What's new

[Official] RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello everyone.

I've been on firmware 3.0.0.4.378_9460 for: Uptime 17 days 19 hours 44 minute(s) 22 seconds so far and I have to say it is the most stable firmware for me so far on my two ASUS RT-AC87U's. One running in Wireless router mode and the second in Access Point(AP) mode. I have the Adaptive QOS enabled, Traffic Analyzer, and all the Network Protection stuff enabled. Priority mode is set to Game. Everything is working great and I've had no issues. The battery on my Android Galaxy S6 when on 5GHz is lasting much longer now seems to be averaging using 4% battery per hour depending on what I'm doing. Much better than with earlier versions where my battery would be completely drained in about 4-6 hours.

Speeds are still fine and there have been no disconnects that I've noticed. IP TV still running well on my Apple TV and Shaw Free Range app on my phone.

My System log is clean for the most part but I see these entries sometimes:

Jan 15 21:22:40 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:23:40 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:24:10 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:26:10 alert mail: AiProtection send mail
Jan 15 21:26:40 alert mail: AiProtection send mail

Infected Devices prevention and blocking is enabled but it's not configured to email an alert.

and this:

Jan 7 07:35:39 miniupnpd[713]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 7 07:37:40 miniupnpd[713]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 7 07:38:39 miniupnpd[713]: upnp_event_recv: recv(): Connection reset by peer

Not sure what this is.

and this:

Jan 4 02:21:37 miniupnpd[713]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.11.118:1030
Jan 4 02:21:37 miniupnpd[713]: Unknown udp packet received from 192.168.11.118:1030

This IP is associated with my Samsung CLX-3175 printer. Not sure what is happening here as I don't use the printer often so it was idle at this time.

Thanks Asus!

Thank god man thought i was the only one having these errors.I get exactly the same messages.Sometimes the ip is from my NAS and sometimes from my tablet.

It´s been pretty slow/poor with ASUS response lately regarding new firmwares.
I hope they are still working on them :)

Hi Embattle.

Are you using Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460? The battery drain fix/band aid they have already implemented has dramatically improved for my Galaxy S6 Android phones on 5GHz.

Since there has been very little comments from RT-AC87U users, perhaps Asus feels that their work is done?

Hi Embattle.

Are you using Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9460? The battery drain fix/band aid they have already implemented has dramatically improved for my Galaxy S6 Android phones on 5GHz.

Since there has been very little comments from RT-AC87U users, perhaps Asus feels that their work is done?
Done? The router is junk. I wish i never bought mine. 5 gig is useless. 2.4 seems ok. If they don't fix it or recall it this will be my first and last asus router.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Hi Goofie Newfie.

If you are having problems, care to post what Firmware version you are using and what issues you are seeing with some examples?

Done? The router is junk. I wish i never bought mine. 5 gig is useless. 2.4 seems ok. If they don't fix it or recall it this will be my first and last asus router.

Both Netgear and Linksys also released a router based on that same chipset as the RT-AC87U, and gave up on fixing it months ago. Netgear simply released a V2 hardware revision, leaving V1 owners in the dust. Guess that's two more brands for you to avoid then...

Bottom line is, Quantenna are the ones responsible for this mess. Neither Asus, Netgear or Linksys can fix it - only Quantenna can. And so far, they've been failing pretty hard at fixing it, regardless of which manufacturer chose to use their lab-experiment-gone-wrong that the QSR1000 turned out to me.

If I were one of those manufacturers who released a product based on that chip, I would talk to my lawyers to consider what my options are.

Netgear simply released a V2 hardware revision, leaving V1 owners in the dust. Guess that's two more brands for you to avoid then...
Netgear have not guaranty ?
If 5GHz band not work correctly then rma. I wait for some fixes and if Asus not fix this in next official fw then i will send my two 87u to rma and want a money back.

Both Netgear and Linksys also released a router based on that same chipset as the RT-AC87U, and gave up on fixing it months ago. Netgear simply released a V2 hardware revision, leaving V1 owners in the dust. Guess that's two more brands for you to avoid then...

Bottom line is, Quantenna are the ones responsible for this mess. Neither Asus, Netgear or Linksys can fix it - only Quantenna can. And so far, they've been failing pretty hard at fixing it, regardless of which manufacturer chose to use their lab-experiment-gone-wrong that the QSR1000 turned out to me.

If I were one of those manufacturers who released a product based on that chip, I would talk to my lawyers to consider what my options are.

True but the Asus brand is in front of Quantenna.Consumers doesnt care who makes the chipset.In a perfect world they would come out and admit that "we made a mistake" and take back the routers giving people a chance to upgrade on a newer model of their router products that doesnt have these problems.They released an unfinished product with a chance to get a whole new option (MU-MIMO) without extended tests on wifi module if its working right.You get better chances to win lottery.My AC87U is still in warranty which can really easy make me think rma the router in a different way.For all european consumers that doesnt wanna wait till the end of their warranty can always send a complaint letter to European Consumer Protection page.

I agree with you.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G920F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Netgear have not guaranty ?
If 5GHz band not work correctly then rma. I wait for some fixes and if Asus not fix this in next official fw then i will send my two 87u to rma and want a money back.

RMA for what, exactly? Asus would just send back the same model of router with the same inherent issues. It would take a recall - something which would cost Asus a lot of money to do, and therefore is unlikely - for consumers to see replacements with different models.

for nothing. Everything work perfect, and everyone are happy.

First off. Hope you are doing better.
Second. Your firmware is the only one I've had success with on the 87u. Asus firmwares seem like beta software which would be another reason for me to avoid them.
Third. If the oem radio in my honda has issues it's up to honda to fix it not me going after alpine. If the chipset in a laptop has issues is up to Dell Hp etc to fix it. Whether it means going the lawyer route and going after their supplier or not is their responsibility not the consumer. If asus wants to base their reputation and how they handle this issue based on how other brands have. ..not good. Thankfully they are still trying or making us believe they are.
Bottom line is. It's been out long enough. It should be fixed. It is not so what are they going to ? Give up and screw customers like netgear or linksys? or step up and offer some sort of upgrade or swap.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

My 87u keeps heating up and just stops working after a few days. I have to keep it turned off overnight or a few days to make it work again.

Asus should own up to the AC87U mess and offer upgrade or swap to AC88U. Big thumbs down to Asus management.:mad:

Hi Embattle.

Not yet, the main reason being is it didn't state about a fix for battery drain being included and I've stopped putting every new firmware on my router when it appears to be working fairly well for example on .9313 my router uptime is nearly 47 days now.

Not yet, the main reason being is it didn't state about a fix for battery drain being included and I've stopped putting every new firmware on my router when it appears to be working fairly well for example on .9313 my router uptime is nearly 47 days now.

That is a bad habit to acquire. :)

Uptime is nice, but a stable and current firmware is always better. If it wasn't, no one would have worked so hard on it. ;)

Most companies don't list every fix that a new firmware, bios or os patch does. To do so would embarrass a lot of them (eastern based) and also slow down development to snails pace as documenting is just as much work as bug fixing is.

That is a bad habit to acquire. :)

Uptime is nice, but a stable and current firmware is always better. If it wasn't, no one would have worked so hard on it. ;)

Most companies don't list every fix that a new firmware, bios or os patch does. To do so would embarrass a lot of them (eastern based) and also slow down development to snails pace as documenting is just as much work as bug fixing is.

I suspect a lot of people have grown a bit cautious about flashing new firmware when their current versions are working for them - especially early on in the RT-AC87U's lifecycle, regressions were common in newer firmwares which only degraded, not enhanced their experiences with the router.

With this particular router, I'm of a similar mind - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!