What's new

New firmware - RT-ac68u - Version 3.0.0.4.374.454

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Done the complete reset after flashing firmware 454. Reconfigured my AC68U afterwards. Confirmed that that router will continuously reboot itself when I enable the HW acceleration. With the HW acceleration disabled, everything works fine......
I am running 454 with hardware acceleration enabled. No problems here, at least so far.

qos and hardware acceleration are not compatible together.. QoS disables HW acceleration...

Maybe this will help someone else. After resetting my router the GUI went super slow to respond in IE and Firefox. I would go to the IP and it would just spin until I turned off the router then the login screen would come up. If I left it for a long time alone the login would come up but was painfully slow. I even reverted it back to the original .205 firmware and still super slow to respond.

Before you think it was my computer I tried it wired and wireless on my desktop and laptop. Used 2 different browsers. Reset it dozens of times and was about ready to smash with hammer. Restored several different versions of firmware and still was slow.

The first time I accessed it with my iphone and went to the GUI in safari poof I was able to log in with IE and Firefox. I messed with it for hours and swore I was going to have to RMA the router.

Maybe this will help someone else. After resetting my router the GUI went super slow to respond in IE and Firefox. I would go to the IP and it would just spin until I turned off the router then the login screen would come up. If I left it for a long time alone the login would come up but was painfully slow. I even reverted it back to the original .205 firmware and still super slow to respond.

Are you running ESET's securioty software? Latest version has a known compatibility issue with the router's webui.

Are you running ESET's securioty software? Latest version has a known compatibility issue with the router's webui.

No I use bitdefender and have never had an issue connecting before. Just strange when I connected with my phone the browsers both started working.

No I use bitdefender and have never had an issue connecting before. Just strange when I connected with my phone the browsers both started working.

I had the same problem but with nod 32 v7 antivirus. Upon Merlin's suggestion I googled a bit and found complaints for at least one additional antivirus other than eset. The check I had to disable was the protocol verification in my router address. Chanches there are that in Asus Web interface implementation there's something that is incompatible with that feature of some of the latest antiviruses. I'd try to disable the antivirus for a while to check if this is the cause.

I had the same problem but with nod 32 v7 antivirus. Upon Merlin's suggestion I googled a bit and found complaints for at least one additional antivirus other than eset. The check I had to disable was the protocol verification in my router address. Chanches there are that in Asus Web interface implementation there's something that is incompatible with that feature of some of the latest antiviruses. I'd try to disable the antivirus for a while to check if this is the cause.

I have 4 66u's at work and a 66u and 68u at home. I have never had a problem to date like that with any of them. It was just odd that with that beta firmware it upset the apple cart that bad with the NVRAM reset. Was fine till the reset. Then only allowed me regular access after I entered the web interface with my iphone. Would figure the AV still would have an issue no matter what. I will try a disable of AV next time it happens see if it fixes the issue as well as if I can recreate the iphone trick as well.

I have two Foscam 2.4GHz cameras and a wireless 2.4 GHz printer as well and I'm experiencing the same issue. From a router reboot the cameras and printer work great but after time the connection drops off and they will not reconnect until another router reboot. With this .454, the connection time seems to be longer but they still drop eventually.

Follow up on this....its now been three days and my Foscam cameras are still working. I may have been to early to judge .454 because it seems to be working great now.

Did the firmware upgrade on my AC68U 2 days ago. Factory reset as i came from the latest merlins build. So far only one issue.

Port forwarding udp only doesn't work.
If I select "both" it seems to work fine.

I've got all my wifi devices on 5ghz

Samsung I9505
Samsung I9300
Samsung ES8000
HP elite pro 630p

Pretty happy with it so far.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

anyone getting improved 2.4Ghz performance with 454?

My AC56U gets like 1-2mbps even after reset and using only 20MHz bandwidth. Please throw some ideas on how I can fix this...I dont see the implicit beamforming...must be AC68U only

thinking of returning it if even this upcoming FW can't fix the problem...If I pay $150 router I expect the most basic wireless to be working flawlessly.

Last edited:
I had reset my AC68U several times after the update to firmware 454 due to AC68U hanging with switch hardware acceleration enabled. Most of you had not encountered this issue with your AC68U with firmware 454.

I had discovered that AC68U will hang after I setup a IPv6 Tunnel (6in4) via tunnelbrokers.net with hardware acceleration enabled. If I disable hardware acceleration, everything works fine.

I further discover that on my setup, with WAN DoS protection enabled, the AC68U UI will be very sluggish. If WAN DoS protection is disabled (default), than the UI is snappy. This is with Chrome browser.

Wait for Upgrade?

I planned to upgrade to 454, but seeing that Asus pulled it for I assume improvments, should I wait for that, or use one of the links mentioned earlier to find it? Any idea what they are "fixing"? Thank you

I planned to upgrade to 454, but seeing that Asus pulled it for I assume improvments, should I wait for that, or use one of the links mentioned earlier to find it? Any idea what they are "fixing"? Thank you

I would wait - I experienced the same slow down discussed here over both bands.

I've since rolled back and haven't had the same issues.

I think earlier Asusnet posted that 454 has compatibility issues with some wireless adapters, so that's probably the main thing. But other people have reported the usual "x doesn't work with hardware acceleration" issues that the past few firmwares have been getting, so maybe some of those will get resolved too.

The question of whether you should wait depends on what features you use and if improving 2.4ghz performance is an urgent thing for you (and worth the risk of some clients not working because of the compatibility thing). If trying new firmwares isn't something you do for fun, I'd probably hold off. :p

I would wait - I experienced the same slow down discussed here over both bands.

I've since rolled back and haven't had the same issues.

I have not experienced any slow downs on the 2.4 (haven't used 5ghz much on 454.) and I am at almost a week. I do have a 66u setup as a repeater so not sure if that changes something. Prior versions I would have to reset every couple days.

The next beta should address some of the issues related to HW acceleration, amongst other things.

454 firmware has been rock-solid for me. It should have been the first version out the door for this device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!