots, it causes a lot of grief for the router. One of the things that I worked on quite a bit for V17 is trying to make sure everything came back up on the router after a modem reboot.. It can look a lot like a router reboot, and take quite a bit of time for everything to come back.....like 3+ minutes because of all the modem gyrations.

And for the modem....it will usually get a time update fairly early in the reboot. The first valid time after the reboot log entry is pretty close to the time of the reboot.

***EDIT***

It was the AC adapter- a new one from amazon fixed the reboots! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Came from 16E1 to 17E5 without factory reset .
Suddenly I have packet loss around 1-5% to google.com ( tested from ssh session to router ) .
Have a lot of DNS timeouts on windows computers as well .
It can be provider problems , but does someone see this problem ?

N66U , BTW

Came from 16E1 to 17E5 without factory reset .
Suddenly I have packet loss around 1-5% to google.com ( tested from ssh session to router ) .
Have a lot of DNS timeouts on windows computers as well .
It can be provider problems , but does someone see this problem ?

N66U , BTW

Ethernet or TCP/IP packet loss?

TCP/IP , Ping

I would assume an ISP problem.

You are recording packet loss with "ping"?
Are you currently saturating your internet connection? (torrents, Netflix, backups, etc)

I have the AC68U flashed with John's fork 14E1 and tried to reflash it with the latest one.
Whatever I do and flash (original Asus, John's latest fork, Merlin's latest), the router seems to ignore these flash files and keeps on going to have 14E1 installed.
After hitting the UPGRADE button it shows the percentage from 1 to 100 and at the end says COMPLETE, but then returns to the home page of the GUI.
Never seen before :(

I tried REBOOT and FACTORY RESET from the GUI..

Can someone direct me in the right direction, to get my AC68U in the mood to accept a new flash ?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Well, I had a usb powered laptop cooler hooked up to the router. After unplugging that from the router usb, no more restarts. So... should I get a new power supply anyhow? I do not know if the laptop cooler draws too much current for the n66u ac adapter to handle.

Well, I had a usb powered laptop cooler hooked up to the router. After unplugging that from the router usb, no more restarts. So... should I get a new power supply anyhow? I do not know if the laptop cooler draws too much current for the n66u ac adapter to handle.
Good call, plugged my cooler into a spare phone charger

I have the AC68U flashed with John's fork 14E1 and tried to reflash it with the latest one.
Whatever I do and flash (original Asus, John's latest fork, Merlin's latest), the router seems to ignore these flash files and keeps on going to have 14E1 installed.
After hitting the UPGRADE button it shows the percentage from 1 to 100 and at the end says COMPLETE, but then returns to the home page of the GUI.

Can someone direct me in the right direction, to get my AC68U in the mood to accept a new flash ?
Thank you.
I believe you have flash intermediate fw. Look here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v17e5.18914/page-149#post-230832

Thank you.
You should be able to go on my fork between any fork level. If you have any USB disks attached, power off the router, detach the USB disks, then reboot and try the upgrade again.

If you try to move to the later Merlin levels, then you have to use the stepping stone intermediate firmware.

Last edited:
Hi there,
I currently run on Merlin's 378.56_2 and would really like to switch over this fork.
From what I understand I have to factory reset the router first and then flash to this fork.
The question is: Should i use John's NVRAM backup/restore utility or just redo all the settings manually?
Many thanks!

Hi,
The Stepping Stone solution did the trick. It is now possible to flash whatever I want.

Thanks to Lepa71, John9527, Blinkyz and Sanna1967

Option to set MTU for native IPv6 - initially will be set to 1280 for maximum compatibility (ala Cisco equipment). You may change it up to the max 1500.
How do I determine the right value? It is set to 1500 for IPv4, so should it be the same for v6?

I really appreciate all the work Merlin and John have done. These firmwares rock!

I'm running the latest firmware from John on an RT-AC66U and I noticed the 5ghz does not have the option of "n\ac mixed". Would you consider adding this?

Thanks!

I've experienced the same thing with my N66U since day 1 irrespective of firmware version. It can be fine for weeks and weeks and then suddenly it will drop all 2.4GHz connections on a daily basis. There are a few threads about this, for example: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-n66u-2-4ghz-drops-but-clients-cant-reconnect.24534/

Seems to effect the N66U and possibly the AC66U.

Long ago I set up a cron job that restarts the wireless early each morning which helps. The only thing I've noticed is that frequently refreshing the "Wireless Log" can cause it.

Even after changing the wireless mode to Auto, after a week and a half, the problem happened again.
Can you share your script for the wireless restart?

Thanks in advance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!