What's new

Looking into replacing my n66u.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mistax

New Around Here
So it hasn't even been a year yet since i gotten my n66u, but with timewarner bringing maxx to my area i'm not sure if my n66u can do 300 down / 20 up anymore. Originally my n66u had no problems with 100down/5up, but with the new speeds I'm chugging behind.

Would my best bet be looking at the newer AC line?

Read the reviews on this site what your router can do and other models of Asus router.

I'm pretty sure the N66 can route up to almost 1G fibre speeds.

The charts show it being able to route over 700Mbps... With that having been said, it seems like the biggest concern would be the cable modem and the state of the coax coming into the house, but not the router. I could be wrong, but that's my two cents.

My internet service is 250Mbps down (with Rogers cable in Canada) but it ramps up to about 320 Mbps in "Speedboost" mode.

When I run speedtests connected directly to my modem (a Hitron CGN3 in Bridge mode) I can get results up to 320 Mbps. But when I run through my RT-N66U I usually get no better than 250 Mbps - but occasionally right after a router reboot I will get 320 Mbps.

So I suspect that the router, or something else in my network, could slightly be slowing down my connection.

However, it is arguable if it matters since there may not be a lot of services you use that can actually use speed much above 100 Mbps as there will be other bottlenecks that slow things down.

..biggest concern would be the cable modem and the state of the coax coming into the house, but not the router. I could be wrong, but that's my two cents.
That shouldn't matter as the coax can contain hundreds of channels - having faster speeds is just the result when you use more channels for internet vs other services like TV.

The latest cable modems can do 24 channels down at approximately 40 Mbps per channel so they can do over 900Mbps (theoretically) over coax if fully utilizing all channels - which they don't. So your coax won't be an issue and this service will likely require a modem that handles more than 4 channels - likely a 16 channel modem.

Here in Canada Rogers is using the Hitron CGN3 gateway (24x8 channels) which is a modem/router combo but you can put it in Bridge mode to shut off the router capabilities.

Try with your N66U. If you feel that it's too slow, RT-AC68U is a safe bet. Not so expensive anymore either. RT-AC66U would work fine too I guess.

Make sure your cables say cat 5e as I have seen some cables that came with the RT-N66U that were only cat 5.

Perhaps they got by Asus QA (if they have it) before router shipped.