What's new

PCE-AC68 Windows 10 Drivers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It seems like it's just the older driver. I downloaded and tried it anyway, my slow throughput problem remains still. Anyone could help? PCE-68 adapter with RT-AC68U router. Speed was fine before Win10, and since upgrading to Win10 it's only at 81Mbps currently. Tried everything I can possbily think of, nothing worked.

Email Asus and express your disappointment in the lack luster effort to provide us a new updated driver?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Email Asus and express your disappointment in the lack luster effort to provide us a new updated driver?

You won't believe what just happened when I called Asus.

The female agent who took my call vehemently denied that driver supports win10, in spite what the page lists, to the point of almost calling me lying. I read the link to her and made sure she got all the hyphens underscores etc right, asking her to go there and see for herself. And she denied the existence of that page, categorically. And refused to provide me with further trouble shooting since the driver doesn't support win10 yet. She also does't seem to know the difference between my ISP bandwidth and wifi throughput.

At this point, I am not even mad anymore.

You won't believe what just happened when I called Asus.

The female agent who took my call vehemently denied that driver supports win10, in spite what the page lists, to the point of almost calling me lying. I read the link to her and made sure she got all the hyphens underscores etc right, asking her to go there and see for herself. And she denied the existence of that page, categorically. And refused to provide me with further trouble shooting since the driver doesn't support win10 yet. She also does't seem to know the difference between my ISP bandwidth and wifi throughput.

At this point, I am not even mad anymore.

Not surprising. Between the 3 people I talked to in July, they all had a different answer if Windows 10 was supported or not...

Where is ASUS call centre based? Sounds like some dodgy outsourced call centre.

It seems like it's just the older driver. I downloaded and tried it anyway, my slow throughput problem remains still. Anyone could help? PCE-68 adapter with RT-AC68U router. Speed was fine before Win10, and since upgrading to Win10 it's only at 81Mbps currently. Tried everything I can possbily think of, nothing worked.
Since you cleanly install win 10. I think we rule out a software problem. Me and another user confirmed the driver indeed function without any problems. Can you confirm the card will work fine if you go back to win 8? Back up win10 using included back up tool. Before that try the following.
Maybe we should look at the environment or the hardware.
Are you using the Antenna base? if you're not, do it and put it on top of the case. If you are using it make sure the antennas and cables are secure. Check the router's wireless log to see if the RSSI is improving as you make antenna positioning adjustments. Which band are you using 2.4 or 5ghz? Did you use Asus's site survey on router and the adapter to make sure surrounding wi-fi isn't interfering? What is your RSSI?

Last edited:
Since you cleanly install win 10. I think we rule out a software problem. Me and another user confirmed the driver indeed function without any problems. Can you confirm the card will work fine if you go back to win 8? Back up win10 using included back up tool. Before that try the following.
Maybe we should look at the environment or the hardware.
Are you using the Antenna base? if you're not, do it and put it on top of the case. If you are using it make sure the antennas and cables are secure. Check the router's wireless log to see if the RSSI is improving as you make antenna positioning adjustments. Which band are you using 2.4 or 5ghz? Did you use Asus's site survey on router and the adapter to make sure surrounding wi-fi isn't interfering? What is your RSSI?

Snakebite, first, let me thank you for your reply. And here

1) I'm using the 5Ghz band and Asus's WLAN Controler Center software says my current signal strength is -36 dbm. Is this the same thing with RSSI? If not, do you mind pointing me to the right place for it?

2) I am using the antenna base and all 3 cables are secure. There is also no physical object between the adapter and router antennas. The distance is no more than 4~5 meters. However, I'm not familiar with the router wireless log tool you mentioned. I'm running the latest verion of Merlin, where would that be?

3) I haven't done site surveying yet, but I'll get on it when I get a chance.

4)Reverting back to Win8 to test if the adapter works there seems such a daunting task, so I agree I'll save this one for the absolute last. But I can confirm that before upgrading to win10, it worked flawlessly in win8.1 and I haven't done any hardware change, except for unplugging and replugging the adapter card from the PCI slot once. You don't suppose anything happened there, do you?

Snakebite, first, let me thank you for your reply. And here

1) I'm using the 5Ghz band and Asus's WLAN Controler Center software says my current signal strength is -36 dbm. Is this the same thing with RSSI? If not, do you mind pointing me to the right place for it?

