What's new

Need New Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

urik

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I've already read quite a few articles on SNB's site and am so much more knowledgeable about wireless technology than before I read them. However, before I spend my hard-earned money on a new router, I feel that it would be wise to ask for community feedback. To be honest, it's not even the money that scares me the most about this purchase; rather, it is the time that I may lose if I end up choosing the wrong product.

That being said, my needs are pretty straightforward. I need as fast-as-possible throughput as measured in Mbps (both down and up) for two laptops, two smartphones, and an iPad that may all be operating at the same time. All of the laptops and mobile devices support wireless-N. I have a 1200 sq.ft.ranch house with a basement. Range hasn't really been a problem, though the wireless signal definitely weakens in some areas behind walls and around corners not too far from the actual router upstairs. The signal is pretty good in the basement below the router's upstairs location. What I mean by good is that my phone shows all bars being blue, not that it's super fast or anything. We are also planning on moving to an apartment within 6 months, so signal interference from other routers may become an issue, though I don't think it's an issue right now.

My current router is the Uverse 2-wire 3800HGV. I also have an old Linksys WRT54G laying around that has been flashed to dd-wrt (I don't currently use this router).

Since I have a home server, I don't need the router to have network storage or print server capabilities. Not sure about VPN, since I'm planning on using LogMeIn' Hamachi and Privoxy for browsing the web from my server when on public wifi. Would a router-based VPN provide a benefit over my planned solution?

I was just going to get the Apple Airport Extreme based on its review on Anandtech that I recently read, until I came across this site. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
I have the Amped Wireless R20000G and it's a fantastic router. I do tons of streaming and gaming and it's been excellent with it. we do both of those wirelelessly and the coverage is AWESOME. I can stream videos from 150 ft away thru 5 walls with no problems.

This site did the R10000G review and it did really good with throughput tests and stuff too!!

The R20000G adds dual band a usb sharing.

I highly recommend it. It's really easy to setup as well.

I have the Amped Wireless R20000G and it's a fantastic router. I do tons of streaming and gaming and it's been excellent with it. we do both of those wirelelessly and the coverage is AWESOME. I can stream videos from 150 ft away thru 5 walls with no problems.

This site did the R10000G review and it did really good with throughput tests and stuff too!!

The R20000G adds dual band a usb sharing.

I highly recommend it. It's really easy to setup as well.

Would you take it over the Netgear N900? Laptopmag said the Netgear was a bit faster.

Yes, due to the longer range (which also means you enjoy the faster speed further away) and ability to upgrade the antennas for even further coverage.

Yes, due to the longer range (which also means you enjoy the faster speed further away) and ability to upgrade the antennas for even further coverage.

Perhaps someone can recommend a good budget and mid-price pick also? Just so that I can narrow this choice down to a few good options. I'm not convinced that the main thing missing from my scenario is a router with kick-butt range. I mean, I live in a small 1-story ranch house with a basement and am planning on moving into an even smaller 2/3-bedroom apartment. I just want the best throughput/least interference/strongest signal for my money.

Thanks!

The Airport Extreme and the Amped Wireless have been the two routers that have worked best for me over the past few years. The Airport Extreme has been exceptionally solid for me; high throughput, never a disconnection. And the Amped Wireless people have unparalleled customer service.

For me, both of these routers have far outperformed high-end ASUS, Netgear, Cisco-Linksys, DLink and WD routers.

I've been really happy with my Airport Extreme, but not everyone likes the lack of granular control.

You might also look at Almond. I don't have one, but folks seem to like them a lot. Looks like Almond+ will also be hackable out of the box, but they're saying September ship which might not meet your timeline.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!