What's new

PCE-AC68 Windows 10 Drivers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The one eye sore with the Asus official drivers for the PCE-AC68 on Windows 10, is Wake on Lan is greyed out, so basically unusable. Why this is, I have no idea, but it makes for headaches if you use Remote Desktop.

The one eye sore with the Asus official drivers for the PCE-AC68 on Windows 10, is Wake on Lan is greyed out, so basically unusable. Why this is, I have no idea, but it makes for headaches if you use Remote Desktop.

How about that BRCM driver I shared with you - same problem?

Can you check if you are able to set preference for 5ghz in newer drivers? I don't see the capability in .228 drivers and Windows keeps switching to 2.4ghz even though InSSIDer shows barely a difference in signal strength (actually 5ghz slightly stronger signal). I'm trying to avoid two SSIDs

Seems like based on current feedback - the Apple Bootcamp Drivers for the BCM4360 seem to be the most stable for Windows10 - limitation here is that those drivers are 64-bit only...

Everything else, seems to be fine...

Seems like based on current feedback - the Apple Bootcamp Drivers for the BCM4360 seem to be the most stable for Windows10 - limitation here is that those drivers are 64-bit only...

Everything else, seems to be fine...

Could you post a link?

Can you check if you are able to set preference for 5ghz in newer drivers? I don't see the capability in .228 drivers and Windows keeps switching to 2.4ghz even though InSSIDer shows barely a difference in signal strength (actually 5ghz slightly stronger signal). I'm trying to avoid two SSIDs
Why are you avoiding 2 ssids? That is preferred method with 2.4 and 5.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are you avoiding 2 ssids? That is preferred method with 2.4 and 5.0

I read some threads on here and it's split. For some it's preferred to have 2 SSIDs, and for others it's preferred to have one and let devices roam between bands. Devices wont roam very well between 2 SSIDs at all, but between 1 SSID they will roam much better, or at least they should. A bunch of people posted saying their devices roam efficiently. Unfortunately my devices don't even though I'm in a small apartment, so they really should just latch onto the 5ghz. I'll be moving in a year into a bigger place which I doubt will help. Right now it's fine to just stick devices on 5ghz since that's ideal everywhere I go. But once I have a bigger place I'll want my devices to roam between the bands depending on which room I'm in. Maybe I'll replace my Airport Extreme with a better router with stronger 5ghz signal.

It's pretty annoying that devices aren't more smart about roaming between 2 SSIDs. Both my windows 10 and OSX devices are being dumb about it. Like literally 10ft away from router, they'll switch to 2.4ghz even though 5ghz signal is -46 vs -42. Dont know why the OS's don't roam based on link rate and not signal

The driver version number and utility version number are still the same. The only thing that changed was the update date.
damn it. I installed the "new" driver, which forced us to install the ASUS utility. Anyway I went to C:\Program files(x86)\asus\ASUS utility or something\Driver\PCE-AC68folder, inside I see 4 folders:
  • MfgDriver
  • Win7
  • Win8
  • Win81
and where is Win10 folder? So we are using Win81 drivers...

I'm actually getting ping spikes (that only started with Windows 10 and not in 8.1) and I can't play my FPS games properly. After installing the driver nothing changed.

Attachments

• 0-problem.png
    0-problem.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Could you post a link?

Wish I could, but pushing a public link likely would put me in the crosshairs of folks up in the Valley...

Knowing however, the the Broadcom drivers that Apple has... they seem to work, so that's a fair argument back to ASUS and MSFT - find something that works... even if it's 64-bit only for Win10

damn it. I installed the "new" driver, which forced us to install the ASUS utility. Anyway I went to C:\Program files(x86)\asus\ASUS utility or something\Driver\PCE-AC68folder, inside I see 4 folders:
  • MfgDriver
  • Win7
  • Win8
  • Win81
and where is Win10 folder? So we are using Win81 drivers...

