What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62_1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just upgrade from 380.62 to 380.62_1 on my RT-AC68P and for the first time ever I got a message saying upgrade complete, please manually restart router. That was very frustrating because I was not expecting it. Is this going to be the norm for all updates now? I didn't see anything in the changelog about this new behavior.
thats normal.

leave it a minute or two and the gui comes up....re enter name and password....

Upgraded from 360.62 to 380.62_1 without issue.

I just upgrade from 380.62 to 380.62_1 on my RT-AC68P and for the first time ever I got a message saying upgrade complete, please manually restart router. That was very frustrating because I was not expecting it. Is this going to be the norm for all updates now? I didn't see anything in the changelog about this new behavior.

This has been occasionally happening for years, nothing new there. The router only has one single firmware partition, so rebooting always carries a risk of failing after flashing. When that happens, the webui will detect that the router is taking an abnormal long time to come back, and will display this notice.

Merlin is your firmware keeping overclock values after a reboot?

No, these values are overwritten by closed source portions of the code.

Can someone confirm this issue? It would be a show-stopper for me.

The ability for a disk to go to sleep depends on both whether the external HDD supports it, and ensuring that you have nothing writing to the disk. There has been zero change to the firmware code related to the idle daemon.

The ability for a disk to go to sleep depends on both whether the external HDD supports it, and ensuring that you have nothing writing to the disk. There has been zero change to the firmware code related to the idle daemon.

Is there a way to see what is writing/using the disk?

I have a WD My Book 1140 (2TB) connected to the USB3.0 port and a 256GB flash disk to the USB2.0 port of my RT-AC1900P.

Download Master is downloading to the flash disk on the USB2.0 port, the 2TB WD drive is spinning down occasionally/unreliably. When I unmount the 2TB drive, it spins down reliably. (I made sure to close all Samba shares and FTP connections)

@wocram - On the Tools>Other Settings page, under the Tweaks section, try setting the regularly flush caches setting to 'N0'....otherwise things like just opening the router gui can cause a disk access and reset the spindown timer. You'll see a higher memory use, but it will make Linux run a lot smoother.

@wocram - On the Tools>Other Settings page, under the Tweaks section, try setting the regularly flush caches setting to 'N0'....otherwise things like just opening the router gui can cause a disk access and reset the spindown timer. You'll see a higher memory use, but it will make Linux run a lot smoother.

Thanks for the suggestion John.
However on the Tools>Other Settings page I don't see the "flush caches option", am I looking in the wrong place?

xdfyd.png

Thanks for the suggestion John.
However on the Tools>Other Settings page I don't see the "flush caches option", am I looking in the wrong place?
Hmmm....looks like @RMerlin needs to make a change to have the option shown for the 1900P.
Try setting it manually ....telnet/ssh to the router and

nvram set drop_caches=0
nvram commit

then reboot the router

Hmmm....looks like @RMerlin needs to make a change to have the option shown for the 1900P.
Try setting it manually ....telnet/ssh to the router and

nvram set drop_caches=0
nvram commit

then reboot the router

Entered the commands over telnet and rebooted the router.

After the reboot, USB3.0 connection on router "Network Map" page showed "No Device" until I unplugged/replugged the 2TB HD USB cable..

HD spinned down after 2x the set spindown time (300sec), lets see if it is persistently spinning down now.. Thanks for your time John.

Entered the commands over telnet and rebooted the router.

After the reboot, USB3.0 connection on router "Network Map" page showed "No Device" until I unplugged/replugged the 2TB HD USB cable..
That's really strange.....don't have an explanation for that one. Is the 2TB disk using an external power supply or drawing power from the router USB. If it continues to act up, you might consider the separate power supply option.

HD spinned down after 2x the set spindown time (300sec), lets see if it is persistently spinning down now.. Thanks for your time John.
There can be some disk accesses as the various services do their startup. Keep an eye on it.

Just as a comment.....spinning a drive up and down a lot is really rough on a drive. If there is a chance that you can have accesses separated by slightly more than the 5 minutes, I'd increase the timer. Personally, I use 30 minutes as my spindown time.

That's really strange.....don't have an explanation for that one. Is the 2TB disk using an external power supply or drawing power from the router USB. If it continues to act up, you might consider the separate power supply option.

The 2TB drive is powered by external adapter.

can be some disk accesses as the various services do their startup. Keep an eye on it.

I will monitor the behavior these coming days.

Just as a comment.....spinning a drive up and down a lot is really rough on a drive. If there is a chance that you can have accesses separated by slightly more than the 5 minutes, I'd increase the timer. Personally, I use 30 minutes as my spindown time.

Thanks for the suggestion John. Will increase the timer first to 15 minutes and when the spin-down behavior is consistent to 30 minutes.

After upgrading firmware, and it says I should do a manual reboot; does that mean that I should turn off the router by using switch and then turn it on again? Or does it mean that I can just go to webui, and hit reboot button?

Upgrading from 380.62 to 380.62_1

After upgrading firmware, and it says I should do a manual reboot; does that mean that I should turn off the router by using switch and then turn it on again? Or does it mean that I can just go to webui, and hit reboot button?

