What's new

Router with native EXT4 support for USB attached storage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb510

New Around Here
I'm having trouble finding this info. Most routers report support FAT/NTFS and the Airports HFS+, but do any support EXT out of the box?

In the past I've run dd-wrt which obviously supports that, but looking for an AC router now that I wouldn't need to run custom firmware on and which I could connect an EXT4 drive to with reasonable performance.

OpenWRT supports EXT out of the box and i think tomato might as well. ASUS firmware also might support EXT since it is linux based and you will find linux running under the hood but you will need to ask @RMerlin about this

I'm having trouble finding this info. Most routers report support FAT/NTFS and the Airports HFS+, but do any support EXT out of the box?

Yes.. most routers support EXT3/4 natively, but you might need to format the disk outside of the Router/AP

I've found a few threads referencing ext4 and @RMerlin's firmware, which does seem to support ext4. I considered putting that on my AC68.

Here though I was hoping for native support from a new router. Looks like the Linksys WRT1900AC supports ext3 but not ext4.

Asus has a table here:
http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

Oddly while some do support ext4 they're limited to 4TB... which maybe means the data is outdated in larger drives didn't exist, but almost maybe really means my 5TB drive won't work...

Continuing that discussion specific to Asus/Merlin on this thread: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-merlins-firmware-a-5tb-hdd.26331/

If anyone knows of a router with native ext4 5TB support that's really what I'm looking for.

Although, I forgot some are now support HFS+ which would also be workable.

All this just to bridge 3-4 months until I get a new NAS at the other house and can bring the old one here...