What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62_1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am having an odd issue, with my laptop connecting to my server the transfer speed from the Laptop to the server is a tenth of the speed server to laptop.
If I disable QOS (adaptive) then the speed is fine again.

I have used the backup tool nvram-save-r24 , reset the router and uploaded the settings again but the problem persists.
My other computer has no problem either way and laptop to PC works fine as well.

Everythings on the same network and IP range 192.168.1.*

This is reproducible by transferring a large file then switching QOS off and on, it only seems to be an issue with wifi?

Try 'reproducing' the issue without using a saved settings file (not even one created with john9527's excellent NVRAM Save/Restore utility).

Try 'reproducing' the issue without using a saved settings file (not even one created with john9527's excellent NVRAM Save/Restore utility).
Will have a go later thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F

S
Still the same, odd one this. it doesn't always happen but only will do it when QOS is on.

I think I may have found a bug in this release. I'm using an ASUS RT-AC88U and for some reason my QOS bandwidth settings are reversed. I currently have a 100Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload service but when I set these values they are reversed when running speed test. The download caps at 7 and so does the upload (I'm assuming the ISP is doing that). I've attached a screen shot and I have to put the bandwidth limits in the opposite boxes for the speeds to be correct.

Attachments

• QOS settings.png
    QOS settings.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 679
I think I may have found a bug in this release. I'm using an ASUS RT-AC88U and for some reason my QOS bandwidth settings are reversed. I currently have a 100Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload service but when I set these values they are reversed when running speed test. The download caps at 7 and so does the upload (I'm assuming the ISP is doing that). I've attached a screen shot and I have to put the bandwidth limits in the opposite boxes for the speeds to be correct.

User error. You got it backwards.

And yes, while you may have it in opposite boxes, set it correctly and reboot.

User error. You got it backwards.

And yes, while you may have it in opposite boxes, set it correctly and reboot.
No, if I put the 100 in the download and the 7 in the upload I only get 7Mbps download. My screenshot shows what I have to do to get it to work.

On RT-N66U in Site Survey Radio column shows 100% signal level for all APs visible. Anyone else having this?

@Merlin
"The firmware image file format was changed by Asus.
Starting with 380.60, you will no longer be able to flash versions older than 380.60, or Asus versions older than 3.0.0.4.380_3000.

You can currently downgrade by using Firmware Recovery mode, but there's not guarantee that this will keep working in the future."

My question is:
When will not be downgraded, we will find out before the upgrade to that version?

Thanks, Merlin for a wonderful firmware.

No, if I put the 100 in the download and the 7 in the upload I only get 7Mbps download. My screenshot shows what I have to do to get it to work.

Traditional QoS has been known to be broken for quite some time.

@Merlin
"The firmware image file format was changed by Asus.
Starting with 380.60, you will no longer be able to flash versions older than 380.60, or Asus versions older than 3.0.0.4.380_3000.

You can currently downgrade by using Firmware Recovery mode, but there's not guarantee that this will keep working in the future."

My question is:
When will not be downgraded, we will find out before the upgrade to that version?

Thanks, Merlin for a wonderful firmware.

I don't understand your question. As you quoted, downgrade limitation has already been in place since 380.60.

Traditional QoS has been known to be broken for quite some time.
Thank you for the information. Is there a recommended configuration for QOS? I mostly game. I also have been having a strange issue with my cable modem going down most evenings and Charter insists it's something on my network. This is why I manually set the bandwidth. They said if I "redline" my modem it will shutdown but I can't figure out how I'd be doing that since it's gone down even with no one using the internet. It works fantastic all day but tanks most evenings. If I reboot the modem, all is good again.

Thank you for the information. Is there a recommended configuration for QOS? I mostly game.

Use Adaptive QoS. You can increase priority for gaming if you want, tho it should already be fairly high.

They said if I "redline" my modem it will shutdown

I'd say that's BS. If a modem crashes when you push it to its max, then either the modem is defective, or something's wrong with the ISP or the line. I would contact them again, and hope to speak to someone more knowledgeable than whoever gave you that explanation.

Use Adaptive QoS. You can increase priority for gaming if you want, tho it should already be fairly high.

I'd say that's BS. If a modem crashes when you push it to its max, then either the modem is defective, or something's wrong with the ISP or the line. I would contact them again, and hope to speak to someone more knowledgeable than whoever gave you that explanation.
Yeah, that's what I thought but I've been going round and round with them for over a month now. They've replaced the modem and checked all the connections. Is there a way to see how much bandwidth I'm using at certain times of the day in the router software? All I see is the total amount downloaded or uploaded at certain times. I'd like to know what the speed is in the evening when this happens.

Yeah, that's what I thought but I've been going round and round with them for over a month now. They've replaced the modem and checked all the connections. Is there a way to see how much bandwidth I'm using at certain times of the day in the router software? All I see is the total amount downloaded or uploaded at certain times. I'd like to know what the speed is in the evening when this happens.

Traffic Monitor has a "Last 24 hours" page that will show you the throughput during that period.

I don't understand your question. As you quoted, downgrade limitation has already been in place since 380.60.

I apologize for expression, but does not speak English very well.
Rephrase the question:
If it will not be possible to return to the 380.59 version (even by Firmware Recovery Mode), then we'll know that?
I mean, exactly, maybe I want to get back to the 380.59 version and I would like to know if there will be a firmware does not allow it (even by Firmware Recovery Mode), as can be now.

My fear is related to what you said here: ".....but there's not guarantee that this will keep working in the future."

Rephrase the question:
If it will not be possible to return to the 380.59 version (even by Firmware Recovery Mode), then we'll know that?
I mean, exactly, maybe I want to get back to the 380.59 version and I would like to know if there will be a firmware does not allow it (even by Firmware Recovery Mode), as can be now.

My fear is related to what you said here: ".....but there's not guarantee that this will keep working in the future."

There's a chance that Asus might someday update the bootloader to also only accept certified firmwares in the Firmware Recovery mode. It's impossible to tell if they intend to do this, and when that would happen. That's why I'm saying that "firmware recovery mode works for now" - I don't know what will happen in the future.

I'm sure if Asus eventually start to also lock down at the bootloader level, it will be widely discussed on the forums. But personally, I don't think that's an issue. 380.62 is a very stable release, and 380.59 will gradually become more vulnerable, as security issues (such as those recently fixed in OpenSSL) will begin to appear.

Downgrading is almost always a short term solution - it's rarely a long-term plan. 380.59 is nearly a year old by now.

@ Merlin
Thanks for the reply, but I have the following problem with the new firmware (380.61 and 380.62) on RT-AC68U and RT-AC3200:
My network printer (MFP HP LaserJet Pro M127fn) enters standby mode after a while and never returns. If I want to print something no longer receives the order and the only solution is to close and restart printer from on/off button.
I reinstalled the old firmware 380.59 and everything returned to normal. Now the printer wakes up from standby and print anytime.
Note that this happens on two different routers (RT-AC68U and RT-AC3200).
It is very annoying and that is why I am compelled to remain to version 380.59.

Any idea how can I fix this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Rephrase the question:

Yes you can downgrade

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/re...-61-is-now-available.33994/page-6#post-274879

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!