Many times, the reboot button in the gui is sufficient. But with my customers being spread out across many miles, I not only reboot via the gui, I also do a 'hard' reboot too.

Hard reboot;
pull the power cord from the router and wait at least 10 minutes (I also usually pull the power to the modem at this point too).

After 10 minutes have passed with the modem and router without power, I plug in the modem, wait 5 minutes and then plug in the router and make sure the network is 'live' before I leave that customers premises.

thats normal.

leave it a minute or two and the gui comes up....re enter name and password....

This has been occasionally happening for years, nothing new there. The router only has one single firmware partition, so rebooting always carries a risk of failing after flashing. When that happens, the webui will detect that the router is taking an abnormal long time to come back, and will display this notice.

I gave it about 5 minutes but the gui never got past that error message. I had to break out the ladder to get to the router in order to physically turn it off and on. Came up as 380.62_1.

My AC88U appears to have the IPTables issue described in the 380.62_1 changelog. It will not connect to my NVG589, and the 589 does not see it in the list of connected devices. This renders my LAN completely unable to connect, both to LAN devices like my NAS, and to the Internet itself. The SSH correction listed in the changelog is Greek to me.

What do I need to do to fix this? Installing 380.62_1 did not correct the issue. I’m currently trying to downgrade to 380.61, but I'm pessimistic this will work.

Edit: I appear to be back up. Recovery steps:
1. Downgrade to 380.61.
2. Factory reset.
3. Verify restored connectivity.
4. Upgrade to 380.62_1.

Last edited:
Hi to all,
My router is an RT-N66u (firmware merlin 380.62) with wan set to PPPoe connection.
When i enable IPV6 i get randomly crashes, without ipv6 enabled router is ok, no reboot.
There is a solution to use ipv6?

After the reboot you should find the old syslog.log-1 in the /tmp folder. See if it's available and check/post the last entries. Perhaps it will help to identify the issue.

Hi to all,
My router is an RT-N66u (firmware merlin 380.62) with wan set to PPPoe connection.
When i enable IPV6 i get randomly crashes, without ipv6 enabled router is ok, no reboot.
There is a solution to use ipv6?

Upgrade to the latest 380.62_1.

What options are you using in IPv6? Are they the recommended options for your ISP?

You may need to do a full reset to factory defaults followed by a manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. This step makes sure that it isn't a random glitch caused by older variables in the latest firmware (which may use them differently or not at all).

You may also need to reset your ISP connection by turning off all network equipment and then powering up the network in the proper order too.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Now after a few days it still appears to be running smoothly, but I am unable to login to the router. It did load the login page the first time, but once I entered the user/pass It just keeps running saying "waiting for 192.168.1.1"
You can use the firmware recovery utility and recovery mode to flash the router and that may help. Those steps are:

1. Power down the router.
  2. While powering up the router press and hold the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly. This means the router is now in recovery mode. When power led starts blinking slowly, release the reset button and proceed.
  3. Make sure to match the IP and subnet mask of your router in the IPv4 settings for your Ethernet adapter. For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then manually adjust your Ethernet adapter's (yes you need one) IP to something like 192.168.1.10 and the subnet must match exactly, usually 255.255.255.0.
  4. With the router in recovery mode attach your Ethernet cable to any Ethernet port other than #1 as it might be the RealTEK switch and will not work.
  5. Now use the firmware recovery utility to flash whatever you want.
  6. I would also clear the nvram by powering the router down once flashing is complete, then power it back up while pressing the WPS button until the power LED blinks rapidly. However, you can try skipping this step.
  7. Reboot.
  8. If you cleared your nvram settings then reconfigure your settings manually or by using the nvram save/restore utility from john9527 which you can get here. You will have to use the nvram utility before starting to save your firmware settings if you wish to use it to restore your settings after flashing.
Good luck.

You can use the firmware recovery utility and recovery mode to flash the router and that may help. Those steps are:

1. Power down the router.
  2. While powering up the router press and hold the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly. This means the router is now in recovery mode. When power led starts blinking slowly, release the reset button and proceed.
  3. Make sure to match the IP and subnet mask of your router in the IPv4 settings for your Ethernet adapter. For example, if your router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then manually adjust your Ethernet adapter's (yes you need one) IP to something like 192.168.1.10 and the subnet must match exactly, usually 255.255.255.0.
  4. With the router in recovery mode attach your Ethernet cable to any Ethernet port other than #1 as it might be the RealTEK switch and will not work.
  5. Now use the firmware recovery utility to flash whatever you want.
  6. I would also clear the nvram by powering the router down once flashing is complete, then power it back up while pressing the WPS button until the power LED blinks rapidly. However, you can try skipping this step.
  7. Reboot.
  8. If you cleared your nvram settings then reconfigure your settings manually or by using the nvram save/restore utility from john9527 which you can get here. You will have to use the nvram utility before starting to save your firmware settings if you wish to use it to restore your settings after flashing.
Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate the response, DaveMishSr.

However, I just rebooted the router, and put in the new 380.62.1, just for the cause. I'll try to monitor it more now and see if it happens again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!