What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So to summarize my post above...5 GHz download speed after any version later than 380.58 slowed from 88 Mbps to about only 6 Mbps... The 2.4 GHz download speed was unaffected before or after any update. All speed tests were on Xifinity Speed Test on an MSI Apache Pro 2016 model with updated drivers in the same location....on Router Asus RT AC 87U

"You can only edit clients that are online - it doesn't work when the client is offline. "

For those clients I have DHCP addresses reserved via LAN DHCP page I can edit them if they are off-line.

Hi

Can you change icon in the list as well? i can only do this on my cable connected pc no other device.

My 5 Ghz network is now extremely slow on any release after 380.58. I was getting speeds of 88Mbs on Xfinity speed test on firmware version 380.58. Now I am getting about 6Mbs after upgrading to 380.61. My 2.4 Ghz network gets 46 Mbs on the same laptop in the same location which is about the same as it was getting on prior firmware releases. Having already ruled out any external factors...since my laptop is always in the same place...and also the same exact thing happened when i uploaded 380.59 but i went back to 380.58 the speed also went back up to about 88 Mbs on Xfinity speed test. My router is an RT AC 87U any ideas? My laptop is a MSI Apache Pro 2016 model with latest drivers.

87U here, just updated to .61 with a factory reset. My cable connection is 60 down and 25 up. These are my results, all same location:

Laptop 1 has an Atheros 946x adapter (N, not ac).
2.4 network --64 down 26 up. 144 mbps.
5 network --19 down and 9 up. 300 mbps.

Laptop 2, intel Centrino wireless, 2014 drivers
2.4g is 27 down, 24 up.
5 g is 4 down, 3 up, with a connection at 9 to 26 mbps.

Nexus 6P
2.4g is 66 down and 26 up, connects at 104 mbps, -67 dBm,
5g is 67 down and 27 up, 702 mbps, -77 dBm

So, while the 5 network is a weaker signal at the same spot, and connects putatively faster, there is something going on with the laptop/87U combo. But because the 6P isn't having any difficulty, I can't say it is the 87U or .61

Hunting a little further, I can see Windows 10 installed new drivers to laptop 1 3 days ago (2/27/16 version) with a result of "requires further installation". Requires further investigation.

So, I have a similar experience with 5 g but it could be the laptops, and I can't say what it was on .59.

I just upgraded my AC3200 to an AC5300 router. There are some changes to the Smart Connect settings. I can select all three bands for Smart Connect or just the 5GHz bands. When I select the 5GHz bands only, there appears a selection that is called "Band" that allows either "2.4GHz" or "5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2". There is nothing that shows when I try to get the help/tool tip for that setting. Does anyone have any idea what the "Band" setting does? Also when I select the "5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2" selection, I cannot make any changes to the Smart Connect settings. I believe this might be an ASUS issue and will report it to ASUS.

elorimer: Just recently I suffered huge laptop Wifi preformance drop as well. I found out that the reason was latest Windows 10 aniversary update which brought screen sharing feature to my Laptop. At first I enabled it withouth understanding how it will affect the wifi performance. Not sure if this is the reasong for your problems, but at least it's something you should check.

I am also another RT-AC68U user who upgraded to this version, and its been absolutely rock solid. The system log is very clean but I have to say, I don't use any USB/Cloud functions... just want to take the opportunity to say thanks so much once again!

Bought a 68U for one family member and a 56U for another. Unfortunately their iOS devices almost always connect to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz. When checking with inSSIDer I noticed that the 2.4 signal strength is indeed better than the 5, even close to the router…

Is there something in the ASUS or rmerlin firmware (both run 380.61) that I can use to tweak this?

(I experimented a bit with decreasing 2.4 Ghz TX power, but I could not find a good balance in the short time I had for experimenting)

Is there something in the ASUS or rmerlin firmware (both run 380.61) that I can use to tweak this?

Use two different SSIDs. Relying on the client to chose which band to connect to will always be unpredictable, as the client is the one responsible for deciding where to connect, not the router. And every client has different methods of deciding which band to select.

Bought a 68U for one family member and a 56U for another. Unfortunately their iOS devices almost always connect to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz. When checking with inSSIDer I noticed that the 2.4 signal strength is indeed better than the 5, even close to the router…

(I experimented a bit with decreasing 2.4 Ghz TX power, but I could not find a good balance in the short time I had for experimenting)
5Ghz signal by design and nature penetrates less far compared to 2.4Ghz signal. So that could explain part of the difference.

