What's new

Issues with WiFi Need to disconnect power to resolve

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kram66

Occasional Visitor
I've had a RT-AC68U for 5 years and wanted to upgrade so I purchased a RT-AX86U which I'm now using as my main gateway, I've setup my RT-AC68U as aiMesh access point which seems to work fine.

However I have a number of WiFi devices (Cameras and Weather Station and Wifi Switches) devices that lose connectivity periodically (sometimes after a few days). Rebooting the router doesn't seem to resolve it. The only way to resolve it is to pull the power.

I've got no idea why or where to start to look at a potential cause. I'm using the latest Merlin firmware for both devices.

I've had a RT-AC68U for 5 years and wanted to upgrade so I purchased a RT-AX86U which I'm now using as my main gateway, I've setup my RT-AC68U as aiMesh access point which seems to work fine.

However I have a number of WiFi devices (Cameras and Weather Station and Wifi Switches) devices that lose connectivity periodically (sometimes after a few days). Rebooting the router doesn't seem to resolve it. The only way to resolve it is to pull the power.

I've got no idea why or where to start to look at a potential cause. I'm using the latest Merlin firmware for both devices.
Latest Merlin firmware does not tell us much. As of this there is a stable version, 386.3_2 and an alpha version which is later than the stable.
You might also let us know what your use for WIFI settings. While some of us are good we are not clairvoyant.

Latest Merlin firmware does not tell us much. As of this there is a stable version, 386.3_2 and an alpha version which is later than the stable.
You might also let us know what your use for WIFI settings. While some of us are good we are not clairvoyant.
My apologies... The current firmware is 386.3_2.. The wifi settings are
2021-08-25 10_52_05-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - General.png

When you got the router and flashed it with RMerlin firmware, did you then do a full reset to factory defaults?

When you converted your old router to an AiMesh node, did you first do a full reset to factory defaults, and then, using the main router's GUI, attach it as an AiMesh node?

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

For starters, I would disable Smart Connect. I would Change the Control Channel to 1, 6, or 11 and set Channel Bandwidth to 20 MHz for the 2.4GHz band. Change the Control Channel and leave the bandwidth at 20/40/80 for the 5GHz band. For starters. The link above has more details if you need them.

Yes, I did a full reset first. Thanks I'll make the recommended changes and see how that goes..