What's new

NAS With Search Function

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corndog

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

I am looking for the best way to be able to do a full-text search on all the terabytes of stuff I have stored on my NASes. First of all, I'm wondering if there is any NAS out there that comes with this function built in. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Just copy all your files onto the NAS, and after a few days of indexing the first time, you can search for anything in there?

Ah - yes.

That's at least a start, but I believe it only indexes file names. I'm looking for file contents.

So far I've done it myself - I created a DIY NAS with a big RAID0 (four 2TB drives) and I synchronize my NAS over to this DIY box and then index it all with recoll. I tried beagle but it was very clumsy and required a lot of attention and care to keep it working.

This was also a good test for btrfs as well, and it is proving to be nice and fast and (so far) stable.

File contents index? I don't think any NAS does, except, perhaps WHS machines?

His 3rd party software apparently creates an inverted index of text files. Not sure this includes structured files like MS Word or PDF