2) I am using the antenna base and all 3 cables are secure. There is also no physical object between the adapter and router antennas. The distance is no more than 4~5 meters. However, I'm not familiar with the router wireless log tool you mentioned. I'm running the latest verion of Merlin, where would that be?

3) I haven't done site surveying yet, but I'll get on it when I get a chance.

4)Reverting back to Win8 to test if the adapter works there seems such a daunting task, so I agree I'll save this one for the absolute last. But I can confirm that before upgrading to win10, it worked flawlessly in win8.1 and I haven't done any hardware change, except for unplugging and replugging the adapter card from the PCI slot once. You don't suppose anything happened there, do you?
1)It's the same. Did you try the 2.4 band?
2)The wireless log is in the System log. Does it say your Rx / Tx Rate is 80Mbps?
4)Did you check if the mobo driver is up to date? It doesn't hurt to double check the adapter. Check contact pins. Try a different slot if you have any free.

How are you progressing with this issue? Mine has been rock solid using the 2.0.8.8 driver but one thing I did do was stop the ASUS WLAN controller center software from loading automatically (it was recommended by others here).

As a reference point I will post my settings here so you can compare. I get a solid connection of between 500 - 800Mbps.

Code:
PCE-AC68U settings / Windows 10
Version 6.30.223.228 date 6/02/2014

20/40 Coexistance = Auto
40MHz Intolerant = Disabled
802.11ac VHT Mode = 3
802.11h+d = Loose 11h
802.11n Preamble = Auto
Antenna Diversity = Auto
AP Compatibility Mode = High Performance
Association Roam Preference = Disabled
Band Preference = None
Bandwidth Capability = 11a/b/g:20/40MHz
BeamForming = Disabled
Bluetooth Collaboration = Auto
BSS PLCP Header = Auto (Short/Long)
BT-AMP = Enabled
Disable Bands = None
Disable Upon Wired Connect = Disabled
Fragmentation Threshold = 2346
IBSS 54g(tm) Protection Mode = Auto
IBSS Mode = 802.11a/b/g/n Auto
Locally Administered MAC Address = Not Present
Minimum Power Consumption = Disabled
Mixed Cell Support = Disabled
Power Output = 100%
Priority & VLAN = Priority & VLAN Disabled
Rate (802.11a) = Best Rate
Rate (802.11b/g) = Best Rate
Roam Tendency = Auto
Roaming Decision = Auto
RTS Threshold = 2347
Short GI = Auto
WMM = Auto
WZC IBSS Channel Number = 11(20MHz)
XPress (TM) Technology = Enabled

I have TP-Link T9E, uses the same Broadcom BCM4360 chip, and it works on Windows 10. Full speeds. Asus must have done a bad job or something.

1)It's the same. Did you try the 2.4 band?
2)The wireless log is in the System log. Does it say your Rx / Tx Rate is 80Mbps?
4)Did you check if the mobo driver is up to date? It doesn't hurt to double check the adapter. Check contact pins. Try a different slot if you have any free.
1) For some reason, my PC won't connect to 2.4Ghz, although all my other devices have no issue using the 2.4 (Edit: after restarting, it now connects to 2.4Ghz, at Rx/Tx 2 Mbps / 5 Mbps...Yeah, you read it right.
2) I checked wireless log and Rx/Tx is 81/600Mbps. So it seems only download is affected.
4) my motherboard has no new BIOS since purchase. I tried change the adapter to a different PCI-E slot, no effect.

Last edited:
How are you progressing with this issue? Mine has been rock solid using the 2.0.8.8 driver but one thing I did do was stop the ASUS WLAN controller center software from loading automatically (it was recommended by others here).

As a reference point I will post my settings here so you can compare. I get a solid connection of between 500 - 800Mbps.
Yeah I got no luck.

1) For some reason, my PC won't connect to 2.4Ghz, although all my other devices have no issue using the 2.4 (Edit: after restarting, it now connects to 2.4Ghz, at Rx/Tx 2 Mbps / 5 Mbps...Yeah, you read it right.
2) I checked wireless log and Rx/Tx is 81/600Mbps. So it seems only download is affected.
4) my motherboard has no new BIOS since purchase. I tried change the adapter to a different PCI-E slot, no effect.
What driver version is in the device manager? Did you do the site survey yet? What channel width are you using for your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band? Check the pin on the Antennas and cables, are they bend? Can you test the PC closer to the router? If there's no change then the only thing left to do is find out if it still works right with Win8. Make a back up of windows 10 using the back-up tool.