I'm actually getting ping spikes (that only started with Windows 10 and not in 8.1) and I can't play my FPS games properly. After installing the driver nothing changed.
0-problem.png
Is Beam-forming enable on the card? because it causes latency spike to the router.

Tried the stations-driver 7.35.307.0 today on my pce ac68 under Windows 10. I live in Europe.
The problem earlier with asus driver was that I could not use dfs-channels in 5GHz band and this annoys me.

Result: 2,4GHz network disappeared. I could connect to some dfs channels (100 tested fine, 140 not) , but at a lower rate than I expected.

I am now back at win 8.1 driver from asus at channel 44....waiting for Asus to release a proper driver.

Is Beam-forming enable on the card? because it causes latency spike to the router.
Default driver settings - Beamforming disabled.
I did a little investigation. The ping spikes only start to happen exactly 120seconds from logon to Windows 10, whereas before that it's completely fine. I start 3 command prompts at logon and at line 120 they start spiking every 5 seconds. At first I thought it could be my logon programs but I did a diagnostic startup with default services and no Startup programs and the issue remained. My brother with a 5 year old PC also with this card (mine's a 3 month old PC) has exactly the same problem that started with Windows 10. My PC speakers are old they have poor shielding so it picks up radio frequencies and I hear a little buzz sound exactly the moment the spikes show in command prompt. So this might have to do with some broadcasting or power issue. So I went to properties of the card in Device Manger and click on Power Management and disabled 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and then the spikes stopped for 20 minutes while I was monitoring them. But after rebooting, the problem came back.

It's funny though when I actually uninstall the driver in Device Manager and reinstall it, the ping spikes could totally stop, but sometimes they continue like it's completely random. Uninstalling and reinstalling until they stop each time I get spikes is ridiculous.

I tried another thumbdrive NIC and no ping spikes. The ping spikes are specific to this card. And it seems to be driver related.

EDIT: Found out also that whenever there was a ping spike the network card LEDs would flicker (blinking real fast like 10times/sec). I ran a packet capture but I found no evidence of any packet burst or network congestion during spikes.

Last edited:
Did you report it to Asus? My ping spike like that too. Actually the spike interval is less on mine.
I did the test with Apple's driver and it seems Asus's driver is still the best. Pike spike is a lot more frequent with Apple's driver.

Last edited:
Did you report it to Asus? My ping spike like that too. Actually the spike interval is less on mine.
I did the test with Apple's driver and it seems Asus's driver is still the best. Pike spike is a lot more frequent with Apple's driver.
It's good knowing someone else has the issue too. I haven't reported yet because I wasn't yet confident enough that the problem was mostly likely driver-related.

Reading others' experiences in this thread who have reported issues, seems like ASUS doesn't really read nor care. I don't' know if my issue would make a difference at all, since it doesn't really affect real-world usage -- there's no problem with throughput (SMB speeds on AC can read 80MB/s) but instead a problem of latency.

If I'm not wrong ASUS does read especially this forum to gather ideas for improving their products or repairing their drivers (e.g. the merlin build). I hope they come by this thread somehow but my hopes for them releasing a newer driver for w10 soon isn't really high seeing they just released one that was no different from the previous.

The more negative feedback you email/call ASUS on about these drivers, sooner they get off their butt and fixed them. Shame it's taken this long so far

ASUS PCE-AC68 Utility 2.1.0.8 is out
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download/

Oddly, the beamforming option was removed in 2.1.0.8

FWIW, with the new driver, the Utility kept initializing in a constant loop for me over and over.

Also, with an RT-AC3200, I kept connecting at 5G-2 40 HZ at very slow rates with the Asus/Broadcom 7.35.290.0 driver, so I've reverted back to 6.30.223.228, which connects properly to 5G-2 80 at least.

For me, the new Broadcom 7.35.290.0 drivers are a complete mess with Windows 10 Pro x64.

Last edited: