What's new

Nexenta - help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Trying out Nexenta.org's software.
Mini-ITX (Intel motherboard, old original Atom CPU).
Hardware runs Win 7 fine. And has run Ubuntu.

I made a CD from the current Nexenta, booted/installed on a disk other than the usual Windows Disk (which is disconnected).
When I boot Nexenta - it comes up OK, and dumps me into a shell console login. (I kind of expected an Xwindows/GUI). But anyway...
I login as root. I see file systems, df command works.

The LAN interface NIC isn't working.
During booting, the display says "rge0 as" and nothing to the right of "as".
This is the mobo NIC (10/100).
I put in a gigE NIC (Intel chipset, PCI).
That too says "e1000g0 as"

I opted for DHCP mode during the install. At that time, the gigE was in place and the mobo NIC was disabled in the BIOS.

My router shows no DHCP assignment from the Nexenta comptuter.
Both of those NICs work OK under Win7.

Using "ifconfig" was fresh in my mind about 25 years ago. But not now. And esp. not with the -? help scrolling off the console display.

Any suggestions?

NexentaStor does not have a local GUI, it does use a user-friendly console system though, called Nexenta Management Console (NMC). Typing "help" will bring up the list of commands available. These commands can be used to show a cursor-navigable list of available options, you just navigate through the command menus until you get to the one you want. More info: http://www.nexenta.com/corp/content/view/246/119/

I would have thought if any NIC would work it would be an Intel one. What is the model number? The Nexenta Wiki says that there is a supported Intel NIC: http://nexenta.org/projects/site/wiki/About_suggested_NAS_SAN_Hardware

Try setting it to a static IP.

Pipe to the "more" command to stop output scrolling off screen: "ifconfig | more"

Trying out Nexenta.org's software.
Mini-ITX (Intel motherboard, old original Atom CPU).
Hardware runs Win 7 fine. And has run Ubuntu.

I made a CD from the current Nexenta, booted/installed on a disk other than the usual Windows Disk (which is disconnected).
When I boot Nexenta - it comes up OK, and dumps me into a shell console login. (I kind of expected an Xwindows/GUI). But anyway...
I login as root. I see file systems, df command works.

The LAN interface NIC isn't working.
During booting, the display says "rge0 as" and nothing to the right of "as".
This is the mobo NIC (10/100).
I put in a gigE NIC (Intel chipset, PCI).
That too says "e1000g0 as"

I opted for DHCP mode during the install. At that time, the gigE was in place and the mobo NIC was disabled in the BIOS.

My router shows no DHCP assignment from the Nexenta comptuter.
Both of those NICs work OK under Win7.

Using "ifconfig" was fresh in my mind about 25 years ago. But not now. And esp. not with the -? help scrolling off the console display.

Any suggestions?

We are talking NexentaStor, not Nexenta right?

NexentaStor will definitely support the Intel NIC, do you know what adapters it has recognized? ( take a look at this )

sudo svcadm enable nwam

turns on network automagic, should get your network running

I moved on to FreeNAS - same hardware on my end as I tried above. Works fine, BSD works with the NICs, but OpenSolaris didn't.

FreeNAS - interesting. Though I'm a geek/engineer, FreeNAS for use at home will require more fiddling and learning time than I want to devote. I guess that's what you get for the price premium from QNAP/Synology - their UI.

I moved on to FreeNAS - same hardware on my end as I tried above. Works fine, BSD works with the NICs, but OpenSolaris didn't.

FreeNAS - interesting. Though I'm a geek/engineer, FreeNAS for use at home will require more fiddling and learning time than I want to devote. I guess that's what you get for the price premium from QNAP/Synology - their UI.

Whats not working?