What's new

Routerboard USB - what you can do with them

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

System Error Message

Part of the Furniture
This will be part of my multi tutorial series for mikrotik routerboards. I know i know you want to see the QoS and other configurations but that will take time to write and test so i thought i'd mention this first so that the reviews can be updated.

Many routerboards have USB ports, and since routerOS has the same features across all platforms they will do the same thing. heres what you can do with a routerboard's USB port

- Use a modem like a mobile network modem
- Use a GPS to supplement the NTP/SNTP time keeping for extra accuracy (no routerboards come with RTCs to remember the time when they power off). Very high compatibility across the board but you have to guess the bus and device number for config.
- attach a usb storage for the purpose of a file server (FTP,TFTP, SAMBA (definitely not very good at this))
- usb storage for the purpose of proxy cache(faster web browsing and web downloads), logs and files to reduce wear on system flash
- power a raspberry pi 2 as a companion to the routerboard (dont forget to attach the network cable) and use routerOS with suricata running on the pi, and using the pi's sensors as monitoring and API to talk to router for additional monitoring and regular updates.
- attach a usb wifi adapter (limited compatibility)
- slowly recharge/power USB devices including phones, usb fans, etc
- attach a UPS for monitoring using the UPS package
- may work with usb screens on some routerboards (untested)
-usb to serial adapter?

What you cant do with a usb port on any routerboard is use a printer/scanner/mouse/keyboard/controller

I look forward to this series. Always wanted to learn more about these without having to put my hands on one.