Hi everyone,
just had so sign up as I saw this thread.

I'm also having a hard time with my pce-ac68 @Windows10.

Well I'm using DD-WRT (newest BS build) on my RT-AC87U and it's working great except I can't chose the channels for 5Ghz. Also I have to chose "Canada" for Regulation stuff (any other country like france, germany or US makes my 5Ghz not able to be seen).
Because of this I had to mod the driver (2.0.8.8 version found @asus hp) inf (found in this forum also :) ) to be able to see higher channels.

On Windows 7 (I use dual boot) connection says 1300mbps --> I can transfer from/to my Samba Server(lan@1gbps to router) with around 50-70MB/s. Nice speed so far.
On Windows10 (same driver) connection says 1300mbps BUT transferrate seems to be somehow capped @100mbps --> transfer from/to my Samba Server ~12MB/s

I also tried to mod the Win8(.1) drivers, but well was not able to install them somehow (testmode on, digital sign check off). I just always get an error the file was changed etc. -.-

I also tried other Wifi settings in DD-WRT but well... It seems still capped in Windows 10 @100mbps.

Anyone any idea how to fix it?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
just had so sign up as I saw this thread.

I'm also having a hard time with my pce-ac68 @Windows10.

Well I'm using DD-WRT (newest BS build) on my RT-AC87U and it's working great except I can't chose the channels for 5Ghz. Also I have to chose "Canada" for Regulation stuff (any other country like france, germany or US makes my 5Ghz not able to be seen).
Because of this I had to mod the driver (2.0.8.8 version found @asus hp) inf (found in this forum also :) ) to be able to see higher channels.

On Windows 7 (I use dual boot) connection says 1300mbps --> I can transfer from/to my Samba Server(lan@1gbps to router) with around 50-70MB/s. Nice speed so far.
On Windows10 (same driver) connection says 1300mbps BUT transferrate seems to be somehow capped @100mbps --> transfer from/to my Samba Server ~12MB/s

I also tried to mod the Win8(.1) drivers, but well was not able to install them somehow (testmode on, digital sign check off). I just always get an error the file was changed etc. -.-

I also tried other Wifi settings in DD-WRT but well... It seems still capped in Windows 10 @100mbps.

Anyone any idea how to fix it?
Can you do some kind of speed test? Is the adapter capped at 100Mbps?

So the Asus site shows that the driver was updated 9/16/2015 which is yesterday, but the driver uploaded is still the same, lol https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download -- this company is a mess.

btw are you guys able to connect to 132 channel? I don't even see the network. If I change to 149-161 I can connect. I'm using an Airport Extreme btw. It prefers 132 with 'auto' and my macbook has great signal on that channel.

So the Asus site shows that the driver was updated 9/16/2015 which is yesterday, but the driver uploaded is still the same, lol https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download -- this company is a mess.

btw are you guys able to connect to 132 channel? I don't even see the network. If I change to 149-161 I can connect. I'm using an Airport Extreme btw. It prefers 132 with 'auto' and my macbook has great signal on that channel.

The download sites are mirrors that you need to wait to get populated first.

The driver version number and utility version number are still the same. The only thing that changed was the update date.

That doesn't change what I wrote. The download sites are not from one server.

Can you do some kind of speed test? Is the adapter capped at 100Mbps?

Hi,
I solved the problem.
Somehow I really had bad luck...
I used a 1gbps switch between the server(+other stuff).
The moment I tested Windows7 the switch was working as intended... In the timeframe I booted Windows10 the switch somehow went crazy --> 100mbps.
As I tested Win7 just 2-3min before I was sure it has to be Win10 capping.
Well yesterday I tested Win7 again--> also bad speed --> disconnected everything from the switch and connected directly to the router --> win7 speed again about 60-80MB/s (optimized some samba settings) --> win10 speed 75-90MB/s.

So it wasn't a Win10 fault but user related.
Doesn't matter, I'm happy that I got it fixed :D