What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there any settings I might have that is contributing to the poor performance?

Control Channel = tried auto and fixed (try fixed with channels 1, 6, or 11)
Unless you really have b/g devices, uncheck that box (it will limit transmission speed)
Preamble Type = auto (try short)
Enable TX Bursting = on (try off)
Enable WMM APSD = on (try off)

Also, A small change in position can also make a huge difference in signal. Try rotating the router and adjusting the antenna position. Try to raise the router up towards the ceiling as much as possible.

Is it possible to backport the SNMP v2c agent from the newer versions (noticed it on an AC68U with 378.5x) to this firmware?
That's a rather big change that I'm not inclined to tackle. What is it that is driving your question?

What version does "this firmware" refer to in your post?
I am running version 11 of this fork with IPV6 on n66u and hardware acceleration shows enabled on the tools page.

Edit: Just checked and I do have the following radvd.postconf script but don't think that would affect the hardware acceleration.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#set -v
#set -x
#
#  Router config
#  RADVD = = =  I used man pages from  https://github.com/reubenhwk/radvd
#
logger -t $0 "args ( $1 ) ( $2 ) "
#
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
#
# Check that CONFIG is not empty
if [ "$CONFIG:x" == ":x" ]
  then
#
    logger -t $0 "No config file specified, exiting "
   echo "No config file specified, exiting "
   exit 1
fi
#
# MaxRtrAdvInterval (must be no less than 4 seconds and no greater than 1800 seconds.)
# MaxRtrAdvInterval 60 seconds.(1 minute )
pc_replace "MaxRtrAdvInterval 10;" "MaxRtrAdvInterval 60;" $CONFIG
#
# MinRtrAdvInterval (no greater than 0.75 * MaxRtrAdvInterval)
# MinRtrAdvInterval 0.3 *  MaxRtrAdvInterval (18 seconds)
pc_replace "MinRtrAdvInterval 3;" "MinRtrAdvInterval 18;" $CONFIG
#
#  To advertise prefix radvd insists on /64 on interface
#
#   Check and fix mask on interface br0
# Get global network IP6 address and /mask
IP6wMASK=`ip -f inet6 addr show br0 | grep -i global | awk '{print $2}'`
if [ "$IP6wMASK:x" == ":x" ]
  then
#   No IPv6 address found
    logger -t $0 "ipv6 global network of br0 is NOT FOUND"

else
      # Then just the global network IP6 address
      IP6br0=`echo $IP6wMASK | sed sx/.*xx`

# Pick off the network mask
      IP6Mask0=`echo "$IP6wMASK"|awk '{FS = "/" }{print $2}'`

if [ "$IP6Mask0" != "64" ]
     then

# Fix up br0 ipv6 mask
        logger -t $0 "ipv6 network of br0 was $IP6wMASK "
        logger -t $0 "ipv6 delegated prefix for br0 is $IP6Mask0 "
        logger -t $0 "ipv6 network of br0 changed to  $IP6br0/64 "
        ip addr del "$IP6wMASK" scope global dev br0
        ip addr add "$IP6br0/64" scope global dev br0

#         Stash delegated prefix for other scripts to use
        nvram set ipv6_delegated_prefix_length=$IP6Mask0
     fi

fi
#
#  prefix change syntax to use global address from Interface
oldPrefix=`grep -i " prefix " $CONFIG | head -n 1`
pc_replace "$oldPrefix" " prefix ::/64" $CONFIG
#
#  AdvValidLifetime (must be larger than 2 hours) 18000 seconds (5 hours)
oldAdvValidLifetime=`grep -i " AdvValidLifetime " $CONFIG | head -n 1`
pc_replace "$oldAdvValidLifetime" " AdvValidLifetime 18000 ;" $CONFIG
#
#  AdvPreferredLifetime 14400 seconds (4 hours)
oldAdvPreferredLifetime=`grep -i " AdvPreferredLifetime " $CONFIG | head -n 1`
pc_replace "$oldAdvPreferredLifetime" "AdvPreferredLifetime 14400;" $CONFIG
#
# Fix file permissions
#
chmod 600 $CONFIG
#

with merlins 3.0.0.4.270.26b i previously used i could use ipv6 6in4 with hw acceleration.

Unless you really have b/g devices, uncheck that box (it will limit transmission speed)

Also, A small change in position can also make a huge difference in signal. Try rotating the router and adjusting the antenna position. Try to raise the router up towards the ceiling as much as possible.

