What's new

Need to upgrade and my purchase is based on your advice for my use case.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I actually looked at the Mikrotik RB/750 Mini-Router and the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.
Not sure of the differences. I hear the Mikrotik has more robust software but steep learning curve but I am up for the challenge if that is a good choice. I don't see specs posted anywhere comparing a cisco or mikrotik or ubiquiti or linksys so I could use some tips.

I actually looked at the Mikrotik RB/750 Mini-Router and the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X.
Not sure of the differences. I hear the Mikrotik has more robust software but steep learning curve but I am up for the challenge if that is a good choice. I don't see specs posted anywhere comparing a cisco or mikrotik or ubiquiti or linksys so I could use some tips.

What differences (features) do you need? After that is fulfilled, I would get the most inexpensive. For a standard network, almost anything will work.

Know what you want/need.

what i mean is that it doesnt have to be mikrotik but there are SFP modules for those one off connections. Finding a good modem isnt always easy and if you have a good router that has SFP it can double as a modem.

Depending on what you are trying to do the order of difficulty is ubiquiti < mikrotik < ubiquiti as a linux server. To properly use ubiquiti edgerouter you have to treat it as a linux server as the GUI is very lacking. So ubiquiti can be easier or more difficult than mikrotik depending on what you're trying to do. What i do like about mikrotik is that you dont have restrictions on your configs like you would on ubiquiti so you could have multiple layer 3 networks, put them all in address lists under the same name and you wont need anymore firewall rules than with just 1 LAN. It also lets you assign a DHCP client to the same port with static IP addresses so your WAN and LAN port can actually be the same. Ubiquiti wont let you do this.

I do run squid on my edgerouter pro, i give as many tasks as i can to my CCR and what my CCR cant do i give to the edgerouter in the form of a linux server. Saves electricity this way so getting both could be an option. Using a raspberry pi 2 as a server can help and it makes for a good driverless print and scan server aside from the other things is run on it and i power it from the usb port of my edgerouter.

if you use fibre optics than you can use a router with SFP. I recently spotted GPON SFP module on mikrotik's website for those that use GPON. QoS on a configurable router is very effective.

Most FTTH solutions in the US have a media converter already installed. The handoff is copper, not fiber.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!