What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone tried the Padavan's 079 firmware
that compiled by MercuryV?

here, as mentioned previously : http://yadi.sk/d/bT5QMr0TGiWBu

I have tried the 079 build by Padavan, seems buggy.
Back to 075, bad performance, slow.
Then I tried the MercuryV's 079-140214-aa2aa4 firmware.
Strange, I got better performance. Best so far.

Not sure what's the difference / any changes
between Padavan's original build.

Can one look at MercuryV's source code before he compiles it? Not that I can really read source code, but it's nice to have so others can look through it to find if there is any malicious code inserted.

Ya....What is goofy anyways....[Stand by me]...lol
Curious to know the difference between Padavan and Mercuryv....cause the hyperlink takes you to a site and it's got Padavans name on the right hand side but says owner is Victor M?

Never knew there is another build based on padavan's fw. Build logs is great if anyone has one. Or just improvement points would be awesome! =)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

+1 would be great if someone check on it and let us know the difference.

and there's another update, 079-140316-71af14 by him posted today.

Hi, I have the latest Padavan fw running on my Asus RT-N65U and the only issue I seem to have is that some packages are lost. Normally it wouldn't be noticeable when surfing the web but I played games and I got lag spikes each time a package was lost, I was with cmd opened and run a ping on www.google.com just to see if there is an issue with the router or the game server, I noticed that each time I had a lag in game 1 package was lost , it became quickly obvious and frustrating that the rooter is at fault not the game servers.
With the latest fw from Asus I have no issues of this kind as the ratio of lost packages is almost nonexistent (from 32000 packages I had 5 lost ones on stock Asus fw whereas with Padavan I had 5 packages lost from about 3300 sent ones).
The issue with the stock fw is that it doesn't work at gigabit speed with a PPPOE connection on cable, the download speed on torrents is about 20-21 MB while the speed with Padavan is 55-58 MB.

PS: Does anyone know how to set up a DLNA media server, I can't seem to make the necessary changes so my smart tv can detect the asus media server?

Has anyone tried the Padavan's 079 firmware
that compiled by MercuryV?

here, as mentioned previously : http://yadi.sk/d/bT5QMr0TGiWBu

I have tried the 079 build by Padavan, seems buggy.
Back to 075, bad performance, slow.
Then I tried the MercuryV's 079-140214-aa2aa4 firmware.
Strange, I got better performance. Best so far.

Not sure what's the difference / any changes
between Padavan's original build.

I agree - .79 is very buggy, and I am having a lot of issues even with .75
This is the first time I hear about MercuryV - did any one try it ever before?
is there any change log?

thanks...

It's kinda frustrating when using Asus router...

Previously, I was unable to change 2Ghz wifi channel due to hardware issue.
Then when the device is back (after 1 month, they replaced a new one) ,
the firmware keep giving me issue now.

Stock firmware is even buggy than Padavan's.
With the latest stock firmware of 3.0.0.4.374.4561,
I'm unable to apply the IPTV setting, which required by ISP,
APPLY button not work and 5Ghz wifi is slow.

With Padavan's firmware, already mentioned as above.

With MercuryV's firmware, which I said "better performance, best so far",
but only when it works normally. It's giving me issue now with the IPv6.
Don't know why it keeps stop working... especially when rebooted. :confused:

p/s:

another Asus router (bought it while awaiting rt-n56u RMA) I'm having issue with is rt-n16,
with the latest / older stock firmware, buggy. With latest firmware of Asus Merlin's,
can't get ipv6 to work, even the DDNS is synced correctly and others configuration checked.

Last edited:
Set up a DLNA media server

PS: Does anyone know how to set up a DLNA media server, I can't seem to make the necessary changes so my smart tv can detect the asus media server?

If all media path are right. Maybe u need to hard wire the router to your tv instead of using wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to connect the TV to the network with a cable but that is just to see if it works. Most probably I haven't set up the paths right but I am not really sure how to set them right. I tried following the tutorial from code.google with no luck, either i'm missing something or I need to install additional staff on my hdd. Another strange thing is that I can't access the Web Status hyperlink interface for the DLNA.

Driven by curiousity, I updated my N56U from .75 to this one:
078-140126-714e45

So far very limited testing, but at least it did not lock up overnight...

Sky1111, can you give a link to the download page? Ty.

It's just a mater of turning on UPnP/DLNA on in the router and setting it to index your media files (music, photos, videos).

I think where most people have issues is trying to figure out path name of their HD attached to the router. The easiest way is to take a look at the "Network Neighborhood Share" tab of the "USB Application" page.

Take a look at the "Network Neighborhood Share" tab and expand the tree of the drives.

Example:
RT-N65U
+ Kingston DT Micro
|___14GB
|______misc
+ WD My Passport 0748
|___2TB
|______DLNA

Under the DLNA folder is where I keep my stuff in the folders named 'music', 'pics', 'video'.

So under the UPnP/DLNA settings it looks like this:
A,/media/2TB/DLNA/music
V,/media/2TB/DLNA/video
P,/media/2TB/DLNA/pics

Things to keep in mind:
  • All folder names are case sensitive.
  • You have to preface the name of the drive with '/media/'
  • The letters in front of the paths above stand for A=audio, V=video, P=Pictures
  • The above tree structure is just an example with 2 drives connected to the router, your setup will be different.

If your smart TV is having a difficult time seeing things, you can also use Windows Media Player to verify that things are setup properly (the router will show up under "other libraries").

I'm not positive of the version I have installed currently at home (think late last year I installed it), but have any of the newer versions resolved the issue with VPN client not working? I could input my vpn information and it would say it was connected, but it wouldn't actually do anything and my IP address would stay the same.

looks like I'm on 0.72

Last edited:
@Guz
I managed to make my TV see the media server but for some reason there are no movies in the folders and the web status says I have 0 video on the drive even though there are about 700 GB of movies. Any sugestion?

@Guz
I managed to make my TV see the media server but for some reason there are no movies in the folders and the web status says I have 0 video on the drive even though there are about 700 GB of movies. Any sugestion?

I ran into this problem with my vizio google tv box, It did the same thing because it wasn't able to play certain file types, so it just wouldn't display them.

The problem here is not with the TV, it can play the files I have on the hdd without any issue, for example I don't have this problem with the stock asus rom but that room has some speed issues and my download speed is not very good. Padavan solves that problem but apparently I can't seem to properly configure the damn files to be seen by my tv, at least now the tv seems n65u as a media server so it's a step in the right direction, now I have to see why it wont show the content on the hdd.

Have you tried the "force rebuild database"? Sometimes it gets stuck.

Also, what format is the drive? FAT, FAT32, NTFS, ext?