You might want to try a different channel for the 5Ghz radio. And check this forum for router settings that do not play well with Apple products and could possibly play a role as well.

I already use two different SSID's, but the iOS devices need to know the password for both of them, as for both families it's the only router in the house, so outside of the living room (where the router is located) the iOS devices should connect to 2.4 GHz.

Hi guys!

Just two doubts ... I have a RT-N66U with a very old stock firmware - v. 3.0.0.4.276. I want to change to this new Merlin´s version. So:

* I have only to flash this new version and do a factory reset (before and after flashing)?
* Will my wifi range get shorter with this new version?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for sending this old links!

Do you think John Fork´s firmware is as stable as Merlin´s? And if I want to roll back to old version, should I do it in rescue mode too?

Thanks again!

Hi guys!

Just two doubts ... I have a RT-N66U with a very old stock firmware - v. 3.0.0.4.276. I want to change to this new Merlin´s version. So:

* I have only to flash this new version and do a factory reset (before and after flashing)?
* Will my wifi range get shorter with this new version?

Thanks a lot!
I have a RT-N66R running 380.61 with no issues. Even feel range is as good or better than 380.57 which I upgraded from with no factory reset. Actually I did 380.57 with restore tool, configured router then upgraded to 380.58, 380.59 then 380.61. Five days up with no errors in the log and everything I use works well! Even the 1 TB USB drive.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Reactions: LHF
Thanks for your information!

But comparing to my old version 3.0.0.4.276 or John's Fork, the wifi range of this new version is worse.

Should I reset the router settings to the factory ones after updating from 380.59, or it's fine not to do so?

Hello everyone.

Been running 380.61 on my 2 x RT-AC86Us (one running in Wireless router mode and the 2nd running in Access Point mode) for about 5 days now and have been watching the 2 devices very closely. Everything seems to have been working fine however I discovered that on my main router running in Wireless Router mode, it has rebooted itself for some reason and I cannot understand why. The 2nd router in Access point mode did not reboot and has been online now for 5 days 0 hours 33 minute(s) 53 seconds.

Just so you know, these are the steps I followed for the upgrade to 380.61 from 378_9460 on both routers:

1. Reboot Router through GUI
2. Upgraded firmware
3. Reset to factory defaults
4. Set everything up manually.
5. Rebooted again just for kicks

Can anyone help me determine why my main router rebooted itself? The reboot scheduler is not enabled. Here is my main routers information:

Tools - System Information
line_export.png

Router
Model
RT-AC87U
Firmware Version 380.61
Firmware Build Fri Aug 5 01:19:47 UTC 2016 merlin@30c7946
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.3.2
Driver version wl0: May 27 2016 10:16:35 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
Quantenna Firmware 37.4.0.56
Features mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash ipv6 ipv6pt PARENTAL2 dnsfilter dualwan pptpd openvpnd printer modem wimax email webdav rrsut cloudsync media appbase timemachine bwdpi snmp tor diskutility HTTPS ssh vpnc psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn nfsd dnssec user_low_rssi sparse bcmfa rog tcode usericon stainfo cloudcheck reboot_schedule
Uptime 0 days 21 hours 11 minute(s) 21 seconds
Temperatures 2.4 GHz: 41°C - 5 GHz: 49°C - CPU: 63°C
CPU
CPU Model
ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 1000 MHz
CPU Load Average (1, 5, 15 mins) 0.13, 0.11, 0.07
Memory
Total
249.70 MB
Free 186.20 MB
Buffers 0.93 MB
Cache 11.20 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB
Internal Storage
NVRAM usage
44251 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 2.40 / 62.75 MB
Network
HW acceleration
Enabled (CTF only)
Connections 161 / 300000 - 81 active
Ethernet Ports
Port
VLAN Link State Last Device Seen
WAN 2 1000 Full Duplex 1C:AB:C0:6A:E9:02
LAN 4 1 1000 Full Duplex Apple-TV
LAN 3 1 1000 Full Duplex 00:15:99:2C:97:66
LAN 2 1 Down <none>
LAN 1 1 1000 Full Duplex <unknown>

Wireless clients (2.4 GHz) Associated: 1 - Authorized: 1 - Authenticated: 1
Wireless clients (5 GHz) Associated: 4 - Authorized: off - Authenticated: off
Wireless clients (5 GHz-1) Associated: 4 - Authorized: off - Authenticated: off
Wireless clients (5 GHz-2) Associated: 0 - Authorized: 0 - Authenticated: 0
Wireless clients (5 GHz) Associated: 4

I'll add logs in the next post

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!