What's new

New 2 drive Synology coming soon DS-209+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The press release from Synology says the DS209+ is "shipping now". I am curious where did the December date came from? I guess I can wait ... :)

The press release from Synology says the DS209+ is "shipping now". I am curious where did the December date came from? I guess I can wait ... :)
The December date came direct from Synology. (Actually, they said "end of November" and experience tells me to pad that a bit.)

There is $190 difference between the CS407 and the DS408 at newegg.com, The hardware difference between DS207+ and the DS209+ is essentially the same as the difference between the CS407 and the DS408. The DS207+ at newegg.com is 329.99, which would put the DS209+ at $519.99. I expect the price will be there or a little higher, $539.99 if the list euro price is 399.

There is $190 difference between the CS407 and the DS408 at newegg.com, The hardware difference between DS207+ and the DS209+ is essentially the same as the difference between the CS407 and the DS408. The DS207+ at newegg.com is 329.99, which would put the DS209+ at $519.99. I expect the price will be there or a little higher, $539.99 if the list euro price is 399.
I have all the hardware to make a screaming ESX server, yet I'm opting for a small NAS in order to save on electricity.

At $519 for the NAS, that equates to 200 years worth of operational costs for my free server. Sigh.

I'm hoping this motiviates Netgear to offer a higher performance Duo and NV+. The Readynas series IMO is the most stable and reliable for real world long term use. While I also like Synology, their boxes will rarely not run for months at a time without the need to reboot for a quirk or crash.

I guess it depends on what you're doing. I have a DS207+ and a DS107+ and neither have ever crashed, on for months.

Thats great to know. I don't use any of these NAS boxes for their streaming services or addon services like bittorrent, etc.

If Synology can make a conventional file server that is as robust as a Readynas then I'd definitely consider a 209+ if it tests well.

I guess it depends on what you're doing. I have a DS207+ and a DS107+ and neither have ever crashed, on for months.

Last edited:
NS209+ ouahou!

Yesterday I installed a DS209+ received last week.
Performance are impressive >32 kB/s without Jumbo Frame for various kind and size of files.

Ready in 15 minutes with a Raid 1 built with 2 Samsung spinpoint 1TB + 2 hours for the synchronisation of Raid.

The Web GUI of DSM 2.0 is a real pleasure.

Next step, play with a bootstrap and ipkg...

Rhodan