Tried all of that, helped a bit, dropped to ~41 db, also tried setting bandwidth back to 20/40mhz while on ch. 1, which allowed it to drop down below -40 db every now and then, so I'll keep the settings like that.

Although like you said, I slightly directed antennas a different direction, and signal fluctuates between -36 and -50db , so I guess will have to keep trying.

Although its still weird, old G router with one tiny antenna also sometimes drops to -35db and stays below -50db, without messing with all this stuff...

On the fork code, on the Wireless > Professional page, you can see the country code and regulation revision that is set in the very bottom right corner at the end of the yellow text associated with the transmission power setting.

I dont have that on the pro page.

But I did look at the file of backup done with nvram util, and under wifi conf - pro, txpower= 80

Is that normal?

My TX effect is EU/5 limit 100mW

Is there any way to change that?, and if how [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with merlins 3.0.0.4.270.26b i previously used i could use ipv6 6in4 with hw acceleration.
That's a completely different code base. I don't have an N66 to test on, so I'll need some help to verify things. First thing, would be to load V01 of the fork, and see if it works there. If it does, then maybe there is something we can track down by trying to isolate the level where is stopped working. If it fails on V01, there is nothing I can do.

John., thanks for the tip. By the way, my shows "Set the capability for transmission power. The maximum value is 200mW and the real transmission power will be dynamically adjusted to meet regional regulations. (JP/45)" and it is currently set to 120mW . Should I change anything?

That's a rather big change that I'm not inclined to tackle. What is it that is driving your question?
Monitoring the N66U which runs this firmware. Tried snmpd in entware, crashes randomly, does not start on device reboot (although the jffs initscript is configured), and it's generally a pain to keep running.
The bundled SNMP agent in the latest Merlin builds is rock solid, though.

Monitoring the N66U which runs this firmware. Tried snmpd in entware, crashes randomly, does not start on device reboot (although the jffs initscript is configured), and it's generally a pain to keep running.
The bundled SNMP agent in the latest Merlin builds is rock solid, though.

I agree with that. I did tinker with it for a while but gave up in the end. I never could get it to run reliable either.

The bad news is that I tested ipv6 with 6in4 with this fork's version 11 and indeed hardware acceleration is disabled on the RT-N66U, but reason is not provided on the status page.

The good news is I may have found a workaround.
With Hurricane Electric tunnel broker, I did the following

On the IPv6 Configuration page:
Connection type= "Tunnel 6rd"
DHCP Option = Disable
IPv6 Prefix= <From HE tunnel details, the IPv6 routed prefix for /48 without the /48 ending>
IPv6 Prefix Length=48
IPv4 Border Router=<From HE, the Server IPv4 address>
IPv4 Router Mask Length=24
Tunnel MTU=0
Tunnel TTL=255
IPv6 DNS Server 1 <From HE, IPv6 Cashing Nameserver>
Enable Router Advertisement=Enable
Enable DHCPv6 Server=Enable

Save and reboot.
That gave me a IPv6 Lan with /56 network (which was modified to a /64 with the radvd.postconf script I posted earlier is this thread). Configuring other parts of my network to use other /64 bits of the /56 network, and I had hardware acceleration enabled on what was a 6in4 network.

For you (if you don't make use of sub-netting the /56) you could use a /64 for the IPv6 Prefix and change the IPv4 Router Mask Length to 32 as suggested on the SixXS FAQ where they say

12 = 6rd uses proto-41 as a basis, one needs to configure the manually with the tunnel prefix as a /64 and the IPv4 address of the PoP with prefix length 32.

The link to their FAQ
https://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=comparison

That leaves the question as to why ASUS disabled hardware acceleration for 6in4 but not 6rd protocol?

Except when things go wacky. :)

Dont shoot the messenger just quoting what John has said.

A factory default reset is NOT required if coming from any level of the fork or Merlin 374.42 or 374.43 code. Coming from any other level does require a factory default reset after the code is loaded.

If I want to go back to 13E1 from 14E1, do I have to do the NVRAM reset?
Thanks in advance.
No, a reset is not required, you'll just have a few bytes of nvram set for new variables that won't be used. Why do you want to go back?

No, a reset is not required, you'll just have a few bytes of nvram set for new variables that won't be used. Why do you want to go back?
I have tried 14E1 for a month or so but it appears to me that 13E1 is more stable, just in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I have tried 14E1 for a month or so but it appears to me that 13E1 is more stable, just in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

This is exactly when you should try doing a full reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. I would also add; use new ssid's as well as testing for best channels under both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!