What's new

Recommend NAS for offsite backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbsmith

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I currently have a Synology DS412+ NAS. I'm looking to buy another NAS that I can have a a family member's house to serve as a remote network backup. I was looking at other Synology devices to serve this purpose and their lineup seems to limit me to the DS413J because I need a 4 bay.

However, my question is - are there cheaper alternatives? Of course I still want a 4 bay, but can I do a network backup to a QNAP or READYNAS? Or does it make sense to stay with he Synology line for ease of use (same OS, etc.).

Thanks!

Of course you can rsync to any other rsync-compatible NAS.

DS413j is the chespest 4-bay I found. Check for Thecus prices too.

That said, I'd recomnend sticking with the same brand.

Stick with the same brand, and same firmware on both. Why? Rsync versions and implementation are different between brands. Example: I have zero issues with onsite and offsite rsync between qnap boxes, but netgear rsync fails often to qnap with obscure protocol errors. I'm not saying that inter brand rsync won't work..just saying I've had multiple issues with it.

If you are comfortable with root access to the NAS and doing your own package mods etc, different story again as you will be able to standardize rsync packages yourself.